Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Optus 3G down in Brisbane?

Optus 3G down in Brisbane?

Old Apr 8th 2011, 8:50 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute
Angry Optus 3G down in Brisbane?

Bloody stupid 3G network down again. Didn't realise until a call I was expecting didn't come through:curse:

check out your moby it seems it might be a problem http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1635630

Anyone else having probs?
Old Apr 8th 2011, 10:38 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Optus 3G down in Brisbane?

An Optus link in SMelbourne was very flappy today.
Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
Bloody stupid 3G network down again. Didn't realise until a call I was expecting didn't come through:curse:

check out your moby it seems it might be a problem http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1635630

Anyone else having probs?
Old Apr 8th 2011, 10:46 am

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Melbourn too?

Just rang Optus, automated message said to put own mobile number in to system, received automated response saying Optus were aware of the prob and would fix it. So I called theor Op to find out how long. Was told it could be my one year old Iphone So asked how come the automated message said Optus were aware calls in my area for 3G were not working correctly due to engineering malfunction

Prob is it's intermittent and I only realised cos I was waiting for a call back and instead it went direct to voicemail:curse:

bloody technology.....
Old Apr 8th 2011, 10:50 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IvanM
An Optus link in SMelbourne was very flappy today.
I heard someone complaining about Vodafone in S Melbourne today???

I am with 3 and for 3 - 4 months data has been virtually unusable in Melbourne CBD...finally something happened this week, and I'm back to being able to stream video / music etc.

Amateurs!
Old Apr 8th 2011, 10:54 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

People have been complaining about Vodanob for a year all over Australia.
Originally Posted by bcworld
I heard someone complaining about Vodafone in S Melbourne today???

I am with 3 and for 3 - 4 months data has been virtually unusable in Melbourne CBD...finally something happened this week, and I'm back to being able to stream video / music etc.

Amateurs!
Old Apr 11th 2011, 6:24 am

Well folks here's an update on the Optus service and my Iphone that could impact you all at some point if you have the same combo.....

To recap;
My Optus service keeps dropping out, texts don't arrive or are late arriving, sent texts don't arrive, calls are sometimes dropping out, unable to make calls etc. This is all random by the way....happens sometimes and other times not.

Rang Optus today to ask why after a year the service has got bad? Was informed "Iphones are the equivalent to 12 normal phones and the more people acquire them in your area the less service you are likely to receive"

Be aware this can happen in any area. The more people who use the Iphone in your area the more clogged up the Optus network will be and service will diminish on your Iphone

I wasn't told this when I bought the sodding thing nor when I took out the Optus service

So if your Optus service suddenly goes tits up, this could be why
Old Apr 11th 2011, 6:41 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Erm, it's not the iPhone's fault. It's more to do with smart phones in general & them failing to plan the capacity of their network accordingly!
Old Apr 11th 2011, 6:58 am

Erm, it's not the iPhone's fault. It's more to do with smart phones in general & them failing to plan the capacity of their network accordingly!
Yes agree; I'm using the Ipone as an example as that's what I've got. Optus
sold me it with their network (was with Telstra before and much better connection).

The moral of the story is what Optus failed to say was the network connectivity will get lousier in my area the more Iphone's (or smartphones) are used:curse:

They feel so bad about it they've offered to wipe out my remaining life of the contract - now that they've had 16months of my money that is
Old Apr 11th 2011, 7:05 am
Frequent Flyer Member

Yes agree; I'm using the Ipone as an example as that's what I've got. Optus
sold me it with their network (was with Telstra before and much better connection).

The moral of the story is what Optus failed to say was the network connectivity will get lousier in my area the more Iphone's (or smartphones) are used:curse:

They feel so bad about it they've offered to wipe out my remaining life of the contract - now that they've had 16months of my money that is
I've had similar discussions with 3...recently they've been refunding my entire plan charge every month!

They say, oh but we've had so many new subscribers. Well plan for that morons! What really irks me is their website is always chock full of offers; 8Gb mobile broadband $19/month etc...of course people will sign up! Then what!???
Old Apr 11th 2011, 7:13 am

I've had similar discussions with 3...recently they've been refunding my entire plan charge every month!

They say, oh but we've had so many new subscribers. Well plan for that morons! What really irks me is their website is always chock full of offers; 8Gb mobile broadband $19/month etc...of course people will sign up! Then what!???
That's interesting that 3 have offered to refund you your entire plan. Bloody Optus said they'd fund me half of the $89 plan until the contract runs out in Dec - or the other option is to send back the Iphone and they wipe the contract off (yeh great after I paid $1,600 for it already).

I said what good is it being refunded half the contract amount if I don't sodding receive the calls or texts half the time?:curse:

And like you, I mentioned to them why they haven't planned on the network expansion. Why should I be expected to pay for their poor planning and they are still selling the service even though they know it's poor and getting worse:curse:

I'm abolutly gobsmacked these tossers can do this and get away with it. It's literally daylight robbery
Old Apr 11th 2011, 7:18 am
Frequent Flyer Member

I've been with 3 for 4.5 years and my contract is up in 3 months...hence the reason they are so eager to please. I've actually never had an issue with calls & SMS...only data.

They want me to migrate to Vodafone, same company now of course. The data problem in Melbourne dramatically resolved a week ago after months of crap...however I still plan to investigate my options and milk 3 for all I can should I decide to renew with 3 or Vodafone.
Old Apr 11th 2011, 7:32 am

I've been with 3 for 4.5 years and my contract is up in 3 months...hence the reason they are so eager to please. I've actually never had an issue with calls & SMS...only data.

They want me to migrate to Vodafone, same company now of course. The data problem in Melbourne dramatically resolved a week ago after months of crap...however I still plan to investigate my options and milk 3 for all I can should I decide to renew with 3 or Vodafone.
I've never had a problem with calls or texts till recently and because it was random never noticed. Had it not been for people letting me know I hadn't got their text and vice versa or calls not even ringing the other end never mind registering, then I wouldn't have known that either:curse:

The reason why it may have dramatically resolved itself in your area is because apparently the engineers sometimes (after many complaints) re-set the network and reset the network (so they told me). I would hazzard a guess that this means they swap around so users get a break from the probs (which also makes it difficult to detect the pattern i.e. creates a random prob

All very suss, very poor planning and shite customer service. And this is sanctioned by the government
Old Apr 13th 2011, 11:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Rang Optus today to ask why after a year the service has got bad? Was informed "Iphones are the equivalent to 12 normal phones and the more people acquire them in your area the less service you are likely to receive"

Be aware this can happen in any area. The more people who use the Iphone in your area the more clogged up the Optus network will be and service will diminish on your Iphone
And the libs say wireless will replace wired needs massive investment just to keep up with current growth serving current uses, let alone future uses. It will be a complementary technology to the much more scalable optical fibre.
Old Apr 13th 2011, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by fish.01
And the libs say wireless will replace wired needs massive investment just to keep up with current growth serving current uses, let alone future uses. It will be a complementary technology to the much more scalable optical fibre.
Agreed. It's crap and will only get worse mate Whats a real naff me off is the government allow these clowns to continue selling smart phones when they can't even manage with what's on the network already. Adding to this current congestion means those of us already on the network get an even worse service as time goes on:curse:

We might have to go back to telegrams and morse code
Old Apr 13th 2011, 12:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

I went to telstra last year 49 per month including calls, data and the cost of purchasing the iPhone 4...was too good to say no (was an upfront approx $149 fee as well). Never any network issues and high speed. Does this help you at all?

Last edited by fish.01; Apr 13th 2011 at 12:11 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.