New opportunities for UK workers

New opportunities for UK workers

Old Feb 21st 2023, 4:46 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: New opportunities for UK workers

Originally Posted by Pollyana
13 days. Bring it on.
All the very best Poll. You have waited a long time and it has been along time in the waiting. We are both very glad for you.

P&M
Old Feb 21st 2023, 5:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Average temperatures have increased by roughly 1.4C since records began in 1910, with most of that since the 1950s. Air Conditioning only became viable after the invention of freon in the 1920s, but only took off really after WW2 - and in Australia, residential AC started being implemented at scale from the 1970s - 1980s. So temperatures haven't increased dramatically - unless you believe the agenda of the MSM and politicians/vested interests who wish to hurt Western society. Saying that AC is becoming more expensive to operate but if used strategically, can mean that bill shock is not too great

Energy bills are currently much higher in the UK and Europe because of Vladdie Putin but recent history had them higher in Australia. When global energy normality resumes sometime in the future that norm will come back - however, the premature rush to renewable energy may skew that again

COL is roughly the same with Australia probably a bit more expensive, but I reckon that there's not much in it overall

Average incomes are roughly 20% higher here compared to the UK. Average household disposable income is also roughly 20% higher with Australia being 3rd in the world and the UK 14th

Per capita GDP is 30% higher than the UK - an astonishing difference

Perth has the highest incomes in Australia apart from the ACT

Household wealth in Australia, by some metrics, is the highest in the world

Average figures, although better than median are also a bit out of whack as there are more higher income earners in Australia (per capita), whereas the UK has many more low income earners. The working-class doesn't really exist anymore as those with skills have become middle-class and those without have become an underclass. The UK's underclass is growing whereas the average middle-class family in Australia is in a much better situation than those in the UK

Life in 2023, for the average punter in Australia, is pretty good. It's not bad in the UK too, just better here
Things are not quite what they appear. Aussies are indebted to the eyeballs. The hospital system is experiencing stress as in UK. Education generally considered inferior to UK. Nurses, teachers, police etc all disgruntled at their conditions. Rentals close to impossible to find. Little security in renting besides duration of lease.
If the country was doing so well, why is the manufacture of meth a mainstream pursuit replacing a lot of traditional work? This creates an imbalance in the economy between the vast numbers making illegal and undeclared gains to those attempting to get by on a normal salary. Blunts interest rates rises as well, in attempting to cool the economy.

I'd say life pretty stressful in both countries for many, attempting to get by , by traditional means. Debatable overall the advantages of moving to Australia these days.

Old Feb 21st 2023, 5:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Any yet, and yet and yet

There are many things in play here. How do those four countries (Australia's peers in Europe - Australia being wealthier than the big European countries of France, Germany and the UK) manage? Debt is held against an asset - for most people a home. Usually a home is worth more than is owed (I won't debate house prices as they are what they are and it's pointless arguing about them), so there's that to consider. Also, most Australians own a piece of the $3.4 trillion super pile. Sure, only can be used in retirement but it's still an asset. Confidence is key - when that goes there's usually trouble

Household debt is far too high in Australia, no question, but people in Norway and Switzerland seem to manage okay, so it's no different here really. It will be interesting to see how rising interest rates effect confidence. There's obviously an inflection point but we're not there yet. Will we be there after another three rate rises? Who knows
People in Denmark, Switzerland, Netherlands can afford to be relatively relaxed due to their high pension entitlements, not means tested, top class free health systems (unlike Australia) hence removing the fear of poverty in the age.
Actually Australia's super has been shown not to be only for retirement, Billions were removed over recent years and pressure in certain circles has been applied to allow super to be used towards the purchase of a house.
Australia's super is very reliant on the share market hence hardly a guaranteed secure product.
Old Feb 21st 2023, 6:03 am
Forum Regular

scotty9000 is just really nicescotty9000 is just really nicescotty9000 is just really nicescotty9000 is just really nicescotty9000 is just really nicescotty9000 is just really nicescotty9000 is just really nicescotty9000 is just really nice

Originally Posted by the troubadour
Australia's super is very reliant on the share market hence hardly a guaranteed secure product.
Unless there is a massive sovereign wealth fund or the nation is awash in permanently highly valued resources any other type of pension is a ponzi scheme, or supports an entitled few at the cost of the poorer many.

