opticians

Old Jul 14th 2009, 6:20 am
Forum Regular

Location: Melbourne UK to Helensville Nz to Secret Harbour Perth WA
donki is an unknown quantity at this point
Default opticians

hi can anyone give a rough estimate on check ups and any costs on specs lens etc (perth)

thanks
Old Jul 14th 2009, 6:53 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: opticians

Originally Posted by donki
hi can anyone give a rough estimate on check ups and any costs on specs lens etc (perth)

thanks
Check ups should be free (bulk billed automatically). If anywhere tries charging you go elsewhere. As for cost of specs - from about $100 to infinity and beyond.
Old Jul 14th 2009, 7:04 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Yup - you get one free eye test on Medicare every two years. Had mine yesterday so I know the info is current.

Lenses and frames can cost anything you like.
Old Jul 14th 2009, 7:05 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Check ups should be free (bulk billed automatically). If anywhere tries charging you go elsewhere. As for cost of specs - from about $100 to infinity and beyond.
My daughter wanted those "infinity and beyond" ones.... I compromised with contact lenses instead....

Old Jul 14th 2009, 8:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Pommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud of

Yep, had to go 4 eyed since been here... Medicare pays for the eye test then the sky is the limit as far as actual glasses are concerned. Your helath insurance might shout you for some of the cost.
Old Jul 14th 2009, 8:40 am
ABCDiamond

Examples of budget prices specs:

$49 Basic Budget line

$105 Bendable

Price includes single vision prescription lenses.

Another Optician chain quotes:
Complete glasses from $59
2 pairs of single vision glasses from $179
2 pairs of Designer single vision glasses from $299
2 pairs of multifocals from $329

Old Jul 14th 2009, 8:43 am
BE Enthusiast

cookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to all

On this same subject (I hope you don't mind if I hijack your thread rather than starting a new one!), contact lenses. I have a copy of my lens prescription from my optician in the UK, and enough lenses to see me through (pardon the pun!) the first 2 months in Oz. Will this prescription be enough to get a new supply of lenses in Oz, or will the insist on an eye test?

Can anyone recommend a good value place to pick up monthly toric lenses in Brisbane? I only pay £18/3 months here just now.
Old Jul 14th 2009, 8:51 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Don't fall for that "2 pairs from $179" crap. That's $179 for the frames that were in style in 1987 or if you are a 75 year old bag lady. Oh, and it's single vision lenses with little or no astigamtism included and the coke bottle thickness.

My last pair of glasses were just over $700. $175 for frames (on sale) and $525 for multifocal lenses. The ones before that, just less than a year ago, were even more.

Medicare will pay for eye exams more frequently than bi-annual if there is a change in your prescription or a medical need. It seems my vision is deteriorating rather rapidly, so I get mine checked every 6 months and haven't paid a cent for the exam.
Old Jul 14th 2009, 9:17 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by cookiestar
On this same subject (I hope you don't mind if I hijack your thread rather than starting a new one!), contact lenses. I have a copy of my lens prescription from my optician in the UK, and enough lenses to see me through (pardon the pun!) the first 2 months in Oz. Will this prescription be enough to get a new supply of lenses in Oz, or will the insist on an eye test?

Can anyone recommend a good value place to pick up monthly toric lenses in Brisbane? I only pay £18/3 months here just now.
Not sure which you use so difficult to compare, but here are price comparisons for my daughters ones:

UK
Focus Dailies (Box of 90) Contact Lenses
£31.50/Box

AUS
Focus Dailies Aqua Release 90-pack
AU$62.00

Your existing prescription should be OK.

Old Jul 14th 2009, 9:22 am
BE Enthusiast

cookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to all

Thanks ABC. I use Coopervision Xcel Toric monthlies. Seems that they cost almost exactly the same then, looking at your comparison.
Old Jul 14th 2009, 9:39 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by cookiestar
Thanks ABC. I use Coopervision Xcel Toric monthlies. Seems that they cost almost exactly the same then, looking at your comparison.
The place I buy from, at the moment, show:

CooperVision Frequency XCEL Toric 3-pack AU$49.00

But I would be looking at a different supplier for Toric, having looked at those prices. Something more like
Focus Toric Monthly $50 (6 lenses per Box)

But then, I don't know much about the differences.