Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Other people's children..... and alocohol

Other people's children..... and alocohol

Old Jul 22nd 2010, 2:11 pm

Kelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Other people's children..... and alocohol

Originally Posted by paulry
Apart from a sip "to taste what it's like" which they both remarked was disgusting, neither of my two (aged 13 and 15) have drank. Will never encourage them - or allow anyone elses kids to drink under my care/in my home. I've heard it said that if you can persuade your kids not to drink until 17 then they are far less likely to go on and become binge drinkers. ...But right now that's the least of my worries
These kids are 17 and were already out in bars in Germany, and they are actually really sensible with it. I have talked with the parents about rules that they generally have to abide to at home and I try and stick to the same rules here.
Old Jul 22nd 2010, 2:22 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kelli28
These kids are 17 and were already out in bars in Germany, and they are actually really sensible with it. I have talked with the parents about rules that they generally have to abide to at home and I try and stick to the same rules here.
That sounds reasonable .
Old Jul 22nd 2010, 3:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

daunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond repute

Alcohol is a huuuuge part of aussie living from what i have made of it so far and it is very worrying! My daughter is 17. If she wanted a glass of wine with sunday dinner i would probably allow ONE but i will not allow her to drink outside of the home - she can do that when she is legally allowed to at 18 years old!
My son is 15 and he is not allowed to drink FULL STOP! If he is invited to parties where there is alcohol he declines the invite cos he knows i wont allow it.
I have no idea why some adults think it is ok to let their own, let alone anyone elses kids, drink alcohol underage, whether it is with the parents permission or not!
My daughter is going to be 18 in January. She wants a party at home but she is the eldest amongst her mates so whilst they DO drink she wants to make it an alcohol free party! (guess she will find out who her real mates are then hey?)
Old Jul 22nd 2010, 3:39 pm
Not around much..

SDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by daunted
Alcohol is a huuuuge part of aussie living from what i have made of it so far and it is very worrying! My daughter is 17. If she wanted a glass of wine with sunday dinner i would probably allow ONE but i will not allow her to drink outside of the home - she can do that when she is legally allowed to at 18 years old!
My son is 15 and he is not allowed to drink FULL STOP! If he is invited to parties where there is alcohol he declines the invite cos he knows i wont allow it.
I have no idea why some adults think it is ok to let their own, let alone anyone elses kids, drink alcohol underage, whether it is with the parents permission or not!
My daughter is going to be 18 in January. She wants a party at home but she is the eldest amongst her mates so whilst they DO drink she wants to make it an alcohol free party! (guess she will find out who her real mates are then hey?)

Good for you being responsible..if we dont look out for our kids, then who will..

Too many are ready to shirk that responsibility in the name of coolness...

Google is a good tool to educate...images of cars wrapped around trees..and high school funerals..all too common here...
Old Jul 23rd 2010, 1:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SDDep
Good for you being responsible..if we dont look out for our kids, then who will..

Too many are ready to shirk that responsibility in the name of coolness...

Google is a good tool to educate...images of cars wrapped around trees..and high school funerals..all too common here...
visiting ED on thurs/fri/sat night is good for seeing the dangers of alcohol tooo.... but not working there lol