Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Packing your own boxes

Packing your own boxes

Old Jan 14th 2008, 9:04 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Packing your own boxes

Originally Posted by Oz-bound
We used PSS Removals and shipped 6 boxes (after a bad estimate of 4)!!! Ask for plenty of boxes to be delivered as providing you give any unrequired ones back unmade you only pay for what you ship.

PSS were great and our stuff arrived in perfect condition, clean, fresh and no mould - clothes didn't even need washing or ironing which was a total shock as was in storage for 2 months before shipping!

Everything arrived 1.5 weeks after ship docked and quarantine/customes fee was $28.

Best tips I can give is;

* Keep the inventory simple (just list i.e. ladies clothes, books, CDs - not war an peace!)
* Wash all shoes and state that they're washed clearly on the inventory
* Don't pack anything in plastic bags as it encourages mould

We also didn't bother with insurance as basically when you look into it, it doesn't cover you for much at all!
Did you wrap your shoes in anything or just clean them and put them in the box/tea chest?

We are cleaning our shoes this week although I am looking to stuff loads in my case.
Old Jan 14th 2008, 9:19 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wiltsgurl
Wow, we havent even got the house on the market yet (planning to end of Feb) and I am already thinking about packing a few bits up.

My plan of action is, empty the garage, start boxing, labelling and storing it all in the garage, live with the bare minimum, so when the time DOES come to ship over, I've got no worries about last minute packing and deciding what I want and dont want as I am the sort of person to totally stress over the littlest of things.

ONe or two other questions, we are planning to take some electrical items with us ie tv, pc. laptop etc, and also I want to take my leather sofa with us. The problem is on the list of prohibited items into Australia I notice "skins" is on there. TEchnically, a leather sofa is skin sooooooo does this mean I cant take it? or any advice on where to look to ask if I CAN?

one more question - suggestions on a good shipping company would be most grateful
Leather sofa is fine - they are more interested in things like kangaroo skin rugs and that kind of stuff. do a search on leather sofa or leather suite and you should find loads of info
Old Jan 14th 2008, 9:24 pm
fin
heading home

fin is just really nicefin is just really nicefin is just really nicefin is just really nicefin is just really nicefin is just really nicefin is just really nicefin is just really nicefin is just really nicefin is just really nice

you know, I was supposed to be packing yesterday and I didn't do a thing!! So today I desperately have to get some things done!!

With the shoes, do you have to wash them if they look clean? My husband has some suede type adidas trainers that are marked on the edges, not dirt or anything. Should I try and get the marks off of the edges then? I'm in a panic now about the shoes!!

I don't even know who we're going to use for shipping yet!!

Oz-bound - do you mind if I ask how much your 6 boxes were to ship??
Old Jan 14th 2008, 10:25 pm
Forum Regular

Oz-bound is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
Did you wrap your shoes in anything or just clean them and put them in the box/tea chest?

We are cleaning our shoes this week although I am looking to stuff loads in my case.
Just put them in the boxes! In fact had a whole box and a half dedicated to shoes

Good luck with the packing, brings back memories
Old Jan 14th 2008, 10:28 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Just put them in the boxes! In fact had a whole box and a half dedicated to shoes

Good luck with the packing, brings back memories
Im going to cram loads in my case.

I packed my heavy winter coat thinking my other jacket would suffice. Got up this morning and its pishing it down and very windy so I had to go through one of the boxes and get my winter coat. Its too bloody big and heavy to go in my case.

Those vacuum bags are good though, they suck the life out of stuff, my bear collection looks like road kill
Old Jan 14th 2008, 10:49 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by fin
you know, I was supposed to be packing yesterday and I didn't do a thing!! So today I desperately have to get some things done!!

With the shoes, do you have to wash them if they look clean? My husband has some suede type adidas trainers that are marked on the edges, not dirt or anything. Should I try and get the marks off of the edges then? I'm in a panic now about the shoes!!

I don't even know who we're going to use for shipping yet!!

Oz-bound - do you mind if I ask how much your 6 boxes were to ship??
Cost about £250 so not bad at all.

Don't worry about your shoes - main thing is that you clean the soles so don't have an soil or mud, thats where the paranoia is Our boxes weren't even opened but if they do and see mud/soil they will clean them all and charge you lots!!!! Make sure you put "Clean shoes" on the inventory as this helps
Old Jan 14th 2008, 11:43 pm
Ber-kerk

Wheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by fin
Hi!

I have a question to those of you who only shipped a few boxes over and packed them yourselves..

Did you have to write an inventry of everything that goes into each box? Anything else we should be doing?

Thanks in advance!
Hey Fin
You don't have to be too specific for customs - could be something like, clothes, DVD's, linen, as opposed to 12 pairs socks, 12 shirts, 10 DVD's etc, (but that might be good for you at the other end if you are looking for something.)

Identify shoes - AQIS likes to check these. Anything that could have come in contact with dirt.

