Nostalgia

Old Nov 2nd 2012, 11:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nostalgia

My sister had a tin Jaguar pedal car with working headlights and windscreen wipers and a horn that worked too..... I didnt

She also had a massive rocking horse with a leather saddle and bridle....

I didnt.

Something to do with my Grandparents having shed loads of money and overlooking the fact they had TWO grandchildren and myparents not believing it was right to "redress the balance" in any way... I learned life wasn't "equal" from an early age.....

But I had jam jars with spiders in, a fishing rod, I always had a hamster... And ALWAYS a pack of playing cards....us kids used to play Napoleon solo for pennies, the only carg game I knew... .... a hand me down from older girls up the road spacehopper... A handmedown bicycle and a pogo stick that we were given that was rusted to hell and so didnt go up and down anymore ... So it was more like a pole with pedals to balance on....

When I was 7 or 8 my sister got a pony.... Whilst I had to proove I was old enough and dedicated enough to look after one myself... When I was consided responsible enough I found a broken down nag who couldnt be ridden in tack for nearly a year due to injuries/neglect and lameness... He was pure gold Danny was... He knew more than me and taught me loads... I couldnt put a saddle on him for that year, it took him that long to heal.... But by the time I could, I was more profficient in bareback riding than with stirrups.... And my Grandfather was proud of me...

When I got horses, in some ways my "childhood" ended.... Because I was always with them...

But At school we played war games.... And conkers and marbles....

We were given a Sindy Doll for christmas with a wardrobe and loads of clothes... Only being the eldest she got to choose which one of the two she had... Didnt bother me, because I didnt play with dolls anyway... Likewise one year the Grandparents brought two paintings... One of a horse, which was beautiful...we were both totally into horses And the other was of fluffy bloody kittens... They let her choose which she wanted first... So I got the kittens.. Years later I discovered my parents wer totally aware of what was happening and furious about it... But felt powerless to do anything...

I think I may have had a bit of a strange childhood in many ways....
Old Nov 3rd 2012, 4:07 am
BE Enthusiast

sammax has a brilliant futuresammax has a brilliant futuresammax has a brilliant futuresammax has a brilliant futuresammax has a brilliant futuresammax has a brilliant futuresammax has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by rasen78
MP has got me reminiscing about my playground days and the games we used to play. Favourites were

British Bulldog
Elastics (really long piece of elastic placed around ankles and a 3rd would have to do various actions - like a giant cat's cradle)
Cat's cradle
Leapfrog - how high could YOU go
I-spy - using a telescope type thing that you could see around corners with
Skipping rope - never mastered the double jump rope thingy though

In winter - making a skid patch on the snow

Your turn
Running in and skipping whilst two others turned the ends and singing:

The wind blows low, the wind blows high,
snowflakes falling from the sky,
he is handsome, she is pretty
she is like a Roman city
so and so (insert desired name) says he loves her,
how many kisses did he give her?

And then you'd start counting your jumps which equated to kisses...
Old Nov 3rd 2012, 4:10 am
BE Enthusiast

sammax has a brilliant futuresammax has a brilliant futuresammax has a brilliant futuresammax has a brilliant futuresammax has a brilliant futuresammax has a brilliant futuresammax has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by rasen78
MP has got me reminiscing about my playground days and the games we used to play. Favourites were

British Bulldog
Elastics (really long piece of elastic placed around ankles and a 3rd would have to do various actions - like a giant cat's cradle)
Cat's cradle
Leapfrog - how high could YOU go
I-spy - using a telescope type thing that you could see around corners with
Skipping rope - never mastered the double jump rope thingy though

In winter - making a skid patch on the snow

Your turn
Oh yes, and Doctors and Nurses
Old Nov 3rd 2012, 8:40 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

trudging through the rain to school in a periscope-style blue parker that is weighted down with several litres of accumulated rainwater.
Old Nov 3rd 2012, 9:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

My brother had one of those tin Jaguars.
My dad had one in real life when he retired (about 6th hand). When my bro was little, it was as close as dad could get to having a real jag!
Old Nov 3rd 2012, 1:32 pm
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute

I got a big walky talky doll one Christmas... and a golliwog.

