Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Are people still moving to Oz?

Are people still moving to Oz?

Old Oct 8th 2014, 10:51 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are people still moving to Oz?

Originally Posted by Beoz
On the flip side I don't know any unemployed people in Oz. Sweeping incorrect statements are not helpful for those who sweep this forum to make life changing decisions.
That works both ways
Old Oct 8th 2014, 10:51 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Always best for would be emigrants to do the due diligence thing on the employment market for their particular field - even in times of high general unemployment, there will be skills shortages in some fields.
Old Oct 8th 2014, 10:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Always best for would be emigrants to do the due diligence thing on the employment market for their particular field - even in times of high general unemployment, there will be skills shortages in some fields.
Absolutely. IT in financial services maybe struggling? Accountants of certain types? I wouldn't know.
Old Oct 8th 2014, 11:38 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by verystormy
I am currently unemployed, I go to the library every day to use the computers to apply for jobs. They are now limiting time on them because of the que of unemployed people needing them.

Nearly everyone I know is currently unemployed. I spoke yesterday to an ex boss who is a highly experienced manager and proffessional who has been unemployed months and is now about to move out of his house to rent it to live in a friends shack.
This is very sobering stormy, a telling insight in to the state of the resources industry in Australia. I wish you all the best. Have you tried jobs outside of your field of geology, to tide you over, or is this something you don't want to consider?
Old Oct 9th 2014, 12:21 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Yep. Applying for anything and everything. Have even had a rejection from Macas and Dominos Pizza. I open seek every morning, don't put in any search words and just trawl through and apply for anything I might have a chance getting.

I have a weeks labouring on a mine site next week. They have 17000 bags of waste samples that need picking up and taking to the tip. Each weighs 50kg, so will keep me fit. It is paying $21 an hour. But beggars can't be choosers.

I also apply for every geology job world wide that comes up, but not even had an interview. There are just too many of us looking for a small amount of jobs. I was on infomine this morning and it is down to 37 jobs for geologists in Aus. Most of them are already filled as there old adverts. To put it in perspective there used to be several thousand roles available.
Old Oct 9th 2014, 12:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Yep. Applying for anything and everything. Have even had a rejection from Macas and Dominos Pizza. I open seek every morning, don't put in any search words and just trawl through and apply for anything I might have a chance getting.

I have a weeks labouring on a mine site next week. They have 17000 bags of waste samples that need picking up and taking to the tip. Each weighs 50kg, so will keep me fit. It is paying $21 an hour. But beggars can't be choosers.

I also apply for every geology job world wide that comes up, but not even had an interview. There are just too many of us looking for a small amount of jobs. I was on infomine this morning and it is down to 37 jobs for geologists in Aus. Most of them are already filled as there old adverts. To put it in perspective there used to be several thousand roles available.
Do you look at contaminated land? There's work there in the big cities. I suspect your experience is not in contaminated land though. Let me ask around and see where the openings are.
Old Oct 9th 2014, 1:01 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzTennis
Just in case you are trying to suggest that the UK has a different way of measuring unemployment or the figure is 100% accurate:

"Unemployment in the United Kingdom is measured by the Office for National Statistics and in the three months to June 2014 the headline unemployment rate stood at 6.4%. The number of people claiming Jobseeker's Allowance last month fell by 33,600 to 1.01 million, the ONS says.

The figures are compiled through the Labour Force Survey, which asks a sample of 53,000 households and is conducted every 3 months."
Yes. UK and Australia use essentially the same system. If this is flawed (which it could well be), then it is flawed for both countries

Also the same system is used when rates are rising or falling - important when certain sections try to use this as an excuse
Old Oct 9th 2014, 1:04 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
Fair enough should have said the same as the UK, with one trending up and the other down.
Australian Job Market Improves, While Unemployment Rate Is Expected To Rise To 6.2% - Action Forex
ain't those official stats a bitch when you are trying to make unsubstantiated claims!
Old Oct 9th 2014, 2:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Just asked around and there's some big jobs coming up for geologists in cont land. PM me if you want to know more. Melb and Syd
Old Oct 9th 2014, 12:22 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
Just asked around and there's some big jobs coming up for geologists in cont land. PM me if you want to know more. Melb and Syd
This is the real BE spirit. Onya Beoz
Old Oct 9th 2014, 9:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
This is the real BE spirit. Onya Beoz
Being out if work when you want to work is the pits. Not sure I can help here. They will probably want experience in Cont. Land but doesn't hurt to ask.
Old Nov 9th 2014, 6:55 am
BE Enthusiast

keel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
I did see an article in the West Australian on Saturday about how bricklayers are back in demand - $2 a brick, apparently.

But seeing as it's in the West Australian it's probably a lie, any brikkies on here confirm this?
I've got a mate who is a brickie and he says "it's the happy Time" all over again. He's even packed in a reasonable job in engineering construction to work back in Perth again.

I work in Engineering in Perth and its pretty dead in town. A lot of the workshops have shut as the work is going abroad. Still work out there if your prepared to travel.

Keel
Old Nov 9th 2014, 7:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

koalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond repute

I think I may of met Steve & Clare once at an "moving to Oz" meeting in the UK (in Crawley)!

I think less people are coming out, a few people who were planning on coming out from other forums had to give it up because of the exchange rate. Too much of a risk with kids etc and not knowing if you were going to get a job.

Most people I know who have come out now are on 457's or had a job to come to.

Talking of Perth..... I was there a couple of weeks ago and hadn't been for nearly 8 years. I was amazed at all the new city apartments and the prices So much building going on, which I guess is good for employment. Very expensive to eat out. Public transport had improved, I thought the idea of putting tracks down the middle of a highway was good, they need to do that on the M25 between LHR and LGW!

Hope you find something soon Vstormy.
Old Nov 10th 2014, 9:58 am
Forum Regular

ABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve&Clare
Seems to me that less and less people are relocating here, or is this just a reflection of Perth starting to melt down now that the mining boom has turned to bust?

What's it like in the UK for those still there?
These are the numbers of UK movers to Australia

Combined Family and Skilled Total
Immigrants Year
13,019 1996–97
12,486 1997–98
11,879 1998–99
10,059 1999–00
11,617 2000–01
14,850 2001–02
22,043 2002–03
21,975 2003–04
25,816 2004–05
32,078 2005–06
31,340 2006–07
29,331 2007–08
30,538 2008–09
25,716 2009–10
23,897 2010–11
25,209 2011–12
21,658 2012–13

Historical Migration Statistics
Old Nov 10th 2014, 8:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by koalakim
I think I may of met Steve & Clare once at an "moving to Oz" meeting in the UK (in Crawley)!

I think less people are coming out, a few people who were planning on coming out from other forums had to give it up because of the exchange rate. Too much of a risk with kids etc and not knowing if you were going to get a job.

Most people I know who have come out now are on 457's or had a job to come to.

Talking of Perth..... I was there a couple of weeks ago and hadn't been for nearly 8 years. I was amazed at all the new city apartments and the prices So much building going on, which I guess is good for employment. Very expensive to eat out. Public transport had improved, I thought the idea of putting tracks down the middle of a highway was good, they need to do that on the M25 between LHR and LGW!

Hope you find something soon Vstormy.
I'm in Perth now for my rotational 6 week visit. I quite like Perth. Though it needs to up its game on 4G. There virtually is none.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.