Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

No wonder dentists wear masks

No wonder dentists wear masks

Old Feb 20th 2008, 10:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

sasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy No wonder dentists wear masks

Just got back from a visit to the prosthodontist (sp) and have been prescribed 3 new crowns to replace my older ones. The cost?

1st one $2300
2nd one $2000
3rd one $1750

Think I need a 2nd mortgage - and all I can claim from my health fund is the diagnostics, xrays and smalll charges..bugger bugger bugger
Old Feb 20th 2008, 10:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

midgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: No wonder dentists wear masks

Same here in Perth. My OH lost a filling - went to have a temp one fitted and was told all his UK dental work was a mess and he would need it all redoing at a cost of over $5000

Old Feb 20th 2008, 10:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

It's a joke isnt it?

My OH has a calcium deficiency and his teeth literally crumble. He went for a check up last year and came back with a quote for over $8,000 for a load of work.
Old Feb 20th 2008, 10:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by midgetjan
Same here in Perth. My OH lost a filling - went to have a temp one fitted and was told all his UK dental work was a mess and he would need it all redoing at a cost of over $5000

I reckon it's a con.... when we looked at OHs quote a lot of the work was on teeth that really needed pulling out not patching up!
Old Feb 20th 2008, 11:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

sasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bridie
I reckon it's a con.... when we looked at OHs quote a lot of the work was on teeth that really needed pulling out not patching up!
Well to be honest the first one needs doing in the next 6 months - the 2nd one can wait a year - and the 3rd - well it is right at the back on the bottom - so I am tempted to wait and see how long it lasts - and maybe lose it or wait till I can afford it...
Old Feb 20th 2008, 11:05 pm
Emigrated 24/11/07

jellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by sasbear
Well to be honest the first one needs doing in the next 6 months - the 2nd one can wait a year - and the 3rd - well it is right at the back on the bottom - so I am tempted to wait and see how long it lasts - and maybe lose it or wait till I can afford it...
OH lost a filling last week and had it replaced yesterday - they drilled it a bit and did some cleaning - $110 all in, and as yet we do NOT have any insurance as we have yet to decide on what is best course of action to supplement medicare! So many scare stories on what's NOT covered I'm wondering iif its worth getting anything other than ambo cover?
Old Feb 20th 2008, 11:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jellibaby
OH lost a filling last week and had it replaced yesterday - they drilled it a bit and did some cleaning - $110 all in, and as yet we do NOT have any insurance as we have yet to decide on what is best course of action to supplement medicare! So many scare stories on what's NOT covered I'm wondering iif its worth getting anything other than ambo cover?
I have NRMA extra select - family cover 2 adults and 2 children (although not really children - 17 and 20) cost approx $79 per quarter - this includes ambulance cover (which is the main thing I took it out for) and also basic dental costs ( a little like the Westfield scheme back in the UK)
Old Feb 20th 2008, 11:15 pm
Jan4kids

Jan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy Re: No wonder dentists wear masks

It is a worry isn't it? No wonder there are some truly awful looking/missing teeth around I myself have been waiting for a filling and full scale and polish for over 6 months now ........ unfortunately food and mortgage payments are more important. I wouldn't be surprised if it needs pulling by the time I get it looked at again

We are saving up for private cover.....and will be reading the smallprint carefully!

Any recommendations please? for a family of 6 (4 kids 2 adults) with notoriously bad eyesight and teeth?!!

Good Luck with it all Sas Bear......
Old Feb 20th 2008, 11:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Jan3kids
It is a worry isn't it? No wonder there are some truly awful looking/missing teeth around I myself have been waiting for a filling and full scale and polish for over 6 months now ........ unfortunately food and mortgage payments are more important. I wouldn't be surprised if it needs pulling by the time I get it looked at again

We are saving up for private cover.....and will be reading the smallprint carefully!

Any recommendations please? for a family of 6 (4 kids 2 adults) with notoriously bad eyesight and teeth?!!

Thanks - take a look at NRMA extra select - in my above post - I refuse to sell my body to pay for medical insurance - at least that is available on medicare (most of it) but dental cover is a must here
Old Feb 20th 2008, 11:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

chris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jan3kids

Hi Jan,

When in Adelaide we were with mutual community, a friend told us just go for general extra, they had all sort of cover for general extra, we went for the top one which included orthodontist, we paid around $50 a month for family 5, but we had to changed it when we came to Qld, we are with HBA now its a bit more expensive then in SA, I'm extremely happy with them, I get back about 70% of my dental care back from them.
Now my daughter needs to have braces, so glad I have the cover now.
Old Feb 20th 2008, 11:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

chris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sasbear
Just got back from a visit to the prosthodontist (sp) and have been prescribed 3 new crowns to replace my older ones. The cost?

1st one $2300
2nd one $2000
3rd one $1750

Think I need a 2nd mortgage - and all I can claim from my health fund is the diagnostics, xrays and smalll charges..bugger bugger bugger

Thats quite high, why dont you shop around, I was quoted $1200 for back crown recently in the GC & I thought he wanted too much.
Old Feb 21st 2008, 12:23 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Just as in the UK, people are flying to other countries to get dental treatment. Companies such as this one even arrange flights and hotel accomodation.

Worth considering, since you get a holiday into the bargain.

Good news story about it here.

Last edited by Hutch; Feb 21st 2008 at 12:26 am.
Old Feb 21st 2008, 12:26 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Makes me wonder if OZ is a nation of manky teeth, not being able to afford these robbing swines.
Old Feb 21st 2008, 2:41 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

My dentist told me a lot of people are coming to Singapore or Thailand for major work, just as they do for cosmetic surgery.

My 16 crowns cost me about A$6k here. Would be cheaper still in Thailand, I'm sure.

Really might be worth a trip.
Old Feb 21st 2008, 3:22 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Absolute greed - it makes me so cross.

Ii've decided that I'm having my problem tooth out when the pain becomes unbearable. $2000 for root canal and something putting in. And no guarantee that it won't need doing again.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.