Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Are people still moving to Oz?

Are people still moving to Oz?

Old Oct 6th 2014, 8:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are people still moving to Oz?

Back in the primary school days, mid 2000's, you would see masses of UK immigrants, classes would often swell by 6/7 families arriving usually from UK.

I would say from those we still know of, at least half have moved back, especially last year, once high school was finished. Few that stuck it out made good lives, but you always hear the usual doubts, too far, too expensive, miss family ....

Aus forum is very quiet now, dead actually. Mind you there are a few posters who patrol the forum swooping on anyone, and turning any thread into a UK V Aus contest. Very boring and makes it not worth posting anymore.
Old Oct 6th 2014, 10:47 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
I would say from those we still know of, at least half have moved back, especially last year, once high school was finished. Few that stuck it out made good lives, but you always hear the usual doubts, too far, too expensive, miss family ....
Once my lot move out in a few years time the Mrs and I will be spending a lot more time in the UK. The plan is probably 6 months UK (spring/summer) 6 months Dunsborough/Margaret River area (Spring/Summer).

That's the dream! A lot can happen between now and that though.
Old Oct 6th 2014, 11:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

For sure. The need for skilled labour has certainly slowed. I know in 2011 when I was transferred the company also imported about 20 others in a total local staff of about 100. Thats 20% - quite a large number of people that could not be sourced locally. As the mining slowed and the knock on effects to other big engineering companies slowed the import need has diminished.

I was in Perth last week and as always my travel budget was increased to account for 'Perth'. As an indicator there's still plenty of construction in terms of apartments. Can they sell these places?
Old Oct 7th 2014, 12:05 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
For sure. The need for skilled labour has certainly slowed. I know in 2011 when I was transferred the company also imported about 20 others in a total local staff of about 100. Thats 20% - quite a large number of people that could not be sourced locally. As the mining slowed and the knock on effects to other big engineering companies slowed the import need has diminished.

I was in Perth last week and as always my travel budget was increased to account for 'Perth'. As an indicator there's still plenty of construction in terms of apartments. Can they sell these places?
In my field, the best work opportunities are not in Australia at the moment. 2-3 years ago it was the complete opposite. 2-3 years time it may have changed again

There are probably too many apartments being built and they may not sell straight away, but they will sell eventually and at the right price, Same happened in Melbourne a few year ago - and in many other cities around the world

Perth may be a bit more expensive overall but it's not by much - more preconceptions
Old Oct 7th 2014, 12:33 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

I did see an article in the West Australian on Saturday about how bricklayers are back in demand - $2 a brick, apparently.

But seeing as it's in the West Australian it's probably a lie, any brikkies on here confirm this?
Old Oct 7th 2014, 12:54 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Not about Oz but for New Zealand I have noticed far less UK/Europeans arriving & a fair few returning from whence they came.

I'm not just talking of forum life but also in our real life.

With NZ , the skill shortages have become far less. So those thinking to move over have a very time finding a job offer.

Also the rate of exchange plays a part. NZ has become quite an expensive country to actually live in the past ten years if you are earning average wages.

Further, there is far more nitty gritty, less romantic, info out there , then there was even ten years ago .

All in all, it is quieter. The NZ population has grown though . Just not from the UK/Europe which now makes up just 10% ish of incoming immigrants .
Old Oct 7th 2014, 2:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
Once my lot move out in a few years time the Mrs and I will be spending a lot more time in the UK. The plan is probably 6 months UK (spring/summer) 6 months Dunsborough/Margaret River area (Spring/Summer).

That's the dream! A lot can happen between now and that though.
Yes now school is finished, we are more flexible too. The youngest starts UNI in melb next year, didnt want to leave him here so half the year in Melbourne. The rest in UK/North America.

Unlike most I will be doing it in reverse, ( the summer in OZ is far too intense for me ) my ideal months overseas are nov - march, that way I get all the seasonal stuff overseas too, cold Xmas, Fall/Autumn leaves/Halloween, Thanksgiving.

Luckily we can still work, will continue with construction in OZ while here for the winter months.

Converted money out when the AUD had some balls to it, pity we did not take more out, its dropped so much now.

Once UNI is finished perhaps the move overseas will become perm.

Happy with the half year thing for now very exciting for you too.

Last edited by jad n rich; Oct 7th 2014 at 2:47 am.
Old Oct 7th 2014, 3:00 am
(It's not my real name)

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Happy with the half year thing for now very exciting for you too.
Still at least 5 years away for us! I'm trying to get a FIFO job for between now and then to build up some cash.
Old Oct 7th 2014, 4:57 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

I am seeing less and less people making the move and many more leaving. The economy here is starting to seriously stutter while the rest of the world is picking up. For many people, a move to oz is economic suicide now.
Old Oct 7th 2014, 6:40 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by verystormy
I am seeing less and less people making the move and many more leaving. The economy here is starting to seriously stutter while the rest of the world is picking up. For many people, a move to oz is economic suicide now.
When the dollar becomes cheap people will soon enough begin to flock here again.
Old Oct 7th 2014, 6:43 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry
When the dollar becomes cheap people will soon enough begin to flock here again.
They still are from Asian countries....or is that not what you meant?
Old Oct 7th 2014, 6:49 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
They still are from Asian countries....or is that not what you meant?
Old Oct 7th 2014, 7:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
In my field, the best work opportunities are not in Australia at the moment. 2-3 years ago it was the complete opposite. 2-3 years time it may have changed again

There are probably too many apartments being built and they may not sell straight away, but they will sell eventually and at the right price, Same happened in Melbourne a few year ago - and in many other cities around the world

Perth may be a bit more expensive overall but it's not by much - more preconceptions
Same. The UK does offer more opportunity today in engineering but salaries haven't seemed to moved much in the UK. That said Australia is still going along. Just not the greed and excess of 3-4 years ago in mining. Finance will always be stronger in the UK. London is the hub. Always will be.

I have been thinking about moving back to the UK with the increased opportunities. I have some land I want to build on. Unfortunately I'm really enjoying Oz right now and summer is kicking in. Conundrums.
Old Oct 7th 2014, 7:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

We may be joining the returnees soon. Things looking down for us here and prospects better there.
Old Oct 7th 2014, 7:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
DIBP statistics on net overseas migration:

https://www.immi.gov.au/media/public...-june-2014.pdf
The department is forecasting NOM of 246 300 for the year ending 30 September 2014. This is an increase on the most recent ABS preliminary estimate of 235 800 for the year ending 31 December 2013. The department is forecasting NOM to rise slightly to 255 200 for the year ending June 2016, before decreasing to 235 800 for the year ending June 2018.
Yes, backs up my feeling that migration to Australia continues apace but the source of the migrants has moved east. It was predominantly British and European migrants in the previous century; it's moving more to Asia in this century.

As said before the movement in the exchange rate has made a huge difference to the comparative cost of living and real estate ('on this very day' in 2001 we moved £'s to $'s @ $3.01). The eventual signs of recovery in the UK economy (the PM and Chancellor trumpeting the slow recovery after 6 years of post GFC!) must reduce the numbers of those seeking to migrate due to push factors.

I'd hope that very few people make a decision as far reaching as migrating purely on the basis of sunshine and beaches.

Last edited by OzTennis; Oct 7th 2014 at 7:26 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.