In the UK many people have insisted that net zero is achievable in the near future and fossil fuels are evil. Now that energy costs have soared (isn't that what they wanted?) they are striking for their wages to be increased by an equivalent amount so that their lifestyles are unaffected. Daft.
Old Feb 21st 2023, 7:44 am
Forum Regular

scotty9000 is just really nicescotty9000 is just really nicescotty9000 is just really nicescotty9000 is just really nicescotty9000 is just really nicescotty9000 is just really nicescotty9000 is just really nicescotty9000 is just really nice

You're welcome to it.
i've never had air con, coping with high humidity & temps in the high 30s is a nightmare, but when I hear the guys at wotk comparing massive air con bills, it makes the pain worthwhile.

I'm well up with prices in the UK after 5 months intense research, and know that once I move back I will have a better standard of living.

13 days. Bring it on.
Hope you are moving to a nice bit and look forward to reading your subsequent thoughts. Looks like house prices are falling anyway. Get a woodburner while you still can.
Old Feb 21st 2023, 9:29 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

You're welcome to it.
i've never had air con, coping with high humidity & temps in the high 30s is a nightmare, but when I hear the guys at wotk comparing massive air con bills, it makes the pain worthwhile.

I'm well up with prices in the UK after 5 months intense research, and know that once I move back I will have a better standard of living.

13 days. Bring it on.
It will be nearly spring time and the flowers are showing already ie snowdrops, darts etc it’s always a lovely time to see the trees start to “leaf” again one of the upsides here In the UK in Summer time is that you do not need air con (although with the last couple of summers we have had some may argue with that) our winter here in the park district has once again been mild (ish) only 4 frosty mornings so far.
We are looking at holidays to one of the med countries (plenty of bargains to be had) my OH wants to “go” in July ((I have a “big” birthday then …gulp lol) but I like to go in June as July and August
are lively months to visit the UK, anyway good luck with your move I hope you are more excited than nervous because you’ll be fine. X
Old Feb 21st 2023, 9:43 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
I agree with this. Our 3 bed/2 bath villa uses electricity for everything except hot water and the cooktop. I don't cope with hot weather very well (as in, I bloody hate it) so the air conditioning runs all day and into the evening through much of summer. It's zoned so of course I shut the doors to all the other areas and only have it on in the open kitchen/family/living area. Air con off and ceiling fan in the bedroom on at bedtime, it's enough for cooling through the nights.

My last electricity bill covered just over 2 months, consumption was 680,000 units totalling $186. The daily supply charge added $63, so the bill totalled $249. The renewable energy buyback credits from our solar panels were $85, so the amount we paid for electricity for the period was $164.

My gas bill is ridiculous, around $52 for three months, including the supply charge and account fee I promise we do shower every day and I cook a lot!
I am my “dads” daughter ie he was VERY careful with his money… ie anything not in use “turn it off” etc if your cold an extra blanket and this was a time when most people did not have central heating….we did and one of the first families to have cavity insulation and double glazing, this was in the 70’s (1970’s I might add lol) a product of your upbringing I can vouch for that hence when we lived in Aus (I really do not like hot weather) aircon was used sparingly (I could not sleep with it on the noise!!) at night and early morning the windows would be thrown open if cool enough and “aired the house”( I love fresh air) at best it was a warm breeze but better than nothing. Our bills use to be okay but compared to friends they were excellent lol the same here really but now it’s fashionable (in magazines/media etc) to save in bills ie food, heating etc, even my SIL has cut down 😮 but it’s what I have always done so now I am fashionable …that’s a first lol

Old Feb 21st 2023, 12:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

paddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud of

I desperately want to see the construction industry improve. A new house build in Perth used to take 9 months pre covid. Now it takes around 24 months. This isn't sustainable and I don't think there is a developed country on earth as bad as this.
Old Feb 21st 2023, 1:19 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brits1
It will be nearly spring time and the flowers are showing already ie snowdrops, darts etc it’s always a lovely time to see the trees start to “leaf” again one of the upsides here In the UK in Summer time is that you do not need air con (although with the last couple of summers we have had some may argue with that) our winter here in the park district has once again been mild (ish) only 4 frosty mornings so far.
We are looking at holidays to one of the med countries (plenty of bargains to be had) my OH wants to “go” in July ((I have a “big” birthday then …gulp lol) but I like to go in June as July and August
are lively months to visit the UK, anyway good luck with your move I hope you are more excited than nervous because you’ll be fine. X
It really is a mix of nervous and excited, the one thing I know is that its the right thing to do. I've been home for some of the heatwaves - I remember 2018 well - and at least I'm used to the heat, even though I hate it. I am loving the thought of snow and ice and freezing mornings!
Old Feb 21st 2023, 1:27 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brits1
...now I am fashionable …that’s a first lol

