Reload this Page >

Overland to Oz from Europe.

Overland to Oz from Europe.

Old Jul 27th 2008, 7:57 am
Just Joined

Simple Simon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Overland to Oz from Europe.

Guys and Dolls

I am planning to go overland to Oz. (using ferries in the appropriate places).

So this leads me to a couple of questions that perhaps you can help me with.

1. Did you go Overland to Oz?

2. Talk to me about getting the car in!

3. What route did you take?

4. Any major dramas along the way I can avoid that you didnt?

Thanks

S Simon
Old Jul 28th 2008, 10:00 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Overland to Oz from Europe.

Originally Posted by Simple Simon
Guys and Dolls

Thanks

S Simon
My Aunt & Uncle made the trip overland from London to NZ in the early 70's it took them nearly two years as they hitch hiked, caught local buses etc. They followed the overland spice trail through Iran in the days before it became to dangerous to do so.
Old Jul 28th 2008, 12:37 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cresta57
My Aunt & Uncle made the trip overland from London to NZ in the early 70's it took them nearly two years as they hitch hiked, caught local buses etc. They followed the overland spice trail through Iran in the days before it became to dangerous to do so.
Wow, bet that was an interesting trip! I always wanted to do the route of the old "flying boats", about 20 stops in various exotic harbours on the way and flying in real luxury
Old Jul 28th 2008, 1:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Simple Simon
Guys and Dolls

Thanks

S Simon

If I understand correctly you want to take your car and drive hopping with the car on the ferry to cross water?

Sorry but this is not possible without some serious money and preparations.
The problem is that quite a few countries on the way will not let you drive your car inside their teritory or drive without a local driving licence.

Without car much easier: take the Transsiberian to Beijing from Moscow, work your way down to Hong Kong than a couple of small ferry jumps and a bit of jungle trekking and you end up in Australia.
This is not Europe
Old Jul 28th 2008, 2:01 pm
Account Closed

Notts_bloke is an unknown quantity at this point

lol.

Where is your sense of adventure! I don't think he is planning to do it because it is easy and cheap!
Old Jul 28th 2008, 6:26 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Notts_bloke
lol.

Where is your sense of adventure! I don't think he is planning to do it because it is easy and cheap!
I heard Kabul and Baghdad are nice at this time of year.
Old Jul 28th 2008, 6:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Seems like point 3, is the most pertinent issue.

What route is there ?
Old Jul 28th 2008, 8:24 pm
mmmmmm duff

MarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of light

I'd avoid the middle east.

Europe, Russia, China, then your in to the ferries.....
Old Jul 28th 2008, 11:55 pm
Forum Regular

SHERGAR has much to be proud ofSHERGAR has much to be proud ofSHERGAR has much to be proud ofSHERGAR has much to be proud ofSHERGAR has much to be proud ofSHERGAR has much to be proud ofSHERGAR has much to be proud ofSHERGAR has much to be proud ofSHERGAR has much to be proud ofSHERGAR has much to be proud ofSHERGAR has much to be proud of

One of my brothers did travel to NZ by going on the Trans Siberian express to Vladivostock. From there on to Japan travelling south and then onwards to NZ. Thus avoiding China.
Old Jul 29th 2008, 12:45 am
aka Mrs Stressalot

jasb is just really nicejasb is just really nicejasb is just really nicejasb is just really nicejasb is just really nicejasb is just really nicejasb is just really nicejasb is just really nicejasb is just really nice

I looked into going to Australia by boat for a laugh - and if I didn't have kids I'd be doing that! It was really exciting... only a few cargo boats do it but they stop off in the most incredible places....... Mauritius, South America, Sri Lanka well you name it and they probably stop there! There's different routes they go on so you can choose which one suits. Most cargo/freight boats only take 2 -5 passengers, some will take a few more.
Old Jul 29th 2008, 12:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Daydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really nice

Have a look at Oz Bus www.oz-bus.com. My husband and I considered it, but in the end it would just take too long and cost waaay to much without jobs to walk into on the other side.

Not what you are looking at doing, but it might give you some idea of possible itinaries and also possible problems that you may encounter.

Good Luck! I hope you do, it just sounds like the best adventure
Old Jul 29th 2008, 3:51 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Seems like point 3, is the most pertinent issue.

What route is there ?
So far the plan is as follows

Germany, Austria, Italy ( for fun), Croatia, Macedonia, Bulgaria, Turkey, Greece, the stans, ferry to Kazacstan onto Mongolia, drop through China into Vietnam through to Thailand, Island hop through the Temors onto Darwin and keep going south until I hit Taz.

I may have missed a few out but in essence thats the plan.

We will be piggy backing onto the Oz 2009 overland rally from Thailand on.
Old Jul 29th 2008, 3:54 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by MarkMC
I'd avoid the middle east.

Europe, Russia, China, then your in to the ferries.....

In a nutshell youre about right, I am avoiding Russia and opting for a more southerly route

as you have noted me the misses in a whacking great landrover would be a very soft target in the middle east
Old Jul 29th 2008, 4:01 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Mipik
If I understand correctly you want to take your car and drive hopping with the car on the ferry to cross water?

Sorry but this is not possible without some serious money and preparations.
The problem is that quite a few countries on the way will not let you drive your car inside their teritory or drive without a local driving licence.

Without car much easier: take the Transsiberian to Beijing from Moscow, work your way down to Hong Kong than a couple of small ferry jumps and a bit of jungle trekking and you end up in Australia.
This is not Europe
You have spotted the challanges, in terms of preparation we are well on our way, as far as Greece is very easy, tricky bits are The Stans, China, Mongolia and small bits of Asia. BUT I know its been done, I have met a number of people in Oz that have done it, and I am a sucker for challanges.

From a cash point of view yes its heavy, the experiance will be worth every penny.
Old Jul 29th 2008, 4:02 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Notts_bloke
lol.

well spotted

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.