Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

'Ping Pong Poms' Sunday Night Channel 7

'Ping Pong Poms' Sunday Night Channel 7

Old Jul 23rd 2012, 2:26 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 'Ping Pong Poms' Sunday Night Channel 7

That program Sunday Night Channel 7 programme is toxic. They did an update last night. People ranting about the family taking citizenship and then leaving the country, and a suggestion that take-it-out-and-leave-citizens will be able to claim Aussie state pension rights. I didn't know it was worth anything.

I think departing Brit migrants are doing what anyone else would do under the circumstances. If PR visas were for life (without having to renew them/prove continued Aus residence every four years or so) it's likely that a lot less people would take out citizenship...
Old Jul 23rd 2012, 2:49 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry
That program Sunday Night Channel 7 programme is toxic. They did an update last night. People ranting about the family taking citizenship and then leaving the country, and a suggestion that take-it-out-and-leave-citizens will be able to claim Aussie state pension rights. I didn't know it was worth anything.

I think departing Brit migrants are doing what anyone else would do under the circumstances. If PR visas were for life (without having to renew them/prove continued Aus residence every four years or so) it's likely that a lot less people would take out citizenship...
My PR has technically run out as we cant afford citizenship at the moment.
Old Jul 23rd 2012, 3:49 am
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry

Was the reporter on this story a guy named Peter FitzSimons?

If so, he is described on Wikipedia as being an outspoken republican who supports changes to the Australian flag.

If he was the reporter, I don't know if his views were discussed as part of the story, but I certainly think they could have been.

Also I think there was a post story remark suggesting ping pong poms could claim both UK and Australian pensions?

I'm not sure if this is correct? Can anyone confirm?

Regardless, I am of the opinion that some Australians have a divisive agenda.
Old Jul 23rd 2012, 3:58 am
Living in the mountains

earlybird is a name known to allearlybird is a name known to allearlybird is a name known to allearlybird is a name known to allearlybird is a name known to allearlybird is a name known to allearlybird is a name known to allearlybird is a name known to allearlybird is a name known to allearlybird is a name known to allearlybird is a name known to all

Originally Posted by brissybee
Was the reporter on this story a guy named Peter FitzSimons?

If so, he is described on Wikipedia as being an outspoken republican who supports changes to the Australian flag.

If he was the reporter, I don't know if his views were discussed as part of the story, but I certainly think they could have been.

Also I think there was a post story remark suggesting ping pong poms could claim both UK and Australian pensions?

I'm not sure if this is correct? Can anyone confirm?

Regardless, I am of the opinion that some Australians have a divisive agenda.
Yes it was Peter Fitzsimons. His wife is Lisa Wilkinson on Channel Nine's Today show and from memory he represented Australia in Rugby Union.
Old Jul 23rd 2012, 4:08 am
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by earlybird
Yes it was Peter Fitzsimons. His wife is Lisa Wilkinson on Channel Nine's Today show and from memory he represented Australia in Rugby Union.
Well I do wonder what the point of the story was.

I doubt it was to promote harmony between Australia/UK ... but maybe I'm just a cynic.

Anyway, I think his republican views should have been reported as part of the story.
Old Jul 23rd 2012, 9:00 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

I doubt it was to promote harmony between Australia/UK ... but maybe I'm just a cynic.

Anyway, I think his republican views should have been reported as part of the story.
Agreed, but it wouldn't have "worked" for their story. I've always found Aussie TV journalism to be rather shabby, and that report confirms it. But what do we expect of a channel that stretches a one and a half hour movie to over three and a half?
Old Jul 24th 2012, 1:00 am
BE Forum Addict

JoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by earlybird
He has a regular column in the SMH. Pretty good actually, one of the better aussie columnists imo.
Old Jul 24th 2012, 1:21 am
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

What have his republican views got to do with anything? I'm sure there are plenty of old-school monarchists who have the same issues with naturalised people going home again. The bottom line is once naturalised you are a citizen, and citizens can leave and return any time they like.
Old Jul 24th 2012, 7:11 am
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Cheetah7
My PR has technically run out as we cant afford citizenship at the moment.
us to, we just cant be bothered
Old Jul 24th 2012, 7:22 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

The whole point of the story was to create DISharmony, it is what these tabloid channels do best and they made a great choice in getting Fitzsimons to do the show.
something I have noticed since being back is that you rarely if ever hear a word about Australia in the media whereas in Australia there seemed to be a never ending stream of negative stories about 'bloody Poms'. the country will be able to take a huge step forward when it gets rid of the massive chip on its shoulder.

Old Jul 24th 2012, 9:20 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Margaret3
I think I am still scarred from gathering the paperwork and all the hassle with applying for our visa.

The mere thought of gathering documents again brings me out into a cold sweat, oh that and the fact it costs heaps.
Old Jul 24th 2012, 9:32 am

ukecadet is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Margaret3
We can't be bothered either.Feel a bit bad about it occasionally.Been a bit awkward sometimes when mates have automatically assumed I'm a citizen only to discover I'm not.
Old Jul 24th 2012, 10:33 am
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think you're a cynic, I just think you have far too high an opinion of the importance of Australian-UK relations to tabloid journalists and have a chip on your shoulder about republicanism.
Old Jul 24th 2012, 11:41 am
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
The whole point of the story was to create DISharmony, it is what these tabloid channels do best and they made a great choice in getting Fitzsimons to do the show.
something I have noticed since being back is that you rarely if ever hear a word about Australia in the media whereas in Australia there seemed to be a never ending stream of negative stories about 'bloody Poms'. the country will be able to take a huge step forward when it gets rid of the massive chip on its shoulder.
I largely avoid Australian TV because it is such poor quality, but I have to say that I don't think I have ever heard reference to "bloody poms" on what I have watched. In fact they never talk about the UK full stop unless it is in reference to a news story, etc.
Old Jul 24th 2012, 6:35 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Cheetah7
I think I am still scarred from gathering the paperwork and all the hassle with applying for our visa.

The mere thought of gathering documents again brings me out into a cold sweat, oh that and the fact it costs heaps.
How much does it cost?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.