Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

OZ to get its first saint

OZ to get its first saint

Old Dec 20th 2009, 2:01 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OZ to get its first saint

Originally Posted by TiddlyPom
She opened schools... I can't see that as a miracle.

Standards are slipping at the Vatican. You used to have to have done something truly miraculous before, but now, nope, pop a bit of wood on someone's pillow and it'll prolong their death by a whole two years.

I can't help thinking that this is a bit of a sham myself. People carrying on as if to say "Well, every other country has a saint, so why can't we?" and I don't think any of them really actually believes that she has had anything to do with these "miracles".

I think that Roger Moore has more claim to sainthood than this woman. At least he had the music and car...

S
Old Dec 20th 2009, 2:38 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
I can't help thinking that this is a bit of a sham myself. People carrying on as if to say "Well, every other country has a saint, so why can't we?" and I don't think any of them really actually believes that she has had anything to do with these "miracles".

I think that Roger Moore has more claim to sainthood than this woman. At least he had the music and car...

S
Sadly, I think there *are* people who think that someone who's been dead for half a century has been proven to cure a couple of very sick individuals.

Whether the boss in Rome and his committees actually believe it is a moot point, but I don't think they'd get away with it as a fraud if no-one else did.

It reminds me somewhat of the Santa Claus thing: adults know it's a fairy story but in the company of toddlers keep the myth going to the extent they have this little virtual world alive inside their heads.

By all accounts Mary MacKillop was a very good and forthright person - however.................
Old Dec 20th 2009, 4:38 pm

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Swerv-o

S
And great eyebrows.
Old Dec 20th 2009, 5:12 pm
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

I'm trying to find what miracles she actually did. The details in the article appear scant...
Apparently she once drove a car from the Gold Coast to Noosa Heads on the Sunshine Coast, without having a crash?
Old Dec 20th 2009, 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK
Apparently she once drove a car from the Gold Coast to Noosa Heads on the Sunshine Coast, without having a crash?
I drove from the Blue Mountains to Noosa without having a crash.

I'm still waiting for my Vatican letter to drop through....
Old Dec 20th 2009, 5:27 pm
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, but the Nun did it in reverse......
Old Dec 20th 2009, 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK
Yeah, but the Nun did it in reverse......
Damn, that's where I went wrong.
Old Dec 20th 2009, 5:29 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Ah - but can you *prove* it? It could just have been one of those remarkable, random, unexplainable incidents.

Only if it can be proved to be a supernatural event could I even consider putting your name to George Pell for forwarding upstairs.
Old Dec 20th 2009, 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by Wol
Ah - but can you *prove* it? It could just have been one of those remarkable, random, unexplainable incidents.

Only if it can be proved to be a supernatural event could I even consider putting your name to George Pell for forwarding upstairs.
Well, hang on. Let's wait 100 years until I'm a bit dead and then I'll get some poor sap to prove it.

Actually, I have photographic evidence... is that enough?

And witnesses in Noosa....
Old Dec 20th 2009, 10:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Thought it was interesting that she was excommunicated for bothering the church hierarchy with her stubborn ways whilst helping the poor. Maybe there's hope for Father Peter Kennendy after all? With one hand Cardinal Pell blesseth while with the other he smites
Old Dec 20th 2009, 11:29 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Have you pricks actually read any thing about Mary Mckillop..........mm
Old Dec 21st 2009, 7:46 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by mr mover
Have you pricks actually read any thing about Mary Mckillop..........mm
Charming.
Old Dec 21st 2009, 9:06 am

Originally Posted by Wol
Charming.
Did we ruffle a few staunch Catholic feathers?

Old Dec 21st 2009, 11:50 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Did we ruffle a few staunch Catholic feathers?

I'm not really into the ruffling game - I just find it comical that in this day and age grown men can sit around for a couple of decades and come up with a voodoo explanation for an unlikely medical event.
Old Dec 21st 2009, 11:59 am

Originally Posted by Wol
I'm not really into the ruffling game - I just find it comical that in this day and age grown men can sit around for a couple of decades and come up with a voodoo explanation for an unlikely medical event.
Well me too, Wol.

I thought you'd like feathers, being an owl, and all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.