Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

osteopath vs chiropracter

osteopath vs chiropracter

Old Dec 14th 2008, 2:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

mooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to all
Default osteopath vs chiropracter

I have been advised to go and see someone to 'sort out my alignment'

What's the difference in what they do???
Old Dec 14th 2008, 9:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: osteopath vs chiropracter

Originally Posted by mooncat

An osteopath manipulates muscle; a chiropractor manipulates bone. Much more 'crunch' with a chiropractor.

Last edited by spartacus; Dec 14th 2008 at 10:02 pm.
Old Dec 14th 2008, 9:38 pm

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mooncat

I was once told to think of your back as a brick wall...

And that the osteopath fits the wall around the brick
And the chiropractor fits the brick back into the wall.

or:

'In general terms a few differences remain: Chiropractors are trained to take and interpret radiographs (Xrays) whereas osteopaths are trained only in their interpretation. For this reason, Xray analysis is more widespread in chiropractic practice.

Osteopaths do not practice Sacro Occipital Technique. In comparison to chiropractors, osteopaths tend to place more emphasis on soft tissue/muscle work and articulation/mobilisation of joints. '

I have been to both, and had much more sucess with a chiro than an osteo. Some chiros get a bad name because they do odd 'allergy' testing stuff which I find a little unbelievable. However, those which are more mainstream ('straight' chiro's)tend to be very accurate in finding out what's out and putting it back.
I spent years in pain and got fixed by the lovely Edwin, who now works in Birmingham UK.
I don't know where you live mooncat so can't offer any other recommendation than Edwin.

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Straight-...-osteopath.htm
Old Dec 14th 2008, 9:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TiddlyPom
I was once told to think of your back as a brick wall...

And that the osteopath fits the wall around the brick
And the chiropractor fits the brick back into the wall.

or:

'In general terms a few differences remain: Chiropractors are trained to take and interpret radiographs (Xrays) whereas osteopaths are trained only in their interpretation. For this reason, Xray analysis is more widespread in chiropractic practice.

Osteopaths do not practice Sacro Occipital Technique. In comparison to chiropractors, osteopaths tend to place more emphasis on soft tissue/muscle work and articulation/mobilisation of joints. '

I have been to both, and had much more sucess with a chiro than an osteo. Some chiros get a bad name because they do odd 'allergy' testing stuff which I find a little unbelievable. However, those which are more mainstream ('straight' chiro's)tend to be very accurate in finding out what's out and putting it back.
I spent years in pain and got fixed by the lovely Edwin, who now works in Birmingham UK.
I don't know where you live mooncat so can't offer any other recommendation than Edwin.

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Straight-...-osteopath.htm
What she said . . .
Old Dec 14th 2008, 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by spartacus
An osteopath manipulates muscle; a chiropractor manipultes bone. Much more 'crunch' with a chiropractor.
Oooh, I love that crunch..... I need to go see a chiro - I pulled my neck a few weeks ago and it's no better....
Old Dec 14th 2008, 9:42 pm

An osteopath manipulates muscle; a chiropractor manipultes bone. Much more 'crunch' with a chiropractor.

What he said.
Old Dec 14th 2008, 9:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Oooh, I love that crunch..... I need to go see a chiro - I pulled my neck a few weeks ago and it's no better....
Never been to either, so I'll have to take your word for it being a pleasurable experience. However, having observed others who've been to a chirpractor, there seems to be a need for repeat custom, which makes me a bit suspicious that, being 'realigned' so abruptly might make the patient more susceptible to becoming misaligned more easily.

Christ I need to get out more . . . !
Old Dec 14th 2008, 10:06 pm

Never been to either, so I'll have to take your word for it being a pleasurable experience. However, having observed others who've been to a chirpractor, there seems to be a need for repeat custom, which makes me a bit suspicious that, being 'realigned' so abruptly might make the patient more susceptible to becoming misaligned more easily.

Christ I need to get out more . . . !
Usually, a treatment will run over about 4-6 weeks. It's not a massive 'WHACK' and then you're in line again. It's a gentle and persuasive argument with the spine, rather than a forceful 'one off'.
An Osteo will also treat over the same amount of time.

My first session was so on the ball, he crunched me and I was pain free for the first time in about 2 years. It was an amazing feeling.
I went back every few weeks for a much shorter 'maintenance' session (which cost less) to encourage the spine and soft tissues (which had been injured and were therefore pulling and compensating for the injury, causing problems both sides) to stay where he'd encouraged them to move back to.
It was very gentle and never hurt.
Not even my wallet.
Old Dec 14th 2008, 10:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Usually, a treatment will run over about 4-6 weeks. It's not a massive 'WHACK' and then you're in line again. It's a gentle and persuasive argument with the spine, rather than a forceful 'one off'.
An Osteo will also treat over the same amount of time.

My first session was so on the ball, he crunched me and I was pain free for the first time in about 2 years. It was an amazing feeling.
I went back every few weeks for a much shorter 'maintenance' session (which cost less) to encourage the spine and soft tissues (which had been injured and were therefore pulling and compensating for the injury, causing problems both sides) to stay where he'd encouraged them to move back to.
It was very gentle and never hurt.
Not even my wallet.
Nice TP. You've allayed my suspicions.
Old Dec 14th 2008, 10:15 pm

Nice TP. You've allayed my suspicions.
Oh good.
Old Dec 14th 2008, 10:20 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

I've been to an osteopath numerous times with various issues; I wouldn't go to a chiropractor myself but that's mainly because I have osteoporosis and a crunch could really turn into a crack.

My wonderful osteo that I saw for the last few years has some good info on his site - unfortunately I don't seem to be able to link directly to the relevant pages but you can find them on the left-hand side menu: http://www.osteopath.com.sg/

A badly-trained chiropractor can do a LOT of damage, so choose carefully.
Old Dec 14th 2008, 10:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Seasider
I've been to an osteopath numerous times with various issues; I wouldn't go to a chiropractor myself but that's mainly because I have osteoporosis and a crunch could really turn into a crack.

My wonderful osteo that I saw for the last few years has some good info on his site - unfortunately I don't seem to be able to link directly to the relevant pages but you can find them on the left-hand side menu: http://www.osteopath.com.sg/

Good point S; existing medical issues always need to be taken into account.
Old Dec 14th 2008, 10:25 pm

Originally Posted by Seasider

Any badly trained medical person can cause a lot of damage! Osteo's too!

Get a personal recommnedation, I find that's the best way.
Old Dec 14th 2008, 10:51 pm
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

Need to be careful with your neck I saw a piece on TV saying they can tear allsorts of stuff.

Recommendation is a good start in choosing. There are good and bad in each. I've used several of each over the years some were brilliant others were frightening.
Old Dec 14th 2008, 11:03 pm

Originally Posted by Thydney
Need to be careful with your neck I saw a piece on TV saying they can tear allsorts of stuff.

Recommendation is a good start in choosing. There are good and bad in each. I've used several of each over the years some were brilliant others were frightening.
There's good and bad.... I usually interview my chiro too... before treatment. It's a good idea.
Never had a frightening one yet, though did once get a rather ineffective one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.