Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Costs of extending house - help please!! :)

Costs of extending house - help please!! :)

Old Jul 19th 2008, 12:04 pm
On the Dark Side :-)

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Costs of extending house - help please!! :)

Ok, now I know this is a bit of a 'how long is a piece of string' kinda question...but I'll ask it anyway!

We've found a house that we're considering putting an offer in on - it needs work but structurely its ok. Ideally we'd like to be able to extend it to the back - this would just make the bathroom larger, move the laundry outside and give us an office. Basically we'll be extending out about 10ft on half the width of the house, the other half will be a large decked entertaining area - god this is hard to expain!

Anyway....has anyone done anything similar, or are there any builders on here who could maybe give us a very very rough idea of the costs. I mean are we talking $20k, or $100k?? (thats how little I know!!!haha)

TIA

Rach xxxx

Last edited by Mrs Jackaroo; Jul 19th 2008 at 12:41 pm.
Old Jul 19th 2008, 12:42 pm

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Costs of extending house - help please!! :)

It might make it easier if you can see the house

Old Jul 19th 2008, 1:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

How long is a piece of string.

Try here for starters http://www.archicentre.com.au/html/downloads.html

WW
Old Jul 19th 2008, 9:27 pm

Thanks for that - I posted on a Home Improvement Forum and they came back with the same line

I'll check it out!
Old Jul 19th 2008, 9:52 pm

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mrs Jackaroo
Ok, now I know this is a bit of a 'how long is a piece of string' kinda question...but I'll ask it anyway!

We've found a house that we're considering putting an offer in on - it needs work but structurely its ok. Ideally we'd like to be able to extend it to the back - this would just make the bathroom larger, move the laundry outside and give us an office. Basically we'll be extending out about 10ft on half the width of the house, the other half will be a large decked entertaining area - god this is hard to expain!

Anyway....has anyone done anything similar, or are there any builders on here who could maybe give us a very very rough idea of the costs. I mean are we talking $20k, or $100k?? (thats how little I know!!!haha)

TIA

Rach xxxx
Brick foundation with timber frame and cladded I would say around $70000 or so to get someone to do it.
Old Jul 19th 2008, 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by Siren & Brian
Brick foundation with timber frame and cladded I would say around $70000 or so to get someone to do it.
Thanks for that A lot of money but I think it'd be worth it. It'd make it a lovely house plus it would add about $90 to the value so its all good