Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

The offical book club thread

Wikiposts

The offical book club thread

Old Mar 1st 2008, 8:52 pm
NO, we're GOING there....

gorgeousgal is just really nicegorgeousgal is just really nicegorgeousgal is just really nicegorgeousgal is just really nicegorgeousgal is just really nicegorgeousgal is just really nicegorgeousgal is just really nicegorgeousgal is just really nicegorgeousgal is just really nicegorgeousgal is just really nicegorgeousgal is just really nice
Default Re: The offical book club thread

Amazon has amazingly cheap second hand book. Beats ebay.
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 12:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Haven't brought a 'new' book since arriving here... but in the UK only brought new books if it was one I HAD to have and wanted to keep.. Tight arse that I am.. so nothing nre there

I picked up the Mao book written by the girl who wrote White Swans (Jung Chang) yesterday at the carboot sale... cost me $5 second hand... but I wanted to read it when it first came out.. and couldn't afford it..

Hideoulsy heavy going and not very subjective ... so far..

I read anything and everything, but am a HUGE Terry Pratchett Fan, I adore his works...

Can never read the same book twice (apart from Enid Blyton... which as a kid I loved and would read over and over again) and cannot 'read to order' so am a miserable failure at 'book circles' I have to be in the right mood and have peace and quiet, which with 4 kids and HIM isn't that often at the moment.

Had 'brain' surgery 4 years ago and 'lost' some memory, possibly the surgery, possibly the heavy anaesthetic, don't know... one of the BEST things about this is that I can re read the earlier Terry Pratchetts becasue I have forgotten large parts of them!!!

I loved the Helen Forrester Liverpool books... chewing gum for the mind, but hugely readable and based on her own life story..
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 12:13 pm
Aussie lost in the UK

AndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond repute

I read a lot - I get through about 40-50 novels a year (although, I'm having a slow period at the moment and been stuck on the same one for a week!!).

Anyway, the best book I have every read is PILLARS OF THE EARTH by KEN FOLLETT....... everyone that I have recommended it to loves it - if you have never read it I suggest you give it a go!!!

the sequel was released last year called World without end and is almost as good.
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 1:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by AndyR1976
I read a lot - I get through about 40-50 novels a year (although, I'm having a slow period at the moment and been stuck on the same one for a week!!).

Anyway, the best book I have every read is PILLARS OF THE EARTH by KEN FOLLETT....... everyone that I have recommended it to loves it - if you have never read it I suggest you give it a go!!!

the sequel was released last year called World without end and is almost as good.
Wonderful book Andy ...probably his best I think.
I am a huge fan of Clive Cussler and I've got every
book he has written....Dirk Pitt, NUMA Files, Oregon Files...
about 34 in all. His next one is due out on April 1st, it's
called 'Plague Ship' and is an Oregon Files book (Juan Cabrillo
and his Corporation)
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 2:14 pm
Just enjoying being here

rebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud of

I'm just finishing off Sepulchre by Kate Mosse - quite a good read - probably putting it on ebay after if anyone fancies it! I've just read a couple of Rachael Treasure books which are a nice quick read and Australian - have just ordered Jillaroo from the library - book prices are very scary here.
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 3:02 pm
Aussie lost in the UK

AndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vin 'n Bin
Wonderful book Andy ...probably his best I think.
Yeah, I think Pillars was by far the greatest book I have ever read - although at 1200 pages it took me a few weeks.....it was the only book I have ever read where I would get up early in the morning so I had a spare 15 mins to read a chapter before work........

Problem is now I haven't been able to find a book that comes close to how good pillars was....
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 3:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to behold

Yeah, I think Pillars was by far the greatest book I have ever read - although at 1200 pages it took me a few weeks.....it was the only book I have ever read where I would get up early in the morning so I had a spare 15 mins to read a chapter before work........

