Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Notifing childrens tax credits & family allowance b4 we come to Oz!

Notifing childrens tax credits & family allowance b4 we come to Oz!

Old Jul 16th 2009, 6:59 pm
Living the dream

tawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to behold
Default Notifing childrens tax credits & family allowance b4 we come to Oz!

Hi all. Just need a bit of advice please...
We are hoping to make our move to Perth Sept 09.
My OH has been out of work since April so we have notified the Childrens Tax Credit people of the change of circumstances in salary.
We estimated that his salary would be £18,000 if he was to start work now here in the UK but as we are moving to Oz we contacted them again to advise them.
They have said that when we move we need to notify them of my OH Oz salary as this will be taken into consideration when working out if we have recieved too much or not enough for this tax year Is this right???
Why should his salary in Oz affect what we were entitled to when were living here??? I understand that as soon as we fly to Oz Childrens Tax credit & family allowance stops so why do they need to know this & how will it affect what has been paid to us? Last thing I want is to have to pay anything back next year...
Old Jul 16th 2009, 9:11 pm
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Notifing childrens tax credits & family allowance b4 we come to Oz!

Originally Posted by tawkins1
They have said that when we move we need to notify them of my OH Oz salary as this will be taken into consideration when working out if we have recieved too much or not enough for this tax year Is this right???
Why should his salary in Oz affect what we were entitled to when were living here??? I understand that as soon as we fly to Oz Childrens Tax credit & family allowance stops so why do they need to know this & how will it affect what has been paid to us? Last thing I want is to have to pay anything back next year...
I've never heard anyone mention that before... but Australia does take account of your UK income for the first year in some respects, so maybe things are changing in the UK ?

Or maybe someone just got it wrong. Try and ring again to get it clarified.

Old Jul 16th 2009, 9:51 pm
The Brains

ray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to all

Perhaps the people concerned think Australia is Austria and part of the EEC!
Old Jul 17th 2009, 3:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Shellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to behold

Hi all. Just need a bit of advice please...
We are hoping to make our move to Perth Sept 09.
My OH has been out of work since April so we have notified the Childrens Tax Credit people of the change of circumstances in salary.
We estimated that his salary would be £18,000 if he was to start work now here in the UK but as we are moving to Oz we contacted them again to advise them.
They will need to know, where the income comes from is irrelevant Income from all sources is counted.. Payments received each month are based on projected earnings for the next 12 months so they need to know if they owe you money (which they might if you are not working in Aus straight away) or if you owe them.
Old Jul 18th 2009, 4:15 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Personally, considering what an incompetent bunch of morons they are, I would just cancel it all now. It will give you a few months of heated exchanges to sort it out so to avoid an international debate. I started the process about four months before we left but due to their incredible incompetence, I was still getting requests for money, information as to how much they owed us, statements that disagreed with both previous comments for over two years here. I just threw the correspondence in the bin eventually not knowing or caring if they owed us 100 pounds or if we owed them 20 pounds.

Good luck. Oh and don't let them have a forwarding address whether UK or Aus. Life will be sweeter for you.

And people moan about red tape in Aus
Old Jul 18th 2009, 5:09 am
Forum Regular

nevsy is just really nicenevsy is just really nicenevsy is just really nicenevsy is just really nicenevsy is just really nicenevsy is just really nicenevsy is just really nicenevsy is just really nice

As far as I,m aware you will not be entitled to Tax Credits once you leave the U.K they will continue paying you what you are owed up until the balance has been paid to you for that tax year as this is a credit system and works as per the previous tax year.
Hope this helps

Nev
Old Jul 18th 2009, 8:05 am
Living the dream!

kar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to all

Did they possibly mean your husbands final salary on leaving? I had to tell them the details on my and my husbands p45 - and they used that to work it out. Please be aware that they will **** up, there is no doubt about it! I phoned and told them we'd left the country, a week later got a letter telling me the date of the next payment!!
Old Jul 19th 2009, 10:43 am
Living the dream

tawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for your replies. I think i'll ring them again & get them to explain everything to me. Your probably right tho moneypenny I might just cancel it all & have done with it... My OH hasn't worked since 9/4 & I'm only on a low salary which I dont pay tax on its so low.... Surely if we haven't earned anything here in the Uk then we wont be owing them anything

Last edited by tawkins1; Jul 19th 2009 at 11:13 am.
Old Jul 19th 2009, 11:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your replies. I think i'll ring them again & get them to explain everything to me. Your probably right tho Dorothy I might just cancel it all & have done with it... My OH hasn't worked since 9/4 & I'm only on a low salary which I dont pay tax on its so low.... Surely if we haven't earned anything here in the Uk then we wont be owing them anything
Just a guess, but my money's on ShellyJ's answer....that they will count your earnings in OZ and make an annual adjustment that could see them asking for money. Like ABC said Australia looks at your UK income when calculating your first year in Australia.
Old Jul 19th 2009, 11:18 am
Living the dream

Originally Posted by Shellyj
They will need to know, where the income comes from is irrelevant Income from all sources is counted.. Payments received each month are based on projected earnings for the next 12 months so they need to know if they owe you money (which they might if you are not working in Aus straight away) or if you owe them.
Hopefully they'll be owing us then seeing as we haven't earned anything yet! We estimated that he would earn £18,000 in 6 months if he was to stay here in the uk & be able to get a job. Can't see him earning that now, he still has no job here & the one in Oz he probably wont start till Oct...
Old Jul 19th 2009, 12:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Hopefully they'll be owing us then seeing as we haven't earned anything yet! We estimated that he would earn £18,000 in 6 months if he was to stay here in the uk & be able to get a job. Can't see him earning that now, he still has no job here & the one in Oz he probably wont start till Oct...
In that case I'm sure they'll lose your forwarding address