Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Are people still moving to Oz?

Are people still moving to Oz?

Old Oct 6th 2014, 12:01 am
BE Enthusiast

boom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Are people still moving to Oz?

Seems to me that less and less people are relocating here, or is this just a reflection of Perth starting to melt down now that the mining boom has turned to bust?

What's it like in the UK for those still there?
Old Oct 6th 2014, 12:20 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are people still moving to Oz?

I would say people are still moving here - I did last year as did others, The visa cost has gone up, and perhaps because of the difficult years some face in the UK, many do not have the savings for a move. Who knows. Family in the UK are mostly working, and mostly doing okay.
Old Oct 6th 2014, 1:39 am
BE Enthusiast

boom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this point

So do you think the numbers have dropped off?

We have been here since 2005 and are seeing loads of people going back.
Old Oct 6th 2014, 1:41 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve&Clare
So do you think the numbers have dropped off?

We have been here since 2005 and are seeing loads of people going back.
I've noticed people going back on here - seen a few in the MBTTUK forum. Can't say I noticed so many before the move.
Old Oct 6th 2014, 1:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Perth especially is really expensive to live now, and the mining boom has completely reversed. No jobs, high cost of living and a long way from home. The great weather doesn't always make up for that.
Old Oct 6th 2014, 2:03 am

Perth especially is really expensive to live now, and the mining boom has completely reversed. No jobs, high cost of living and a long way from home. The great weather doesn't always make up for that.
Having only briefly visited Perth can't really comment. I do know that Adelaide is cheaper for me than Slough was and although I'm earning less here than I was there, still have plenty for savings
Old Oct 6th 2014, 2:57 am
BE Enthusiast

We have an office in Adelaide and everyone who has gone over to work there is amazed by how much more sensible the cost of living compares to Perth.

I don't see the value proposition for moving to Perth any more, we are planning to move back to the UK after Xmas some time.
Old Oct 6th 2014, 3:01 am

We have an office in Adelaide and everyone who has gone over to work there is amazed by how much more sensible the cost of living compares to Perth.

I don't see the value proposition for moving to Perth any more, we are planning to move back to the UK after Xmas some time.
Have you been back at all since being here?
Old Oct 6th 2014, 3:12 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

I think immigration from UK comes in waves.

We came in early noughties (2003) where selling a UK house and bringing money over at a great rate meant that lots of people were drawn here.

Right now it's less attractive seeing as Perth has become so expensive and exchange rate from pounds to dollars isn't as good as it was.

I'm sure there will be more waves of Poms coming over, in time.
Old Oct 6th 2014, 9:29 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Seems to me that less and less people are relocating here, or is this just a reflection of Perth starting to melt down now that the mining boom has turned to bust?

What's it like in the UK for those still there?
Certainly less Brits appear to be moving, things are improving noticeably here and Australia is getting more expensive so less incentive to move I guess.
Not everyone is interested in beaches and suntans and priorities have changed. The number of returnees has also apparently increased in recent years.
As far as whats it like here its fine, most people work, have a decent life, go on holiday and enjoy life.
Old Oct 6th 2014, 11:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Molly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond repute

When me and the hubby first graced this forum around 2004 to 2008 [ish] they seemed to be a lot more people in the process then, than the last couple of years I'd say. They also seemed to be a lot of threads about titled something like ' Yeahhhhhh I've got my Visa!' I don't seem to notice that anymore, maybe it's because I'm not really looking.

Having had this conversation with our relocation chap. He said it mostly definitely has calmed down and there are a lot more now going back to take advantage of the UK's, in-particular London's, economy boost.

Speaking of which my husband hasn't got a job here yet so he's going back to London on Thursday until Christmas.
Old Oct 6th 2014, 12:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Molly Coddle
When me and the hubby first graced this forum around 2004 to 2008 [ish] they seemed to be a lot more people in the process then, than the last couple of years I'd say. They also seemed to be a lot of threads about titled something like ' Yeahhhhhh I've got my Visa!' I don't seem to notice that anymore, maybe it's because I'm not really looking.

Having had this conversation with our relocation chap. He said it mostly definitely has calmed down and there are a lot more now going back to take advantage of the UK's, in-particular London's, economy boost.

Speaking of which my husband hasn't got a job here yet so he's going back to London on Thursday until Christmas.
Funny you should say that, because I've always seen that too. Before 2004 there was almost a festival atmosphere. (So you were a lurker eh!)
I also agree with Chris.

Having been on the forum almost as long as Renth (ha!)
there was definitely a wave in the early 000s - borne of the late 90s boom in the UK and a distinctly cheaper Australia - FX rates helped.

Being mortgage-free on a 4x2 with a jetski, boat and 4x4 was a draw.
I am really impressed by migrants now - they are often in no doubt as to how hard it might be. It's not a game now. It's one of the reasons I don't see why we need anti-'Godzone' posters and 'culture' wars and bickering - (and there are far less of those posters) no-one in their right mind sees Australia as an easy option. (Sure - life can be good here - but not for all).

The other thing I've noticed is that 10 years ago professionals might agonise about moving here when the impression they got was that it would be a down-size. In fact it was seen as a tradie's paradise.

If anything, the expense of it means that when a migrant arrives onshore they are very well-equipped and ambitious- they have to be, to even rightly consider it.

I don't think some of the 'prize' draws would be there for us now. It would be just another option.

So naturally lots of people would think about returning - certainly from Perth maybe -for us though, the long-term draws are still favourable - partly because we feel that Melbourne is a city which has longevity - and as the years go by we seem to embed deeper and deeper- when others find the complete opposite.

Last edited by BadgeIsBack; Oct 6th 2014 at 12:50 pm.
Old Oct 6th 2014, 1:50 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
I think immigration from UK comes in waves.

We came in early noughties (2003) where selling a UK house and bringing money over at a great rate meant that lots of people were drawn here.

Right now it's less attractive seeing as Perth has become so expensive and exchange rate from pounds to dollars isn't as good as it was.

I'm sure there will be more waves of Poms coming over, in time.
I agree. Australia is a new world western country that is always going to attract migrants - they may not be all from the UK either. Our population is 23.5m, in 10 years time that will be substantially higher

But this is BE - where most can't see a world beyond the UK and Australia
Old Oct 6th 2014, 1:55 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

DIBP statistics on net overseas migration:

https://www.immi.gov.au/media/public...-june-2014.pdf
The department is forecasting NOM of 246 300 for the year ending 30 September 2014. This is an increase on the most recent ABS preliminary estimate of 235 800 for the year ending 31 December 2013. The department is forecasting NOM to rise slightly to 255 200 for the year ending June 2016, before decreasing to 235 800 for the year ending June 2018.
Old Oct 6th 2014, 4:08 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I agree. Australia is a new world western country that is always going to attract migrants - they may not be all from the UK either. Our population is 23.5m, in 10 years time that will be substantially higher

But this is BE - where most can't see a world beyond the UK and Australia
Actually these days the Aus forum is among the quieter ones, far more action in Canada, the US and even NZ.......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.