Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

No wonder dentists wear masks

No wonder dentists wear masks

Old Sep 9th 2008, 3:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

harveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: No wonder dentists wear masks

I went to the dentist today, Check up, clean and polish, a inlay seal to the 1mm receeding root on 3 teeth. Cost nothing as covered by medibank private.
We all get 2 clean polish and check ups per year. Had a filling replaced last year and she did not charge me for it.
We definatly get our moneys worth as 3 out of 4 wear glasses, they have new ones every year gap approx $150 each, daughter has brace and i have to cover most of that but got $1800.00 back + 20% tax back on out of pocket medical expense which covers orthodontic work so not that bad.

Di
Old Sep 9th 2008, 3:33 pm
is happy to be here :)

Tiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by harveyhare
I went to the dentist today, Check up, clean and polish, a inlay seal to the 1mm receeding root on 3 teeth. Cost nothing as covered by medibank private.
We all get 2 clean polish and check ups per year. Had a filling replaced last year and she did not charge me for it.
We definatly get our moneys worth as 3 out of 4 wear glasses, they have new ones every year gap approx $150 each, daughter has brace and i have to cover most of that but got $1800.00 back + 20% tax back on out of pocket medical expense which covers orthodontic work so not that bad.

Di
Think I've learnt my lesson good 'n' proper today, and will be looking into health insurance again (already looked into it twice )

....third time lucky
Old Sep 10th 2008, 8:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Evelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by sasbear
Just got back from a visit to the prosthodontist (sp) and have been prescribed 3 new crowns to replace my older ones. The cost?

1st one $2300
2nd one $2000
3rd one $1750

Think I need a 2nd mortgage - and all I can claim from my health fund is the diagnostics, xrays and smalll charges..bugger bugger bugger
you get 20% of medicals above $1500 back from the tax man.
Old May 18th 2009, 3:21 pm
Forum Regular

Uuuh Patsy is a jewel in the roughUuuh Patsy is a jewel in the roughUuuh Patsy is a jewel in the roughUuuh Patsy is a jewel in the roughUuuh Patsy is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Tiawamutu
Think I've learnt my lesson good 'n' proper today, and will be looking into health insurance again (already looked into it twice )

....third time lucky
Just wondering if you got the Dental Insurance in the end. My head is spinning as whether or not I should get it and with who. And its so confusing trying to figure out what they will pay.. Cheers
Old May 18th 2009, 6:44 pm
Capt Hilts

coolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sasbear
Just got back from a visit to the prosthodontist (sp) and have been prescribed 3 new crowns to replace my older ones. The cost?

1st one $2300
2nd one $2000
3rd one $1750

Think I need a 2nd mortgage - and all I can claim from my health fund is the diagnostics, xrays and smalll charges..bugger bugger bugger
OMG that's a monster bill, hope all goes well.

Take care,
Cooler
Old May 18th 2009, 10:04 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tiawamutu
Your so lucky! I went today to get a filling replaced and it cost me $525!

I nearly fainted when she told me the cost. The dentist hadn't even cleaned my teeth or checked the other teeth, just one measly film

She has given me an estimate for a check up, clean, x-rays and a splint (as I grind my teeth sometimes when asleep) and this is $800!!

I don't think I will bother with the splint, as I have managed without it for 2 years. I'll just have the check up and clean.

Why are dentists so expensive in Oz. The amazing thing is, they don't think anything of charging people all this money. It's normal for them.
Had a filling replaced ,other day $125 got $ 55 back off mutual.......Dont go to inner city Dentists. I always go country..........mm
Old May 19th 2009, 3:53 am
BE Forum Addict

sasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mr mover
Had a filling replaced ,other day $125 got $ 55 back off mutual.......Dont go to inner city Dentists. I always go country..........mm
yup - and now with me hopefully moving country - that will be a lot easier
Old May 19th 2009, 4:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Sammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

I'm just wondering what's going on here, we have always had regular dental care in the UK but since being here have been told our fillings are rubbish and my two crowns have been badly done, in my dentist's opinion all of our UK work is sub standard

If this is true, then we have been ripped off for years in the UK or as I suspect, the Oz dentists are now ripping us off.

