Perth trading hours

Old Dec 21st 2009, 9:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Kingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to behold
Default Perth trading hours

This seems to be a hotly debated subject in Perth (not sure about other states) as the government believe that Sunday trading in particular should never be allowed as it should be family time.

What I don't get is that every shop is open on Boxing Day! Surely if any 2 days of the year should be family time is is the 25th and 26th.

I find it to be a shame that shops can't stay shut for 2 days over the festive period and I always though people were completely nuts to be standing outside Next at 5.30 am on Boxing Day!
Old Dec 22nd 2009, 7:01 am
BE Forum Addict

ozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Perth trading hours

It's the first year that all the shops will be open on Boxing Day. Last year a few were open "as an experiment". I remember one retailer saying on the news last year that they wouldn't bother opening again on Boxing Day as not many people came to shop.

Nevertheless, the politicans decided we needed the shops open on Boxing Day - and that's what we've got this year.

Yes, I think it's a shame as well.

As for your comment that the "government believe that Sunday trading should never be allowed", you are very wrong there. The Liberals (our current government party) are strongly pushing for the shops to the open on Sundays.

They couldn't get the vote through parliament because Labor voted against it. The Liberals then decided to declare many areas of Perth "tourist precincts", which means they can open on Sundays. I think that's a shame as well.
Old Dec 22nd 2009, 11:47 am
BE Enthusiast

mulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond repute

Shops in the tourist areas have always been open on Sundays since I have been here . I think the government is just trying to be more inclusive for the areas missing out.
Shopping Malls in Rockingham and Mandurah have been opening seven days a week and on Boxing Day and doing a great trade every year so there is demand.
Old Dec 22nd 2009, 10:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Personally i cant not figure out what in gods name it has to do with politicians. Other than they like to play the power games on the rest of us. It is supposed to be a free market economy so let supply and demand dictate what and when is open
Old Dec 23rd 2009, 1:54 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by verystormy
Personally i cant not figure out what in gods name it has to do with politicians. Other than they like to play the power games on the rest of us. It is supposed to be a free market economy so let supply and demand dictate what and when is open

Yes, I am sure that there are a great many single people, people without kids etc who resent being told that they can't shop on a Sunday because it's a 'family day'. I know that I would do.

If there is a market for sunday trading, then it should be opened up so that those that choose to trade and those that choose to shop can do so.

S