Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Notice of redundancy - how much?

Notice of redundancy - how much?

Old Aug 28th 2009, 5:38 am
BE Forum Addict

jazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond repute
Default Notice of redundancy - how much?

Anybody any idea how notice of redundancy is worked out in Oz?
Or is it specific to individual employers?

I was made redundant on wednesday as was my workmates.
After speaking to one of them today he recieved 3 weeks notice of termination and my letter says i only got 2.

AND i was actually employed at the company for longer, by a month or so.

Has he got too much or have i got too little?

Jazzys
Old Aug 28th 2009, 5:40 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Notice of redundancy - how much?

Originally Posted by jazzys

After speaking to one of them today he recieved 3 weeks notice of termination and my letter says i only got 2.

Jazzys
I thought there was a ruule of thumb (not sure if it is law) that you get 2 weeks pay per full year of service.
Old Aug 28th 2009, 5:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Really sorry to hear that J.
Any prospect of another job?
Old Aug 28th 2009, 5:45 am
BE Forum Addict

jazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
I thought there was a ruule of thumb (not sure if it is law) that you get 2 weeks pay per full year of service.
By that reckoning then we should have both got 2 weeks but his letter definately says 3.

And Sal, no there isn't any sign of another job i'm afraid. The job sites are worryingly quiet

Jazzys
Old Aug 28th 2009, 5:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

By that reckoning then we should have both got 2 weeks but his letter definately says 3.

And Sal, no there isn't any sign of another job i'm afraid. The job sites are worryingly quiet

Jazzys
Oh dear, I am so sorry. It must be a big worry for you.
Have you been here 2 years yet?
Old Aug 28th 2009, 5:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by sallyclaire
Oh dear, I am so sorry. It must be a big worry for you.
Have you been here 2 years yet?
It is a big worry Sal, we'll have been here 2 years mid september.

Not sure what that will entitle us too though

Jazzys
Old Aug 28th 2009, 6:01 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Jazzys
Sorry to hear your news Jazzys. I would of thought your employment contract would be a good reference? usually the statutory terms are less than those gained by award. Most employment contracts I have seen refer to an award which you need inturn to source out particular sections for redundancy.

Could the weeks notice be seperate from redundancy payment? ie notice period could be minium of a weeks but perhaps for some administrative purpose or specific to current task being undertaken they need them to finish a week later?? We did this with a team about 2 years ago where some were on fortnightly and some 4 weekly. Within both groups a diverse length of service years.
Old Aug 28th 2009, 6:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

It is a big worry Sal, we'll have been here 2 years mid september.

Not sure what that will entitle us too though

Jazzys
Unemployment benefit! I know it's not a lot but it will help. As you are also a single parent, i don't know if you are eligible for anything else. Are you on FTB?
Old Aug 28th 2009, 6:10 am
BE Forum Addict

An employment contract, now that would be a novelty wouldn't it.

Not sure i've ever had one to be honest.
no me and the guy i was talking to both walked out the gates together and went to the nearest pub.

Thats why its puzzling me to find he had 3 weeks notice and i only had 2, bearing in mind i started before him

Jazzys
Old Aug 28th 2009, 6:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Unemployment benefit! I know it's not a lot but it will help. As you are also a single parent, i don't know if you are eligible for anything else. Are you on FTB?
Yeah sal, already get the FTB and rent assistance.

Cheers
Jazzys
Old Aug 28th 2009, 6:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Yeah sal, already get the FTB and rent assistance.

Cheers
Jazzys
Well, I see a trip to Centrelink coming your way early next week.

Hope something turns up for you. Any good contacts? can you work for yourself at all?
Old Aug 28th 2009, 6:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Well, I see a trip to Centrelink coming your way early next week.

Hope something turns up for you. Any good contacts? can you work for yourself at all?
Centrelink, oh yeah they're a bundle of fun aren't they. Had a 40 minute phone call with them yesterday, wanting to know the far end of a fart.

And if you were to sell all your furniture and belongings Mr spiers, how much do you think you would get?

He nearly died when i said 3 million and i wouldn't be able to let the yacht go cos it had sentimental value.

Jazzys
Old Aug 28th 2009, 6:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Centrelink, oh yeah they're a bundle of fun aren't they. Had a 40 minute phone call with them yesterday, wanting to know the far end of a fart.

And if you were to sell all your furniture and belongings Mr spiers, how much do you think you would get?

He nearly died when i said 3 million and i wouldn't be able to let the yacht go cos it had sentimental value.

Jazzys
Glad you still have your sense of humour, you need one when you deal with those guys!
How come they want you to sell your furniture? Do you have to be sleeping in a cardboard box before they will help you ffs!
Old Aug 28th 2009, 6:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Glad you still have your sense of humour, you need one when you deal with those guys!
How come they want you to sell your furniture? Do you have to be sleeping in a cardboard box before they will help you ffs!
more than likely sal, they asked me what car i drove and how much that was worth too. I told them "Errrrrrr its a holden" and then she asked me what model.
I said it was a "Barina", what year? "God knows" Its actually a toyota corolla.

They certainly made me feel like i would have to have NOTHING, before they considered giving me anything.

Jazzys
Old Aug 28th 2009, 6:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

My husband was made redundant a few years ago, and because he received a redundancy payment, couldn't claim unemployment for 13 weeks. We had two babies at the time and because my husband and his employer were in dispute of the payment, his cheque was held back until the dispute was settled. We lived off savings for six weeks or so until he got another job. And the unemployment benefit wouldn't have covered our rent anyway. Oh and the b*tch at Centrelink told us not to bring our children with us next time we came to visit her at her office because she couldn't think properly with them distracting her (they were both sitting quietly on our laps during the interview). I avoid Centrelink as much as a possibly can.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.