We have private cover and this pays for free check ups and clean twice a year (and the clean I had from my dentist here was an absolute joke, I used to have a really good session from the hygienist in UK) for all four of us but above that they don't seem to pay much towards the costs.

Sam
Old May 19th 2009, 6:40 am
Forum Regular

Uuuh Patsy is a jewel in the roughUuuh Patsy is a jewel in the roughUuuh Patsy is a jewel in the roughUuuh Patsy is a jewel in the roughUuuh Patsy is a jewel in the rough

I'm really not looking forward to my first Aussie trip to the Dentist...
Old May 19th 2009, 9:07 am
Just Joined

IRISH-EYES is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all i'm over in Thailand at the moment and got all teeth cleaned and five filled and much more for just 25 thousand bath and very good work, now i can smile again LOL, and they dont try to rob you.
Old May 19th 2009, 9:36 am
BE Enthusiast

aasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud of

2 years ago had tooth abcess,had antibiotics,tooth removed(top front) removable plate with 1 tooth.Quote was $2,189. Or over $5,000 for root canal. When i went to pay after my appointment they wanted another $400 wtf.Refused to pay the remainder,was hounded for 6 months but they eventually' let me off'!!!! Got a quote for 6 top front teeth and 6 bottom teeth on bridges wait for it $24,000. Would need to sell house for these prices,hubby said he would divorce me and i could pay it out of my share of house proceeds

Can have the same thing done in Budapest staying in spa resort for 1 week,flights and car trip to dentist for 3,500 poundsmight go for a holiday and get it done when we go back to Scotland to live.Oh recons he should still go with plan A ,divorce
Old May 19th 2009, 11:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Check out this new scheme - seems a lot cheaper than the prices a lot of you are being quoted: http://www.nobledentist.com.au
Old May 19th 2009, 11:25 am
Capt Hilts

coolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond repute

This thread made me look look at cosmetic dentistry for my two front teeth as I unwisley cleaned them with Bicarbonate of soda after reading about it in a paper I am considering getting veneers or something similar in the UK as they will help them last - worry about new ones in Aus though

Got a reply from a top Manchester Dentist for a free consultation so may give that a go.

Cooler
Old May 19th 2009, 11:33 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by coolerkingcooler
This thread made me look look at cosmetic dentistry for my two front teeth as I unwisley cleaned them with Bicarbonate of soda after reading about it in a paper I am considering getting veneers or something similar in the UK as they will help them last - worry about new ones in Aus though

Got a reply from a top Manchester Dentist for a free consultation so may give that a go.

Cooler
You're in Manchester? Look up Dr CJ Scully - I used to drive all the way from Leeds to Stockport to see him for cosmetic work. (I think he also has a surgery in Manchester.) He did me some excellent veneers in the early nineties that lasted well until I decided to have most of my mouth done with crowns a couple of years back.

(I don't know what you think's wrong with bicarb? You can get bicarb toothpaste. Better for you than that fluoride rubbish. )
Old May 19th 2009, 11:37 am
Capt Hilts

Originally Posted by Seasider
You're in Manchester? Look up Dr CJ Scully - I used to drive all the way from Leeds to Stockport to see him for cosmetic work. (I think he also has a surgery in Manchester.) He did me some excellent veneers in the early nineties that lasted well until I decided to have most of my mouth done with crowns a couple of years back.

(I don't know what you think's wrong with bicarb? You can get bicarb toothpaste. Better for you than that fluoride rubbish. )
A bit zealous with the brushing Blimey, the Stockport Surgery is 15mins from where I live! I will give them a ring.

Thanks Seasider,
Cooler

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.