Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

News today - Driving test now required for all new immigrants

News today - Driving test now required for all new immigrants

Old Apr 4th 2011, 5:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: News today - Driving test now required for all new immigrants

Originally Posted by bcworld
But that rule also stands in the UK.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAn...code/DG_069858

•turning at road junctions; give way to pedestrians who are already crossing the road into which you are turning

...so if people are following the UK rules they should be sweet in that case!

I've actually found it's 'the locals' who are unaware of that rule. Pointed it out to my ex once who had just blasted the horn at some poor pedestrian who happened to be on the road. Didn't believe me, neither did some others.

When people give their negative observations of drivers I don't think they're complaining about people yielding to pedestrians...they're talking about tailgating, purposely closing gaps to prevent other cars changing lanes and general aggression. The middle one of those is something I really feel is a local trait, I can't explain it and I'm sure it's not due to some local rule I'm not aware of...I hope not anyway!
The rule slightly different here. You must give way to pedestrians even if they are waiting to cross the road i.e. not actually on the road yet.

Do the mock theory test online, there are a few questions on it.
Old Apr 4th 2011, 6:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

It's not against the rules of the the road, but it's the ****wits who can't/won't/don't keep up with the traffic in rush hour that boil my piss. Generally the same ones who can't move away from a set of traffic lights in good time.
Old Apr 4th 2011, 6:12 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spartacus
It's not against the rules of the the road, but it's the ****wits who can't/won't/don't keep up with the traffic in rush hour that boil my piss. Generally the same ones who can't move away from a set of traffic lights in good time.
That happens a lot here
Old Apr 4th 2011, 6:28 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alfresco
The rule slightly different here. You must give way to pedestrians even if they are waiting to cross the road i.e. not actually on the road yet.
Is that the Qld rule? One thing I was immediately aware of when I came to Melbourne was that people actually did do that...I was quite surprised as I wasn't used to seeing it Brisbane!
Old Apr 4th 2011, 6:54 am
Rhino with a big horn!

Rambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond repute

But that rule also stands in the UK.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAn...code/DG_069858

•turning at road junctions; give way to pedestrians who are already crossing the road into which you are turning

...so if people are following the UK rules they should be sweet in that case!

I've actually found it's 'the locals' who are unaware of that rule. Pointed it out to my ex once who had just blasted the horn at some poor pedestrian who happened to be on the road. Didn't believe me, neither did some others.

When people give their negative observations of drivers I don't think they're complaining about people yielding to pedestrians...they're talking about tailgating, purposely closing gaps to prevent other cars changing lanes and general aggression. The middle one of those is something I really feel is a local trait, I can't explain it and I'm sure it's not due to some local rule I'm not aware of...I hope not anyway!
In Aus they have right of way even if they are not already crossing. So there is a difference. However, as a pedestrian I wouldn't bet my life on the car driver knowing

I was highlighting that there are differences in the rules between here and UK. Fine you don't need to sit a test to learn the differences but from some of the complaints on here some people have obviously no idea of the local differences. Complaints about people overtaking on the left or why people don't change lanes to let people out of side roads all come down to different rules.

The only gripes I have about driving here are tailgating and the wobbling in lanes. Counter to that the indication is better especially on roundabouts. I don't get many problems with people closing out lane changes. I certainly experienced that more in UK than here.
Old Apr 4th 2011, 6:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Is that the Qld rule? One thing I was immediately aware of when I came to Melbourne was that people actually did do that...I was quite surprised as I wasn't used to seeing it Brisbane!
Yep. Countrywide I believe. I'll get one of my kids to test it tomorrow and see if it works here.

Originally Posted by Rambi
In Aus they have right of way even if they are not already crossing. So there is a difference. However, as a pedestrian I wouldn't bet my life on the car driver knowing

I was highlighting that there are differences in the rules between here and UK. Fine you don't need to sit a test to learn the differences but from some of the complaints on here some people have obviously no idea of the local differences. Complaints about people overtaking on the left or why people don't change lanes to let people out of side roads all come down to different rules.

The only gripes I have about driving here are tailgating and the wobbling in lanes. Counter to that the indication is better especially on roundabouts. I don't get many problems with people closing out lane changes. I certainly experienced that more in UK than here.
I agree with most of this.

What do you mean by 'wobbling in lanes'?

Last edited by Alfresco; Apr 4th 2011 at 7:01 am.
Old Apr 4th 2011, 7:06 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

As bcworld will know, in Brisbane you don't even bet on the driver stopping, never mind knowing there is a rule about it. Crossing the road here is largely a case of taking your life in your hands and hoping for the best, regardless of what the lights say.
Old Apr 4th 2011, 7:23 am
Rhino with a big horn!

Rambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
As bcworld will know, in Brisbane you don't even bet on the driver stopping, never mind knowing there is a rule about it. Crossing the road here is largely a case of taking your life in your hands and hoping for the best, regardless of what the lights say.
It's fair to say that there are definite style differences between the states (and sometimes within a state).
Old Apr 4th 2011, 7:30 am
Rhino with a big horn!

Yep. Countrywide I believe. I'll get one of my kids to test it tomorrow and see if it works here.

I agree with most of this.

What do you mean by 'wobbling in lanes'?
I think it's a Victorian habit. They weave in the lanes as they drive along. Not really a problem on multi-lane roads but when they're crossing the white line coming toward you on a highway you start to wonder if they're going to curve back.
Old Apr 4th 2011, 7:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I think it's a Victorian habit. They weave in the lanes as they drive along. Not really a problem on multi-lane roads but when they're crossing the white line coming toward you on a highway you start to wonder if they're going to curve back.
That would be scary. Haven't noticed it here though. Lane discipline seems to be ok.
Old Apr 4th 2011, 8:28 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

That would be scary. Haven't noticed it here though. Lane discipline seems to be ok.
It happens a lot on the highway. We had some loon in a small Fiat hurtling from lane to lane at top speed on the 5 lane section at the weekend. What really annoys me is that I leave a safe braking distance between me & the car in front & three ****wit Commodores fill it, usually bearing "P" plates!!!
Old Apr 4th 2011, 8:32 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cresta57
It happens a lot on the highway. We had some loon in a small Fiat hurtling from lane to lane at top speed on the 5 lane section at the weekend. What really annoys me is that I leave a safe braking distance between me & the car in front & three ****wit Commodores fill it, usually bearing "P" plates!!!
It's ALWAYS the Commodores!
Old Apr 4th 2011, 8:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by cresta57

Yep, I've noticed red P platers mostly have bad judgement (or no consideration) for safe travelling distance. They'll learn though, the easy or hard way. Maybe it's a good warning for us that they do display P plates.

Had one shoot across me on a roundabout the other day.
Old Apr 4th 2011, 9:14 pm
Rhino with a big horn!

Yep, I've noticed red P platers mostly have bad judgement (or no consideration) for safe travelling distance. They'll learn though, the easy or hard way. Maybe it's a good warning for us that they do display P plates.

Had one shoot across me on a roundabout the other day.
It's always worth looking out for P-platers. Especially the women

They've not had the car long enough to get fat.
Old Apr 4th 2011, 9:17 pm
Rhino with a big horn!

Originally Posted by paulry
Hate to disagree with you but I've found the middle one to be very London as well.
I used to find this in London as well. Using an arm to indicate (as well as the indicator) was a good trick. Not sure whether it used to confuse people or just get me noticed but it was nearly 100% at getting them to back off and leave a gap.

Last edited by Rambi; Apr 4th 2011 at 9:29 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.