Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Now getting cold calling on my mobile number

Now getting cold calling on my mobile number

Old Sep 8th 2009, 2:11 am
Account Closed

Tooterelli is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Now getting cold calling on my mobile number

Am so pissed off at the calls I get on my home phone even although I have registered with no calls (or whatever it is). Someone on this site gave me the information.

I have now just received a call from TSA "on behalf of Telstra" saying that they note I'm not with them (I'm a Virgin customer) and the usual sales talk. He wouldn't get off my line.

Is this the start of calls on my personal mobile?! What can I do about it?

Is there somewhere to register so that it won't happen again?
Old Sep 8th 2009, 2:35 am
Hasta la victoria siempre

johnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Now getting cold calling on my mobile number

Have you registered you mobile number with Do Not Call?

There's loopholes in the Do Not Call register. Some companies use foreign marketing operations to call, so they don't have to comply with Aus regulations. You can report constant marketing calls to your operator and copy the complaint to the Telephone Ombudsman, although sometimes there's not much they can do.

For instance I keep getting fax calls on my home phone from marketing companies, sometimes several a day (had three so far in the last twenty minutes). Usually a call or e-mail to the company responsible with a request to take you off their "global calling list" is enough. To find out who is actually calling you, try this website: www.whocallsme.com

So for these guys who've just called me, I've found out who the company is, now just to need to find out their e-mail address and send them a polite but stern e-mail, and hopefully should be sorted....
Old Sep 8th 2009, 4:11 am

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Put the phone down on them.

If it's a private number, don't answer it.
Old Sep 8th 2009, 4:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Try calling from indoors . . . alternatively, if you must use the mobile outside, carry a jumper . . .
Old Sep 8th 2009, 4:24 am

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by spartacus
Try calling from indoors . . . alternatively, if you must use the mobile outside, carry a jumper . . .
Oh, that's good.
Old Sep 8th 2009, 4:38 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

We havent had a single telemarketer call since 2004 when we switched to VOIP and abandonned our telstra number.

UNTIL last week..... My wife opened an account with one of the major banks (Why I have NO idea?!) - and gave them our home number. less than 24 hours later they were on our case and had called us with some sales/markettng sh&t that really annoyed me. Since then she called the bank and got our phone number expunged from their records.

If it turns out that our number has been compromised then I guess we'll just have to get a new number from the VOIP provider and let everyone know. Its a bit of a pain, but far less painful than fending off unwated calls every minute of the day.

If my mobile number was compromised I'd be really pissed off (same number for 11 years - I dont really want to have to lose it).

Good luck - Telstra are one of the worst offenders when it comes to tele-sales and privacy so I hope the OP manages to get away 'cleanly' before their number sliips onto a list in general telesales criculation.
Old Sep 8th 2009, 4:41 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

nice one ya cheeky barstewart.
Old Sep 8th 2009, 4:42 am
BE Enthusiast

desperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of light

that is good!