Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

The offical book club thread

The offical book club thread

Old Feb 29th 2008, 9:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Carrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to behold
Default The offical book club thread

I like to read many genres of book, and wondered what you had read lately that you could recommend or hated.

I have just finished Gordon Ramsays book, before and simultaneously I was reading Pride and Prejudice and Peter Kays book. Then started the Hunchback of Notre Dame, but is was too heavy going at the time.

What about you?
Old Feb 29th 2008, 9:39 am
CynOpt

CynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of light

Wirelessly posted (t/x: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; PalmSource/Palm-D050; Blazer/4.3) 16;448x320)

iain m banks. matter.
Old Feb 29th 2008, 3:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: A Small Village in Somerset.......out in the sticks
memewest is a glorious beacon of lightmemewest is a glorious beacon of lightmemewest is a glorious beacon of lightmemewest is a glorious beacon of lightmemewest is a glorious beacon of lightmemewest is a glorious beacon of lightmemewest is a glorious beacon of lightmemewest is a glorious beacon of lightmemewest is a glorious beacon of lightmemewest is a glorious beacon of lightmemewest is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: The offical book club thread

Originally Posted by Carrianne
I like to read many genres of book, and wondered what you had read lately that you could recommend or hated.

I have just finished Gordon Ramsays book, before and simultaneously I was reading Pride and Prejudice and Peter Kays book. Then started the Hunchback of Notre Dame, but is was too heavy going at the time.

What about you?
Hi, absolutely love books, and have been advised to take as many as possible to Oz with me when we go as they cost a fortune over there.....
That seems a long way off yet, but am currently reading through the Ian Rankin, Rebus books......Police/crime fiction set in scotland....also very much into Jodi Picoult, got quite a few but not read many of them yet, am starting my little collection of them and planning to fill the container with books.....
Old Feb 29th 2008, 4:48 pm
Forum Regular

Kangy-roo is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, I love reading too. However I enjoy the more easy reading books. My favourite authors are Wilbur Smith (specially the Egyptian novels), then lots of girly books like Jilly Cooper, Jill Mansell. I also love the Harry Potter books and Michelle Paver (Wolf Brother) series, but thats probably because a read them with my sons.

Is it true that books are really expensive out there. I will have to raid the local Oxfam book shop before the removal men come. To they have Oxfam (or other second hand book shops) in Perth?
Old Feb 29th 2008, 5:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

memewest is a glorious beacon of lightmemewest is a glorious beacon of lightmemewest is a glorious beacon of lightmemewest is a glorious beacon of lightmemewest is a glorious beacon of lightmemewest is a glorious beacon of lightmemewest is a glorious beacon of lightmemewest is a glorious beacon of lightmemewest is a glorious beacon of lightmemewest is a glorious beacon of lightmemewest is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Kangy-roo
Hi, I love reading too. However I enjoy the more easy reading books. My favourite authors are Wilbur Smith (specially the Egyptian novels), then lots of girly books like Jilly Cooper, Jill Mansell. I also love the Harry Potter books and Michelle Paver (Wolf Brother) series, but thats probably because a read them with my sons.

Is it true that books are really expensive out there. I will have to raid the local Oxfam book shop before the removal men come. To they have Oxfam (or other second hand book shops) in Perth?
I read on here somewhere when i first started coming onto BE that books in Australia are really expensive to buy, so they were advised to take loads out with them when they moved.....i plan too......can't live without books to read....imagine, sitting on your verandah, glass of wine, with the sun just starting to set and delving into a good read..... ahhhhh my idea of bliss....
Have read a few Jilly Cooper, but seem to watch the Harry Potter DVD's when they come out with the kids, don't get a look in when the books come out...like true story books, and love the collection of books by Jean Auel - The Clan of the Cave Bear is the 1st in a collection of 5.....read them at school and there was only 3 then, have now got all 5 and they are the sort that you can read again and again.....
God i sound really boring.....
Don't know if Oz has Oxfam but am sure they must have an equivalent....let me know when you get out there as sounds like your going to be there before us!!
Old Feb 29th 2008, 5:40 pm
Forum Regular

weez75 is just really niceweez75 is just really niceweez75 is just really niceweez75 is just really niceweez75 is just really niceweez75 is just really niceweez75 is just really niceweez75 is just really niceweez75 is just really niceweez75 is just really niceweez75 is just really nice

i love books to, can't get enough of them , currently reading paula spencer by roddy doyle ( he wrote the commitments and is really funny , not this book tho!)
like jodi piccoult, martina cole , have recently finished the time travellers wife , can't remember who it was by but it was very good and also curious incident of the dog in the night (not sure if the title is right) is a good one as well, what are the libraries like in oz does any one know ???
Old Feb 29th 2008, 5:44 pm
Forum Regular

Hi MemeWest

Yes I've read four of the Jean Auel books, I'm not sure about the fifth I remember the last one being a little disappointing, very descriptive but lacking in story. The first 3 were good.

