Nits and nasties

Old Jul 19th 2008, 3:39 am
BE Enthusiast

kiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of light
Default Nits and nasties

I suppose I shouldn't complain as we haven't had them for almost a year, but when my daughter gets headlice she ends up with hundreds of eggs, whereas the boys only seem to get the lice. They are easily killed and the stuff I use claims to kill the eggs as well, but has anyone found an easy way to get the eggs off the hair shaft? They slide right through a nit comb. I've tried a vinegar rinse which someone told me unsticks them from the hair, but it didn't work. They look awful and the hairdresser won't give her a much needed haircut until they're gone. I've just spent about and hour sliding them off with my fingernails and there's still about as many to go.

Also, I noticed when we were in Oz last month that my favourite solution Derbac doesn't seem to be on the shelves, so what do you find the best product for nits and nasties?
Old Jul 19th 2008, 4:00 am
BE Enthusiast

homewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud of
Default Re: Nits and nasties

the wet combing with conditioner is about the best for getting rid of dead eggs... Debac and fullmarks all work to kill them but i know what you mean about the dead eggs!

Also if you dont want to use the chemical stuff olive oil works but you must soak the hair in it for around 4 hours - you can see the lice drowning and trying to escape - it kills the eggs too.

But wet combing is all i can think of to get rid of the eggs and sspending a couple of hours just pulling them out.
Old Jul 19th 2008, 4:09 am
...feeling hot hot hot!!!

wannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud of

I bought a Nitty Gritty comb with me from the UK, it gets all the eggs out better than anything I have ever used. Luckily have not had a problem with nits here but in the uk they had them constantly. Don't know if this is available in oz but I notice they will ship overseas....well worth the money!!
Old Jul 19th 2008, 4:37 am
BE Enthusiast

kiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for that. I thought wet combing with conditioner only got the lice out. I'll give it a shot tonight.
I wonder how a nitty gritty comb differs from others as they just slip through my nit comb.
Old Jul 19th 2008, 5:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kiwinow
Thanks for that. I thought wet combing with conditioner only got the lice out. I'll give it a shot tonight.
I wonder how a nitty gritty comb differs from others as they just slip through my nit comb.
Buy one of the metal lice combs with the little grooves in the teeth (actually squishes and kills anything as it comes out and the teeth don't bend and break). Comb conditioner through hair for about half an hour over five nights. Leave for three or four days and then do it again. Every weekend, sit your kids in the bath and even if they don't have anything and run the nit comb and conditioner through their hair. That way if there is anything there, you'll catch it before it becomes an infestation.
Old Jul 19th 2008, 7:01 am
...feeling hot hot hot!!!

wannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud of

It's not just a normal comb it has a special design see HERE in the picture.
Old Jul 19th 2008, 7:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Mumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud of

I suppose I shouldn't complain as we haven't had them for almost a year, but when my daughter gets headlice she ends up with hundreds of eggs, whereas the boys only seem to get the lice. They are easily killed and the stuff I use claims to kill the eggs as well, but has anyone found an easy way to get the eggs off the hair shaft? They slide right through a nit comb. I've tried a vinegar rinse which someone told me unsticks them from the hair, but it didn't work. They look awful and the hairdresser won't give her a much needed haircut until they're gone. I've just spent about and hour sliding them off with my fingernails and there's still about as many to go.

Also, I noticed when we were in Oz last month that my favourite solution Derbac doesn't seem to be on the shelves, so what do you find the best product for nits and nasties?
i have always found shampoo and conditioner with tea tree oil helps get them out with a nit comb and it keeps them at bay aswell

hope this helps

Ann
Old Jul 19th 2008, 7:20 am
Pass The Post

Location: Ping Ponged York via Melbourne and now pinged to Ferny Hills, Brisbane
joh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by wannabauzzienurse
I bought a Nitty Gritty comb with me from the UK, it gets all the eggs out better than anything I have ever used. Luckily have not had a problem with nits here but in the uk they had them constantly. Don't know if this is available in oz but I notice they will ship overseas....well worth the money!!
I second this. My 2 yr old had a constant infestation that I couldnt get rid of at the beginning of the year and I resorted to everything. In the end the Nitty Gritty as recommended on Richard and Judy was my last option. It works a treat. It has grooves in the teeth and they seem to grab the eggs and take them right out along with the lice. I would recommend the £10 i paid at boots for it. She has been nit free for 6 months now!!! Thank goodness

Jo
Old Jul 19th 2008, 11:32 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

I always remember a vet I worked for, had tried every nit shampoo going, in the end he put Frontline flea spray on his daughters hair - its alcohol based I think - fipronil?

Anyway, he said they all fell off and he successfully got rid of them
Old Jul 19th 2008, 12:52 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
I always remember a vet I worked for, had tried every nit shampoo going, in the end he put Frontline flea spray on his daughters hair - its alcohol based I think - fipronil?

Anyway, he said they all fell off and he successfully got rid of them
i wouldnt put frontline on me dog never mind my daughter lol
Old Jul 19th 2008, 1:15 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by biggy
i wouldnt put frontline on me dog never mind my daughter lol
I dont like Frontline spot on but we used the spray in the vets, never had any trouble with it.

I use Revolution now for Gordon, I dont like flea sprays that claim to worm as well, but its the only heartworm stuff I can find here.
Old Jul 19th 2008, 1:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

galba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud of

I got my nitty gritty comb sent from UK using ebay.

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/items/__nitty...br=1&save=Save

I think postage was around £3.00. Well worth it - we haven't had nits since we arrived in Oz although we get a fair few letters from the school that they are going around!

Galba
Old Jul 19th 2008, 1:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by galba
I got my nitty gritty comb sent from UK using ebay.

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/items/__nitty...br=1&save=Save

I think postage was around £3.00. Well worth it - we haven't had nits since we arrived in Oz although we get a fair few letters from the school that they are going around!

Galba
You can get the same combs at australian pharmacies - bought mine in Brisbane a couple of years ago at the local chemist for about $15.
Old Jul 19th 2008, 10:05 pm
Just Joined

Majestik is an unknown quantity at this point

Got my advice for my daughter from my cousin (who is a hair dresser). He advised i wash her hair in normal washing up liquid (Twice) then use tea tree oil. Wash that out (with normal tea tree shampoo) then gunk up her hair with loads of conditioner. Apparently the washing up liquid destroys the outer coating of the hair and all the lice cannot grip. Use loads of conditioner afterwards to protect the hair and help the natural coating grow back. Worked for my daughter she now has got beautiful hair and has never had lice since (so far). That was 5 years ago. Hope this helps.