Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Parking ticket for facing wrong way - help!

Parking ticket for facing wrong way - help!

Old Jan 9th 2007, 8:28 pm
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Parking ticket for facing wrong way - help!

Originally Posted by annqldau
Wonder if it works on the veranda as well???
Why not? Let us know, eh?
Old Jan 9th 2007, 9:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Re: Parking ticket for facing wrong way - help!

Originally Posted by ljk888
We were given a parking ticket just before Christmas for parking against the flow of traffic... a rule which we've never heard of before!!

What is the best way of appealing the ticket (as there was nothing on the sign apart from 1P or something), as we had no clue we were doing anything wrong. We weren't on a busy street or anything like that, just a quiet residential one.

Thanks!
Laura
NO!!!! DON'T PAY IT....yet.

Write a letter to the address on the ticker, pleading Britishness. They will have to review your letter and will put your payment due date on hold. At the very least you will get some interest on the money you would have paid. At most you will get let off with a warning.

The Britishness was key.

I got away with this one in Cananda by appealing in person. Yes, I am aware that Oz is a different country etc...but you may be surprised by what you can get away with...escpecially if the person reviewing your appeal was originally from Britain.

Good Luck
Old Jan 9th 2007, 9:08 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Pommie Granite
NO!!!! DON'T PAY IT....yet.

Write a letter to the address on the ticker, pleading Britishness. They will have to review your letter and will put your payment due date on hold. At the very least you will get some interest on the money you would have paid. At most you will get let off with a warning.

The Britishness was key.

I got away with this one in Cananda by appealing in person. Yes, I am aware that Oz is a different country etc...but you may be surprised by what you can get away with...escpecially if the person reviewing your appeal was originally from Britain.

Good Luck
Yes, but it's illegal in Britain too! A simple google has shown that!

I imagine they would let you off in Canada seeing as Canadians are so nice, and how they like the British, but it's not the same here!

I personally would LOVE to be a fly on the wall when the authorities get that letter. OMG, they'd frame that one.
Old Jan 9th 2007, 9:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iPom
Yes, but it's illegal in Britain too! A simple google has shown that!

I imagine they would let you off in Canada seeing as Canadians are so nice, and how they like the British, but it's not the same here!

I personally would LOVE to be a fly on the wall when the authorities get that letter. OMG, they'd frame that one.

My simple google search showed this :

Parking at night 222: You MUST NOT park on a road at night facing against the direction of the traffic flow unless in a recognised parking space.
Laws CUR reg 101 & RVLR reg 24

I am assuming that the OP parked in daylight in a recognised parking space

Citylink let me off $100 fine for driving through a tollway once I scanned and emailed my passport proving that I was a new resident and therefore new to Melbourne (3 days). Nice Australians I thought...just like Canadiens.
Old Jan 9th 2007, 9:45 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Pommie Granite
My simple google search showed this :

Parking at night 222: You MUST NOT park on a road at night facing against the direction of the traffic flow unless in a recognised parking space.
Laws CUR reg 101 & RVLR reg 24

I am assuming that the OP parked in daylight in a recognised parking space

Citylink let me off $100 fine for driving through a tollway once I scanned and emailed my passport proving that I was a new resident and therefore new to Melbourne (3 days). Nice Australians I thought...just like Canadiens.
Fair enough. I'd still like to be a fly on the wall with that letter though.
Old Jan 10th 2007, 2:59 am
Account Closed

JenJen is an unknown quantity at this point

It was perfectly safe to do as it was a quiet street, you could see in all directions, and there were no other cars around... doesn't a $64 fine seem a bit steep?? :scared:
Nope it doesn't really seem that much when you convert it.
When I picked my wedding dress in the city I was sent to the city outskirts to have the dress made and was TOLD to park outside the house-come dressmaking shop - trust me it was hard enough to find the silly little place but they had removed the parking zone signs at the entrance to the road hence I didn't think twice about parking there, then hay ho along comes jobsworth with his parking ticket and as I look out the window he slaps it on my windscreen and smiles, I went running out there demanding to know what he thought he was doing only to be told then I was parked in a zoned parking area for permit holders only, his smile soon disappeared though when I burst into tears (pregnancy hormones - un noticeable bump I should point out)
Anyway getting to the point my ticket was for £25 approximately the same amount you were charged for parking your car in the wrong direction same sort of thing iyswim?

Luckily I had the people from the main store write a letter to say they'd told me to park there and I had presence of mind to take a picture of the road entrance showing no parking zone signs - they let me off so I was very lucky.

Jen
Old Jan 10th 2007, 5:27 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Parking ticket for facing wrong way - help!

Originally Posted by phoenixinoz
Wouldn't have anything to do with UK being more congested
It's a plausible theory!
Old Jan 10th 2007, 5:33 am
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

doesn't a $64 fine seem a bit steep??
I have had an £80 fine for parking in a 'private' area - very badly signed, and owned by the CHURCH! So much for being charitable, there was no getting out of the fine.
Plus in my permit-parking street (in the UK) the fine for not 'clearly displaying' a permit was £60, or £30 if you paid straight away. The ticket could be slapped on after five minutes - so if you put the kettle on for a guest and take their bag up to their room then went out to put the permit in it could be too late! Or if the permit blew off the dashboard as you slammed the car door. There was no sympathy.

Really $64 is not that much.