Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Why is Jaws on telly so often in Oz?!

Why is Jaws on telly so often in Oz?!

Old Jul 19th 2009, 6:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Rainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond repute
Default Why is Jaws on telly so often in Oz?!

Just been for a walk to Long Reef, Northern Beaches and saw 2 humpbacks and 15 or 20 dolphins. Came home feeling it's lovely living in Australia, switched on the TV and Jaws is on. I'm not exaggerating, but it's been on telly no less than 8 times since I came out here last September. Why?!! Answers on a postcard...
Old Jul 19th 2009, 6:10 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why is Jaws on telly so often in Oz?!

Originally Posted by Rainydaze
Just been for a walk to Long Reef, Northern Beaches and saw 2 humpbacks and 15 or 20 dolphins. Came home feeling it's lovely living in Australia, switched on the TV and Jaws is on. I'm not exaggerating, but it's been on telly no less than 8 times since I came out here last September. Why?!! Answers on a postcard...
If I send the postcard by surface mail do you think it'll reach you?
Old Jul 19th 2009, 6:17 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry
If I send the postcard by surface mail do you think it'll reach you?
Don't know but it's likely to get quite wet.
Old Jul 19th 2009, 6:20 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Same reason Forrest Gump is on so often. Fox 8 has bought the rights to show it so they do.

It's Sunday afternoon. Get out and do something other than watch TV.
Old Jul 19th 2009, 6:21 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Why is Jaws on telly so often in Oz?!

That's not Jaws; it's amateur footage from someone's weekend at an Australian beach!
Old Jul 19th 2009, 6:47 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Good film though. I was surprised to hear the words 'Nice hat, Harry' during the film when I saw it a few months back. Obviously the people who make that awful American cartoon programme liked the line enough to put it at the end of the show. (Don't know the name of the cartoon, just know I hate it)
Old Jul 19th 2009, 7:58 am
Tribu dei Chihuahua

squeezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud of

that is at the end of the credits on House
Old Jul 19th 2009, 8:17 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

If you ever get the chance you should watch the documentary that was made on the making of that movie. Very fascinating. Spielberg reckons that if he had done the movie the way he wanted to, it would have been crap and his career might never have got off the ground. Instead, the shooting was fraught with mechanical malfunctions which stopped him from being able to show the shark until way into the movie. He originally intended to show it right at the start which would not have given the film the same tension it did
Old Jul 19th 2009, 8:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Rainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, Dorothy - I went back to the beach and made the most of my Sunday afternoon ...
Old Jul 19th 2009, 8:50 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
If you ever get the chance you should watch the documentary that was made on the making of that movie. Very fascinating. Spielberg reckons that if he had done the movie the way he wanted to, it would have been crap and his career might never have got off the ground. Instead, the shooting was fraught with mechanical malfunctions which stopped him from being able to show the shark until way into the movie. He originally intended to show it right at the start which would not have given the film the same tension it did
You recall the line by Chief Brody (Roy Schrieder)...... "I think we'll need a bigger boat", was apparently an adlib line by Schrieder, and probably one of the best remembered lines since Clark Gable in Gone With The Wind.
Old Jul 19th 2009, 8:52 am

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

I read the book as a teenager and it scared the living s*** out me, so much that when we went to the beach, I rarely went out as far in the water as I used to.
Old Jul 19th 2009, 8:53 am
Living the dream!

kar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to all

I was thinking that myself!! I'd NEVER seen it, but have seen it 3 times since arriving in Jan!!

I thought it was meant to be a horror, it is hilarious! Seriously the sharks are SO fake, and as for the severed arm of the first victim . . .
Old Jul 19th 2009, 8:54 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Bloke
I read the book as a teenager and it scared the living s*** out me, so much that when we went to the beach, I rarely went out as far in the water as I used to.
on the flip side though there was also some awful ad-libbing in that movie too, especially from Richard Dreyfus. Although that scene where they are comparing scars is an all time classic
Old Jul 19th 2009, 8:59 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, Dorothy - I went back to the beach and made the most of my Sunday afternoon ...
Good girl. Even though it was rainy and shite here all weekend we spent the majority of it outside. Yesterday we did the paving for our driveway and today dug out and compacted the trench for a retaining wall. Looking forward to going to work tomorrow.
Old Jul 19th 2009, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
on the flip side though there was also some awful ad-libbing in that movie too, especially from Richard Dreyfus. Although that scene where they are comparing scars is an all time classic
Oddly enough, there was a very similar scar-swapping scene between Mel Gibson and Rene Russo in Letal Weapon 3.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.