Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Overland to Oz from Europe.

Overland to Oz from Europe.

Old Jul 29th 2008, 4:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud of
Default Re: Overland to Oz from Europe.

Originally Posted by Simple Simon
You have spotted the challanges, in terms of preparation we are well on our way, as far as Greece is very easy, tricky bits are The Stans, China, Mongolia and small bits of Asia. BUT I know its been done, I have met a number of people in Oz that have done it, and I am a sucker for challanges.

From a cash point of view yes its heavy, the experiance will be worth every penny.
Going through anywere in former Russia is not really a problem as you can cross most of the borders in your own car.
Can't say anything about Mongolia but I would guess it would be possible.

China is a problem as they do not allow cars to cross border (except dual registered cars from Hong Kong).
You also can not drive there without a local driving license (impossible to get without resident permit). Goods coming on trucks from Kazachstan or Russia are unloaded on the border and loaded onto chinese trucks.

Short of getting into some official organize rally probalbly very little chance. Car would be stopped by local cops in every city.
Old Jul 29th 2008, 9:37 pm
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

So far the plan is as follows

Germany, Austria, Italy ( for fun), Croatia, Macedonia, Bulgaria, Turkey, Greece, the stans, ferry to Kazacstan onto Mongolia, drop through China into Vietnam through to Thailand, Island hop through the Temors onto Darwin and keep going south until I hit Taz.

I may have missed a few out but in essence thats the plan.

We will be piggy backing onto the Oz 2009 overland rally from Thailand on.
I got as far as Athens but wrote the car off and shattered my shoulder.
Old Jul 30th 2008, 2:15 am
OH is STILL undecided grr

Racht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
I heard Kabul and Baghdad are nice at this time of year.
Lmao

So far the plan is as follows

Germany, Austria, Italy ( for fun), Croatia, Macedonia, Bulgaria, Turkey, Greece, the stans, ferry to Kazacstan onto Mongolia, drop through China into Vietnam through to Thailand, Island hop through the Temors onto Darwin and keep going south until I hit Taz.

I may have missed a few out but in essence thats the plan.

We will be piggy backing onto the Oz 2009 overland rally from Thailand on.
Wow go for it

You have spotted the challanges, in terms of preparation we are well on our way, as far as Greece is very easy, tricky bits are The Stans, China, Mongolia and small bits of Asia. BUT I know its been done, I have met a number of people in Oz that have done it, and I am a sucker for challanges.

From a cash point of view yes its heavy, the experiance will be worth every penny.
Agreed what a fantastic journey...i wish you all the luck mate

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent
Ouch !
Old Jul 30th 2008, 7:43 am
Just Joined

Simple Simon is an unknown quantity at this point

top man for giving it a go, thanks for your responce

Really hope we dont come to a sticky end, to be fair, s**t can happen any time, any place.........

I will do my best not to get squished along the way
Old Jul 30th 2008, 7:47 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Mipik
Going through anywere in former Russia is not really a problem as you can cross most of the borders in your own car.
Can't say anything about Mongolia but I would guess it would be possible.

China is a problem as they do not allow cars to cross border (except dual registered cars from Hong Kong).
You also can not drive there without a local driving license (impossible to get without resident permit). Goods coming on trucks from Kazachstan or Russia are unloaded on the border and loaded onto chinese trucks.

Short of getting into some official organize rally probalbly very little chance. Car would be stopped by local cops in every city.
Thanks for your comments, I will investigate further and post the result, worse case will be a double entry into Russia to take in Mongolia and then go east for Vladivostoc and head by boat to Vietnam
Old Jul 30th 2008, 7:55 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Wow, bet that was an interesting trip! I always wanted to do the route of the old "flying boats", about 20 stops in various exotic harbours on the way and flying in real luxury
Your little poem is well cool, thats going on my defender door!

Who wrote it?
Old Jul 30th 2008, 7:59 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Daydreamer123
Have a look at Oz Bus www.oz-bus.com. My husband and I considered it, but in the end it would just take too long and cost waaay to much without jobs to walk into on the other side.

Not what you are looking at doing, but it might give you some idea of possible itinaries and also possible problems that you may encounter.

Good Luck! I hope you do, it just sounds like the best adventure
That is a top site, so thanks, loaded with little links that I am going to use, the route is almost identicle to the OZ rally (London to Sydney) 2009.
Old Jul 30th 2008, 8:31 am
Forum Regular

melbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud of

One of the ABC (Melbourne) radio presenters Jon Faine is going overland from Australia to London with his son for 6 months. He has a blog you can read which might be helpful and interesting even if it is the opposite direction.

http://www.nowwearetalking.com.au/bl...urne-to-london
Old Jul 30th 2008, 11:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

Beat you! We drove to Ankara (and back) when we went to work there.

Friends managed a bit more - safely across Saudi and then ferry to Pakistan. Things turned nasty and he was shot in the arm defending his wife's honour

Take care Simon.
Old Jul 31st 2008, 5:02 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by lesleys
Beat you! We drove to Ankara (and back) when we went to work there.

Friends managed a bit more - safely across Saudi and then ferry to Pakistan. Things turned nasty and he was shot in the arm defending his wife's honour

Take care Simon.
My trucks not even out of the garage yet, so yep your a bit ahead of me on this one.....trust me I aint taken a bullet for anyone.......unless the wife insists