Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Parking ticket for facing wrong way - help!

Parking ticket for facing wrong way - help!

Old Jan 9th 2007, 6:10 am
Laura & Nick

ljk888 has a brilliant futureljk888 has a brilliant futureljk888 has a brilliant futureljk888 has a brilliant futureljk888 has a brilliant futureljk888 has a brilliant futureljk888 has a brilliant futureljk888 has a brilliant future
Angry Parking ticket for facing wrong way - help!

We were given a parking ticket just before Christmas for parking against the flow of traffic... a rule which we've never heard of before!!

What is the best way of appealing the ticket (as there was nothing on the sign apart from 1P or something), as we had no clue we were doing anything wrong. We weren't on a busy street or anything like that, just a quiet residential one.

Thanks!
Laura
Old Jan 9th 2007, 6:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Tuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Parking ticket for facing wrong way - help!

I don't know that you would have much luck with an appeal but go to the local council and ask them anyway. It is illegal to park against the traffic and they will expect you to know that I think. No harm in asking though. Just put it down to experience.
Old Jan 9th 2007, 6:20 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Tuxtrip
I don't know that you would have much luck with an appeal but go to the local council and ask them anyway. It is illegal to park against the traffic and they will expect you to know that I think. No harm in asking though. Just put it down to experience.
Yeah, illegal in Aus. Pay it, and forget it. Ignorance isn't an excuse under the law. Sadly.
Old Jan 9th 2007, 6:22 am
youngy73

youngy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ljk888
We were given a parking ticket just before Christmas for parking against the flow of traffic... a rule which we've never heard of before!!

What is the best way of appealing the ticket (as there was nothing on the sign apart from 1P or something), as we had no clue we were doing anything wrong. We weren't on a busy street or anything like that, just a quiet residential one.

Thanks!
Laura
pay the fine and move on. you broke the law
Old Jan 9th 2007, 6:35 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: Parking ticket for facing wrong way - help!

Thanks!
Laura
Pay it.

In Australia it is illegal to park against the flow of traffic, as this is both discourteous and dangerous. All drivers are expected to know this.

Even in the UK, it is generally illegal to park against the flow of traffic at night:

222: You MUST NOT park on a road at night facing against the direction of the traffic flow unless in a recognised parking space.
Highway Code.

But in Australia, it is illegal at all times.
Old Jan 9th 2007, 6:55 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Just my opinion but this sort of fine is the very reason I think everyone should have to do at least the theory driving test. Just getting a straight swap, leaves too many little rules like that unknown. Let's face it, who, when they only have to get the licence swapped, would go and buy the driving code and read it

Bad luck lkj, won't be doing that again
Old Jan 9th 2007, 7:55 am
Susie..

Andrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks!
Laura
I got the same in Nz after parking outside my house, its frustrating but you just need to pay it and never do it again....
Old Jan 9th 2007, 8:18 am
Account Closed

phoenixinoz is an unknown quantity at this point

Even if you did have to take a test, doubtful you'd remember all the rules

Anyways like others have said, it's the law here. Perhaps just better to put it down to experience
Old Jan 9th 2007, 8:20 am
BE Forum Addict

the4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud of

When I lived in America I got 2 parking tickets at the same time - one for parking against the flow of traffic and the other for parking infront on a fire hydrant. I wasn't aware that I'd done anything wrong and my then husband tried to reason with the authorities to get out of paying it. He was told if I'm driving in their country then I should know the rules of the road. Never done that again!!!!!! Will make sure that I'm extra careful when we get to Australia.

Lynn
Old Jan 9th 2007, 9:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Vin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to behold

You can't park in front of a fire hydrant in Australia either
Old Jan 9th 2007, 9:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Oz wannabe1 is a name known to allOz wannabe1 is a name known to allOz wannabe1 is a name known to allOz wannabe1 is a name known to allOz wannabe1 is a name known to allOz wannabe1 is a name known to allOz wannabe1 is a name known to allOz wannabe1 is a name known to allOz wannabe1 is a name known to allOz wannabe1 is a name known to allOz wannabe1 is a name known to all

After reading this....what is the bus/train service like?
Old Jan 9th 2007, 9:50 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Oz wannabe1
After reading this....what is the bus/train service like?
Fab where I am. Where are you headed?
Old Jan 9th 2007, 10:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Oz wannabe1 is a name known to allOz wannabe1 is a name known to allOz wannabe1 is a name known to allOz wannabe1 is a name known to allOz wannabe1 is a name known to allOz wannabe1 is a name known to allOz wannabe1 is a name known to allOz wannabe1 is a name known to allOz wannabe1 is a name known to allOz wannabe1 is a name known to allOz wannabe1 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by iPom
Fab where I am. Where are you headed?
perth. I think, poss Cairns. Bit of a difference
Old Jan 9th 2007, 10:17 am
BE Forum Addict

ohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond repute

when we got our Oz licence I asked for a copy of the regs here and they gave me one for free. They should really do it automatically I think as they were a few things in there that I needed to know
Old Jan 9th 2007, 10:20 am
Account Closed

Oh, very small.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.