Another year I got a dalek dress up costume.

(I was still bloody terrified of daleks though.)
Old Nov 3rd 2012, 1:34 pm
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
We called the big ones "dobbers"
I thought the big marbles were "gobs".

I'm sure we had "gobs" and "prits".

Wtf.
Old Nov 3rd 2012, 2:11 pm
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry
trudging through the rain to school in a periscope-style blue parker that is weighted down with several litres of accumulated rainwater.
Or worse still - a semi- transparent, grey, plastic mac. Kept you dry but a strange smell! Pac-a-mac I think they were called. Now they seem to be a bit more snazzy
Old Nov 3rd 2012, 4:12 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sherlock Holmes
Or worse still - a semi- transparent, grey, plastic mac. Kept you dry but a strange smell! Pac-a-mac I think they were called. Now they seem to be a bit more snazzy
That might have been before my time. The ones that I remember were the nylon ones with a pouch at the front in which you could pack them. I think they were called cagoules. A flaw with those was they weren't much good at keeping the rain out.
Old Nov 3rd 2012, 7:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

That might have been before my time. The ones that I remember were the nylon ones with a pouch at the front in which you could pack them. I think they were called cagoules. A flaw with those was they weren't much good at keeping the rain out.
I've still got one- the problem was that the rain all ran down your legs, and got in through the seams.
Old Nov 3rd 2012, 10:35 pm
Banned

Snowboarding on my nans turkey tin, it went like a rocket!
Old Nov 4th 2012, 1:35 am
Feeble Minded

SillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond repute

That reminds me of one of mine and my brothers' heinous crimes against humanity .... My older brothers were the brains behind the operation, I just happened to be there too but copped an equal share of the blame ... My Nana had an old mangle which my brothers in their infinite wisdom realised looked a bit like a printing press, so we soaked newspapers and ran it through the mangle to get an imprint of the print on the rollers so we could then run plain paper through to get our own printing - why? I have no idea! Seemed like a great idea at the time, unfortunately my Nana who was small but fearsome didn't agree! ... she didn't discover it til after we'd gone home which I think saved our lives as we were threatened with all sorts! Apparently it took ages to get the print off the rollers before she could use it to mangle her sheets! This was around 1970 ish so who would guess she still used it!
Old Nov 4th 2012, 6:20 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Goodness, you were posh - we used to use those big thick bin bags (not the crappy thin ones you get nowadays, proper thick ones)
Old Nov 4th 2012, 6:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by SillyOldBag
That reminds me of one of mine and my brothers' heinous crimes against humanity .... My older brothers were the brains behind the operation, I just happened to be there too but copped an equal share of the blame ... My Nana had an old mangle which my brothers in their infinite wisdom realised looked a bit like a printing press, so we soaked newspapers and ran it through the mangle to get an imprint of the print on the rollers so we could then run plain paper through to get our own printing - why? I have no idea! Seemed like a great idea at the time, unfortunately my Nana who was small but fearsome didn't agree! ... she didn't discover it til after we'd gone home which I think saved our lives as we were threatened with all sorts! Apparently it took ages to get the print off the rollers before she could use it to mangle her sheets! This was around 1970 ish so who would guess she still used it!
I remember my nanna's old washing machine- it was a top loader with a mangle attachment- only one she'd ever had, and was still using it many years after she bought it, up until about 1974 when my grandad died. She then got a new one- guess the old guy was a bit mean with the pennies!!
Old Nov 5th 2012, 7:21 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Dreamy
Goodness, you were posh - we used to use those big thick bin bags (not the crappy thin ones you get nowadays, proper thick ones)
I know the ones - We used to use those too (they were fertiliser bags I think) - they were great!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.