Problem is now I haven't been able to find a book that comes close to how good pillars was....
Andy, you should have seen how 'thick' 'Pillars' was by the time my sister-in-law had finished it
She had fallen asleep at the side of the pool whilst reading it.....she rolled over and fell in By the time it dried and she loaned it to me it was
about 18 inches thick...and very stiff!
I must admit it took me a week or two to read it, it's thick enough as it is...but would definately recommend it. I have noted the follow-up so
will look out for it when I'm at the shops on Friday...thanks for that
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 3:42 pm
South Yarra Sheila

JoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Carrianne
I like to read many genres of book, and wondered what you had read lately that you could recommend or hated.

I have just finished Gordon Ramsays book, before and simultaneously I was reading Pride and Prejudice and Peter Kays book. Then started the Hunchback of Notre Dame, but is was too heavy going at the time.

What about you?
READ THIS! Ken Follett's latest offering "World without End" is fantastic-really strong characters and very exciting. I can't rave about it enough. It's a huge tome so be prepared!
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 3:44 pm
South Yarra Sheila

JoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond repute

Just saw your post! Glad to see a fellow fan
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 10:44 pm
On the Dark Side :-)

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute

I started this thread recently and theres some great authors listed in it

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=510449
Old Mar 4th 2008, 7:17 am
Forum Regular

jdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud of

I have just read all the Karin Slaughter books (except for Triptych which is being shipped ready for me to read when I get to Oz) - they were brilliant.

Just reading one by Simon Kernick called Relentless which is very good.

Also like James Patterson, Stephen King, Anne Rice, John Grisham, Virginia Andrews (basically lots and lots of different authors and genres - just love books really!!!)
Old Mar 6th 2008, 2:19 am
Forum Regular

Kangy-roo is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree with you I really enjoyed Pillars of the Earth. I will look out for the 'World Without End' if you think it is as good. have also read Clive Cusslers 'Treasure' which I thought was great. I tried to read some of his other stuff but couldn't get into them, but perhaps I just wasn't in the right mood for them.

I have read a couple of Terry Prachett, I am either rolling with laughter or saying "Eh?", my Mum is adicted to them and will read them over and over again, she says alot of the comments refer to earlier books so I guess the more you read the funnier they get. I do think he is a brilliant writer. My favourite so far is the one where DEATH decides to take a holiday, I think it is called "Reaper man" or something like that.
Old Mar 6th 2008, 2:51 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: The offical book club thread

Haven't read any fiction for a while; I'm into in historical/political stuff at the moment.

Recently read:

One Soldier's War in Chechnya; Arkady Babchenko.
All the Shah's Men; Stephen Kinzer.
Currently reading:

The White Man's Burden: Why the West's Efforts to Aid the Rest have Done So Much Ill and So Little Good; William Easterly.
The Cold War; John Lewis Gaddis.
Old Mar 6th 2008, 2:53 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: The offical book club thread

Originally Posted by Kangy-roo
I have read a couple of Terry Prachett, I am either rolling with laughter or saying "Eh?", my Mum is adicted to them and will read them over and over again, she says alot of the comments refer to earlier books so I guess the more you read the funnier they get. I do think he is a brilliant writer. My favourite so far is the one where DEATH decides to take a holiday, I think it is called "Reaper man" or something like that.
Yes!! Terry Pratchett is legendary! I am slowly building up a collection of his books.

He was in Perth for the launch of The Last Continent, which I attended. He's a surprisingly short man but a great public speaker, and just as funny in real life as he is in his books.

He also "Ws" his "Rs", if you get me.
Old Mar 6th 2008, 3:17 am
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

I love this book! Have read it a couple of times. Didn't realise there was a sequel - I'll be buying that at the weekend

Originally Posted by rebnatoli
I'm just finishing off Sepulchre by Kate Mosse - quite a good read - probably putting it on ebay after if anyone fancies it!

I've just bought this book as I loved her first book - Labyrinth

Originally Posted by jdraper
I have just read all the Karin Slaughter books (except for Triptych which is being shipped ready for me to read when I get to Oz) - they were brilliant.
I love Karin Slaughter, Tess gerritsen, Julianne Hoffmann. Patricia Cornwell.
All similar types of book. Crime and murder. My OH thinks I'm sick

My favourite series of book is the Earth children series. Clan of the cavebear etc. Absoulutely brilliant

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.