Nostalgia

Old Nov 1st 2012, 12:53 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nostalgia

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Marbles.
Now that really is nostalgia. I think I've lost mine.
Old Nov 1st 2012, 2:35 am
BE Forum Addict

sasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sherlock Holmes
Now that really is nostalgia. I think I've lost mine.
Hopscotch
Old Nov 1st 2012, 3:01 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

I remember our school playground well (circa 1982?):

Boys would pretty much all play football on the playground - with a tennis ball and piles of school bags for posts. Teams varied from as little as 5 a side to as many as 16 a side depending on who was around. Teams were picked using the time honoured "Alternate Captains Choice" method that is designed to inflict maximum humiliation on the less athletic. I was never picked first, but never last either - 'middle-table respectability'!

Girls, for some reason favoured skipping or elastic based activities which involved running in and jumping over a long-ish rope wielded by too fierce maidens on each end. This whole activity occupied a lot of space!

Unfortunately this resulted in major turf wars. Young boys running around chasing a tennis ball would push girls out the way and interrupt the hypnotic rhythms of the rope and dodging the ropes was a significant hazard and interruption to the serious business of playground football.

After some discussion about the problem with the guys I proposed an innovative idea. We would highlight the ridiculously inefficient use of space that skipping ropes represented. I had a significant rope 'structure' between 2 large oak trees in my back garden, and with a little effort I was able to untie the thinnest rope - a blue nylon thing that wouldnt look out of place towing cars. It was (actually still *is* - its still in the parents garden tied to an oak tree, fashioned into a rope swing for my nephews enjoyed) about 60ft long and quite heavy to lug around. I brought it to school one day and at break time we set about the major task: We pulled out the rope and set up our 'skipping' territory. It was hard to get the thing swinging - but we did manage to occupy pretty much a full tennis court of playground - much the the annoyance of the girls! Who could only stand and watch while we dominated the space!

I don't remember getting into any particular trouble (I hadnt broken any rules) - or any long term resolution to the fundamental 'use of space' dispute ever occurring, but it was an interesting day - if only for the fact that for one day we didnt play football and all the boys attempted skipping for a while!
Old Nov 1st 2012, 3:25 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

DIY go-carts (we called them bogies back then) - complete with pram wheels
Old Nov 1st 2012, 3:27 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

Did anyone else push their Dinky / Gorgi toys around?
Old Nov 1st 2012, 3:27 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

pitch and toss
Old Nov 1st 2012, 3:28 am
221b Baker Street

Originally Posted by paulry
pitch and toss
I beg your pardon?
Old Nov 1st 2012, 3:29 am
Banned

Rope swings, bonfires, rat-a-tat-ginger, mob, camping across the fields
Old Nov 1st 2012, 3:31 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Sherlock Holmes
I beg your pardon?
Throwing coins against the wall and the one who throws theirs closest to the wall wins them all.
Old Nov 1st 2012, 3:31 am
Banned

conkers
Old Nov 1st 2012, 3:32 am
Waiting to be a grown-up

rasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond repute

Throwing coins against the wall and the one who throws theirs closest to the wall wins them all.
That used to get so many boys into trouble at Grammar School Gambling dontcha know and that wasn't allowed
Old Nov 1st 2012, 3:34 am
221b Baker Street

Thank you - had never heard of it.

Originally Posted by rasen78
That used to get so many boys into trouble at Grammar School Gambling dontcha know and that wasn't allowed
Had never heard of it as didn't go to grammar school. (Went somewhere far better! )
Old Nov 1st 2012, 4:02 am
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute

I suspect this could date me but anyway, here goes...

Marbles.

Jacks.

Averting eyes from the flasher at the hedge.
Old Nov 1st 2012, 4:42 am
Forum Regular

Famous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by carolinephillips
but the best one was making jumps in the back garden out of dustbins and brooms, or whatever we could get our hands on, and then be horses and jump over them.
We used to do something similar, but with lower jumps and then used our space hoppers as our "horses".

Also, hopscotch, jacks, skipping, elastics......
Old Nov 1st 2012, 4:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

I was Urchfont's silver jubilee space hopper champion in 1977- won a jubilee mug!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.