Pilbara

Old Jul 14th 2020, 1:29 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat098 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Pilbara

There are some amazing sights to see here, beautiful place

Old Jul 14th 2020, 2:51 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pilbara

Yes, fantastic. Especially this time of year.
Old Jul 14th 2020, 3:45 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by carcajou
Yes, fantastic. Especially this time of year.
it just goes to show how far we've come that we now describe a 30° day as comfortable . Honest truth is id move here if my wife would, the wilderness is absolutely beautiful
Old Jul 14th 2020, 4:53 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stevenglish1
Agree. You think it's just going to be a flat, boring nothing (and much of it is) but parts are just absolutely stunning. I think the harsh, unrelenting climate is part of the appeal. I don't think you can get a handle on the scale and vastness of the place without going. I would never want to live in the Pilbara but do enjoy my work trips up there
Old Jul 14th 2020, 4:56 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

it just goes to show how far we've come that we now describe a 30° day as comfortable . Honest truth is id move here if my wife would, the wilderness is absolutely beautiful
Tom Price is a lovely little town but other places like Paraburdoo and Newman are not very nice

My wife would never move there!
Old Jul 14th 2020, 5:17 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Tom Price is a lovely little town but other places like Paraburdoo and Newman are not very nice

My wife would never move there!
I've spent time in all 3 over the years, the outskirts of Newman are beautiful but tom price is probably my favourite too.. Based out of Hedland at the moment and going to remote depots from there. I did a google map thing when I was at yandi and it had a full train coming out of the train load out, absolutely mind blowing scale. I'm there in a couple of weeks I'll do it again and try to post it. Yandi has a few years left in it then it'll be rehabilitated, and nature takes hold real quick there. When i eventually leave, a piece of my heart will be staying there
Old Jul 14th 2020, 5:30 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Karratha is the best place to live up there. A lot of quality services etc, and you're only an hour from the Burrup Peninsula and Millstream. I could be talked into living there and I know people who have been able to manage quite long stints there.

Looking at the map you would think Karratha and Port Hedland would be pretty similar but they are not - chalk and cheese. Port Hedland is the world's biggest FIFO camp and I could never live there.

Newman is more of a mixed bag.

Old Jul 14th 2020, 10:06 am
Forum Regular

Retirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond repute

30 is comfortable, if the humidity is low.
Old Jul 14th 2020, 10:53 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Great photos, thank you. Particularly love the lizard.
Old Jul 17th 2020, 9:02 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Great photos, thank you. Particularly love the lizard.
I'll dig out the one of the wild horses I saw the other day when I get phone reception back (repeater has pooped itself) but this one is from Google maps. Tis is the mine I've been working at on and off, ant this is a train emerging from the train load out ready to go to port. The trains used to be 3 Km long, but they're a paltry 2 and a bit Km long now. It was quite some timing to get this photo, but I'll post the link as well. This is mining on a massive scale.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ya...6!4d119.202604
Old Jul 17th 2020, 9:08 am
Account Closed

Karratha is the best place to live up there. A lot of quality services etc, and you're only an hour from the Burrup Peninsula and Millstream. I could be talked into living there and I know people who have been able to manage quite long stints there.

Looking at the map you would think Karratha and Port Hedland would be pretty similar but they are not - chalk and cheese. Port Hedland is the world's biggest FIFO camp and I could never live there.

Newman is more of a mixed bag.
I reckon I'd go for Point Sampson or Dampier, lovely places, Sampson probably edges it for me, when I finally leave here I'll miss it for sure.
Old Jul 18th 2020, 8:48 am
BE Forum Addict

I reckon I'd go for Point Sampson or Dampier, lovely places, Sampson probably edges it for me, when I finally leave here I'll miss it for sure.
Just, watch out for Roebourne which is pretty notorious in Western Australia.

I will second you on Dampier though I actually find Point Samson overrated!

Have you been to the Pink Pub at Whim Creek?
Old Jul 18th 2020, 9:19 am
Account Closed

Just, watch out for Roebourne which is pretty notorious in Western Australia.

I will second you on Dampier though I actually find Point Samson overrated!

Have you been to the Pink Pub at Whim Creek?
Roebourne is just a shithole isnt it? Whim Creek is pretty good , although I was working so only had a coke. 7 bucks the conning buggers
Old Jul 18th 2020, 9:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Roebourne is just a shithole isnt it? Whim Creek is pretty good , although I was working so only had a coke. 7 bucks the conning buggers
No, unfortunately Roebourne is a bit more than that. The ABC called it "The Heart of Darkness:"

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-08-...s/8842220?nw=0

Love the Corellas at Whim Creek.
Old Jul 18th 2020, 9:57 am
Account Closed

Bloody he'll, didn't realise it was that bad, sounds like the jail is safer. Strange enough I was working with a bloke from Wickham today, I like that place

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.