Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

News today - Driving test now required for all new immigrants

News today - Driving test now required for all new immigrants

Old Apr 4th 2011, 12:32 am
Rhino with a big horn!

Rambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: News today - Driving test now required for all new immigrants

Originally Posted by Sally Simpson
I have a QLD licence & no, I didn't have to do any kind of test. I have done the practice theory test online though & failed!
That supports the pattern I've detected.

Those that got their licence off the back of a cornflake packet (i.e. straight swap) are those most likely to complain about Aussie driving standards.
Old Apr 4th 2011, 12:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alfresco

I'll stay away from NEQ then.
It was all the questions on who has right of way that did it. I'm just too polite!

Originally Posted by Rambi
What pattern is that then?
Old Apr 4th 2011, 1:04 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Those that got their licence off the back of a cornflake packet (i.e. straight swap) are those most likely to complain about Aussie driving standards.
How did you get your licence?
Old Apr 4th 2011, 1:06 am
Rhino with a big horn!

Rambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry
How did you get your licence?
I sat a test. When I passed they exchanged my existing licence.
Old Apr 4th 2011, 1:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

I sat a test to get my UK driving licence, why would I need to do another one here?

Where did you learn to drive originally? If you were required to sit another test to be licensed here, then obviously Australia does not consider the standard to be adequate where you come from.

I don't just complain about Aussie drivers anyway, I would complain about all people who drive like idiots, especially in the wet!
Old Apr 4th 2011, 1:19 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

I sat a test. When I passed they exchanged my existing licence.
Now I understand why it's a bit of an ongoing issue for you. In which country did you originally pass your test?
Old Apr 4th 2011, 1:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Now I understand why it's a bit of an ongoing issue for you. In which country did you originally pass your test?
bump
Old Apr 4th 2011, 2:15 am
Rhino with a big horn!

UK (apparently the standard is really crap there ). Not sure what the "ongoing issue" is?

I get the impression that I'm causing some irritation with this observation. It's just an observation. When they changed from a test to a straight swap I thought there would be quite a few people driving around who didn't know the local rules. And it has panned out that way.

The rules are not that different to the UK but there are some differences. How many here know that if you are pulling out of a T-junction you're supposed to give way to a pedestrian crossing the main road? Overtaking on the left. I hear people complain about that one on a frequent basis. It's allowed in the rules under a defined set of conditions. Not just when traffic is "queuing".

Last edited by Rambi; Apr 4th 2011 at 2:23 am.
Old Apr 4th 2011, 2:31 am
Banned

UK (apparently the standard is really crap there ). Not sure what the "ongoing issue" is?

I get the impression that I'm causing some irritation with this observation. It's just an observation. When they changed from a test to a straight swap I thought there would be quite a few people driving around who didn't know the local rules. And it has panned out that way.

The rules are not that different to the UK but there are some differences. How many here know that if you are pulling out of a T-junction you're supposed to give way to a pedestrian crossing the main road? Overtaking on the left. I hear people complain about that one on a frequent basis. It's allowed in the rules under a defined set of conditions. Not just when traffic is "queuing".
No your irritation has been noticed - that's all. How long did it take you to pass your Aussie test?
Old Apr 4th 2011, 2:39 am
Rhino with a big horn!

No your irritation has been noticed - that's all. How long did it take you to pass your Aussie test?
No irritation on my part. Just funny seeing people complaining when they're not au fait with the local rules.

About 30 mins.
Old Apr 4th 2011, 2:45 am
Banned

No irritation on my part. Just funny seeing people complaining when they're not au fait with the local rules.

About 30 mins.
Perhaps a complementary rules of the road book would be a good accompaniment to the straight licence swap? I myself have read through the book but only because eldest has it in preparation for his road ready test.
Old Apr 4th 2011, 2:49 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

About 30 mins.
When we arrived testing was still mandatory in Qld. Yes I'm also aware of giving way to pedestrians when turning. It irks though that in many cases those pedestrians are on a red light at their crossing point, yet still wander across without a care.
It's not just the driving that is bad the pedestrians are a worry as well
Old Apr 4th 2011, 5:15 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

How many here know that if you are pulling out of a T-junction you're supposed to give way to a pedestrian crossing the main road?
But that rule also stands in the UK.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAn...code/DG_069858

•turning at road junctions; give way to pedestrians who are already crossing the road into which you are turning

...so if people are following the UK rules they should be sweet in that case!

I've actually found it's 'the locals' who are unaware of that rule. Pointed it out to my ex once who had just blasted the horn at some poor pedestrian who happened to be on the road. Didn't believe me, neither did some others.

When people give their negative observations of drivers I don't think they're complaining about people yielding to pedestrians...they're talking about tailgating, purposely closing gaps to prevent other cars changing lanes and general aggression. The middle one of those is something I really feel is a local trait, I can't explain it and I'm sure it's not due to some local rule I'm not aware of...I hope not anyway!
Old Apr 4th 2011, 5:24 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld

•turning at road junctions; give way to pedestrians who are already crossing the road into which you are turning

I've actually found it's 'the locals' who are unaware of that rule. Pointed it out to my ex once who had just blasted the horn at some poor pedestrian who happened to be on the road. Didn't believe me, neither did some others.

When people give their negative observations of drivers I don't think they're complaining about people yielding to pedestrians...they're talking about tailgating, purposely closing gaps to prevent other cars changing lanes and general aggression. The middle one of those is something I really feel is a local trait, I can't explain it and I'm sure it's not due to some local rule I'm not aware of...I hope not anyway!
I often get people revving their engines and inching forward when I'm crossing on a green light and they are turning left. The worst junction is the entry to the tunnel contsruction site at work. They turn left out of the construction site onto the main road, directly across a pedestrian crossing and its quite normal to have a huge truck inching forwards towards me as I'm crossing the road on a green light. They figure that cos they are bigger than the pedestrians they can get away with it, and often they do - many times the trucks have just rolled over the crossing and we're stuck waiting for it to change the next time - with 4 minutes between green lights thats a real pain.
Old Apr 4th 2011, 5:34 am
Banned

Originally Posted by bcworld

Hate to disagree with you but I've found the middle one to be very London as well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.