When are you moving out and where too?
Old Feb 29th 2008, 6:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

sambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Carrianne

What about you?
I like to read.. but have to kinda be in the mood... I read Gordon Ramseys book... really enjoyed it.. and Peter Kayes too. My absolute favorite is Marian Keyes.. Hysterical... If you enjoy the irish sense of humour you'll love her books.. I just got 2 of her books of Amazon for like $3 each!!
Old Feb 29th 2008, 6:15 pm
Forum Regular

I have just finished reading a Marian Keyes book, about a girl in a drug rehabilitation centre, it was really good.
Old Feb 29th 2008, 6:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

sambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond repute

Rachel's holiday... Yeah Marian Keyes was an alcoholic.. think she drew on her own experiances! I have read just about all her books... never been disappointed
Old Feb 29th 2008, 6:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hi MemeWest

Yes I've read four of the Jean Auel books, I'm not sure about the fifth I remember the last one being a little disappointing, very descriptive but lacking in story. The first 3 were good.

When are you moving out and where too?
We're hoping to be there by the end of the year, somewhere between Sydney and Brisbane, have family in Newcastle area...What about yourself??

Try and get the 5th book....is much better than the 4th, i agree, was alot about senery, wildlife, etc and not the actual characters..... don't know if there is a 6th one and if not, why not.??

What about Virginia Andrews - Flowers in the Attic Series.....read them at school too and have just started to collect them as there are more now.....think they are based on a true story....
Never read Marian Keyes.....would you recommend??
Old Feb 29th 2008, 8:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

If you want something that has just come out then yes, it can be expensive. But if you're like me and read anything you can get your hands on you can find some great bargains if you look around.

To give you an idea: I bought 7th Heaven from BigW last week and it cost me $19.90. I also bought a two pack of Wendy Holden books for $7.50 (with an asda sticker on saying £7.99 )

I also have a beauty of a book exchange shop near me, they have thousands of books - some are a tad old though
Old Mar 1st 2008, 9:27 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by memewest
We're hoping to be there by the end of the year, somewhere between Sydney and Brisbane, have family in Newcastle area...What about yourself??

Try and get the 5th book....is much better than the 4th, i agree, was alot about senery, wildlife, etc and not the actual characters..... don't know if there is a 6th one and if not, why not.??

What about Virginia Andrews - Flowers in the Attic Series.....read them at school too and have just started to collect them as there are more now.....think they are based on a true story....
Never read Marian Keyes.....would you recommend??
Virginia Andrews - Flowers in the Attic Series, quite haunting if I remember, are the newer ones about the same characters? I read the first 4 I think years ago and thought they were really good, although not my normally 'baddies get there come-up-ance'.

Hi SambaPink
Rachel's holiday was good ... it is the only Marian Keyes book I have read. Could you recommend any others?

Hi Wendy
I only tend to buy books new when it's my favorite authors, and then I just can't wait . For anything else we have a great Oxfam book shop near us full of all the latest books that people have just read and given in, and you feel like you are giving your money to a good cause too. .
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 6:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Carrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to behold

A good wide variety. I have you ever read a book finished it then decided to read it again?

I read a book that was from the UK and had to be ordered in called Beyond Coincidence. A book on the science of coincidence then, many chapters in real life ones ....only the amazing and I have to say I finished it then started again I was just so amazed.

I get my books from ebay, amazon, normal shops and the smelly old books shops.
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 6:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Virginia Andrews - Flowers in the Attic Series, quite haunting if I remember, are the newer ones about the same characters? I read the first 4 I think years ago and thought they were really good, although not my normally 'baddies get there come-up-ance'.

Hi SambaPink
Rachel's holiday was good ... it is the only Marian Keyes book I have read. Could you recommend any others?

Hi Wendy
I only tend to buy books new when it's my favorite authors, and then I just can't wait . For anything else we have a great Oxfam book shop near us full of all the latest books that people have just read and given in, and you feel like you are giving your money to a good cause too. .
I haven't been disappointed with any of her books... Heres a couple more to try.. Last Chance Saloon, Sushi for beginners, Watermelon, The otherside of the story... She also has 2 books called.. Under the duvet and Further under the duvet.. They are both 'short story' type books... and some unpublished articles she has written.. So you can pick them up at any time and flick through... let me know if you try any of them, and what you think... I personally think she is hysterical... but then I belong to an irish family, so i relate to everything she says!

And try Amazon... you can pick up 2nd hand one's cheap as chips

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.