Make sure you don't pack your passport - it has been known to have happened
Old Jan 15th 2008, 12:22 am
fin
heading home

fin is just really nicefin is just really nicefin is just really nicefin is just really nicefin is just really nicefin is just really nicefin is just really nicefin is just really nicefin is just really nicefin is just really nice

Originally Posted by Wheeler-Jones
Hey Fin
You don't have to be too specific for customs - could be something like, clothes, DVD's, linen, as opposed to 12 pairs socks, 12 shirts, 10 DVD's etc, (but that might be good for you at the other end if you are looking for something.)

Identify shoes - AQIS likes to check these. Anything that could have come in contact with dirt.

Make sure you don't pack your passport - it has been known to have happened
Thanks!

Are there special forms you have to fill in, or is all that supplied by the removalists??

How did you all mark your boxes? (as in name/address etc)
Old Jan 15th 2008, 12:25 am

You have to sellotape a clear head and shoulders photograph of yourself on each box, stating your vital stats and weight etc.

You must do this or your boxes will be returned to the address of sender in the UK.

Customs need to know your height, weight, measurements and a clear colour photo - it is vital.

Only joking!
Old Jan 15th 2008, 12:50 am
fin
heading home

You have to sellotape a clear head and shoulders photograph of yourself on each box, stating your vital stats and weight etc.

You must do this or your boxes will be returned to the address of sender in the UK.

Customs need to know your height, weight, measurements and a clear colour photo - it is vital.

Only joking!
When I read the first bit I was like, a picture!! They want a picture!? and then when I continued to read I realised it was a wind up Nice one!

but ermm anyone have any serious answers for me?
Old Jan 15th 2008, 6:59 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by fin
When I read the first bit I was like, a picture!! They want a picture!? and then when I continued to read I realised it was a wind up Nice one!

but ermm anyone have any serious answers for me?

The shipping company give you all the forms. The boxes we got had a space on for all your details and they give you a shipping reference number which you put on boxes and paperwork (keep it safe as you use this for tracking purposes too).
Old Jan 15th 2008, 11:39 pm
Ber-kerk

Wheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by fin
Thanks!

Are there special forms you have to fill in, or is all that supplied by the removalists??

How did you all mark your boxes? (as in name/address etc)
Not sure if this link works - http://uk911sharepoint/Allied%20Pick...stoms_Form.pdf

But you will be advised by your removal company when to complete. I usually suggest to wait until you are in Oz, unless you are going to have someone else receive the stuff while you are not there (you can nominate someone to clear on your behalf - ie to accept delivery/answer questions/pay AQSI charges).

The removal company will label the boxes (usually fluro labels) but nothing to stop you marking them too - boxes do go missing on occasion so the more info the better I say.
Old Jan 16th 2008, 12:56 am

Well my silica gel packs arrived yesterday and I only ordered them on Monday, Ive got 50 sachets for a few quid, now I can suck the air out of my clothes and get them vacuum packed.
Old Jan 16th 2008, 3:57 am
fin
heading home

The shipping company give you all the forms. The boxes we got had a space on for all your details and they give you a shipping reference number which you put on boxes and paperwork (keep it safe as you use this for tracking purposes too).
Thanks! I still don't know who I'm using. I started looking today but then I thought I'd wait until I've got every single thing packed I need so I can get a proper quote and get it all collected!!

Originally Posted by Wheeler-Jones
Not sure if this link works - http://uk911sharepoint/Allied%20Pick...stoms_Form.pdf

But you will be advised by your removal company when to complete. I usually suggest to wait until you are in Oz, unless you are going to have someone else receive the stuff while you are not there (you can nominate someone to clear on your behalf - ie to accept delivery/answer questions/pay AQSI charges).

The removal company will label the boxes (usually fluro labels) but nothing to stop you marking them too - boxes do go missing on occasion so the more info the better I say.
Cheers! I'll take a look at the link in a bit. Just taking a break from packing. I've almost finished. Just got some clothes to pack now!

Well my silica gel packs arrived yesterday and I only ordered them on Monday, Ive got 50 sachets for a few quid, now I can suck the air out of my clothes and get them vacuum packed.
Thats a good idea, I was going to get some but then I decided to pack my jumpers in with some fragiles for a bit of cushioning! I think I'll get a vacuum bag thingy for my wedding dress though.
Old Jan 18th 2008, 6:05 am
Forum Regular

welshtaffy has much to be proud ofwelshtaffy has much to be proud ofwelshtaffy has much to be proud ofwelshtaffy has much to be proud ofwelshtaffy has much to be proud ofwelshtaffy has much to be proud ofwelshtaffy has much to be proud ofwelshtaffy has much to be proud ofwelshtaffy has much to be proud ofwelshtaffy has much to be proud ofwelshtaffy has much to be proud of

hi just wanted to say a big hello to all the packers...lol

newbie to the site..so its great reading about all this packing and shipping thing...so i would just like to say to you all .....

all the best and we wish u happieness down under

clare & dean xx

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.