I bought (cheap) a YSL shirt once. Now I think of it a Ralph Lauren casual shirt too.
Probably from TK Maxx.
Old Feb 21st 2023, 9:40 pm
Forum Regular

Retirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paddy234
I desperately want to see the construction industry improve. A new house build in Perth used to take 9 months pre covid. Now it takes around 24 months. This isn't sustainable and I don't think there is a developed country on earth as bad as this.
Lack of supplies.
Old Feb 22nd 2023, 5:56 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

It really is a mix of nervous and excited, the one thing I know is that its the right thing to do.
Try again. You may have missed our post to you upthread . We wouldn't want that as you've been our guest and we know just how much this means to you.

Originally Posted by P and M
All the very best Poll. You have waited a long time and it has been along time in the waiting. We are both very glad for you.

P&M
We both wish you a good journey, safe landings and a happy new phase for your life. It is a right thing you are achieving.

Old Feb 22nd 2023, 10:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Any yet, and yet and yet

There are many things in play here. How do those four countries (Australia's peers in Europe - Australia being wealthier than the big European countries of France, Germany and the UK) manage? Debt is held against an asset - for most people a home. Usually a home is worth more than is owed (I won't debate house prices as they are what they are and it's pointless arguing about them), so there's that to consider. Also, most Australians own a piece of the $3.4 trillion super pile. Sure, only can be used in retirement but it's still an asset. Confidence is key - when that goes there's usually trouble

Household debt is far too high in Australia, no question, but people in Norway and Switzerland seem to manage okay, so it's no different here really. It will be interesting to see how rising interest rates effect confidence. There's obviously an inflection point but we're not there yet. Will we be there after another three rate rises? Who knows
I agree there is a lot to consider, just saying that living in a wealthy country doesn't mean all people are wealthy. How people feel about quality of life, happiness and wealth is also cultural and the best example is Switzerland. The Swiss are always told that they live in the best country, are wealthy and might be happy living in rented apartments, but for me that would be a huge drop in quality of life. When you look at their figures nearly 60% of the population are tenants and nearly 65% live in flats which would be my biggest nightmare. In that sense Australians are far better off and just over 10% have to live in apartments. Of course other things come into play and for the majority of people good public transport is a form of wealth. For me that would be a huge negative as I would have to spend more time with more people. Debt can be a problem if you have an already huge mortgage and mortgage rates increase, so it's all relative.

Last edited by Moses2013; Feb 22nd 2023 at 11:09 am.
Old Feb 22nd 2023, 11:25 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
I agree there is a lot to consider, just saying that living in a wealthy country doesn't mean all people are wealthy. How people feel about quality of life, happiness and wealth is also cultural and the best example is Switzerland. The Swiss are always told that they live in the best country, are wealthy and might be happy living in rented apartments, but for me that would be a huge drop in quality of life. When you look at their figures nearly 60% of the population are tenants and nearly 65% live in flats which would be my biggest nightmare. In that sense Australians are far better off and just over 10% have to live in apartments. Of course other things come into play and for the majority of people good public transport is a form of wealth. For me that would be a huge negative as I would have to spend more time with more people. Debt can be a problem if you have an already huge mortgage and mortgage rates increase, so it's all relative.

Switzerland is a strange country. I've been there many times and despite living in one of the most beautiful, advanced, efficient countries on the planet, most people there look miserable AF. My wife's best friend used to live in Basle and she says that a lot of people are deeply unhappy and that depression and other mental problems are huge issues. There's a lot of unfriendliness there (saying that, one of my flying instructors is Swiss and he is super friendly and chilled - but he's left Switzerland!). Living in a rented flat would also do my head in and I also hate public transport. I mainly work from home now but when I need to go into the city, I drive and pay for parking - better than dealing with dickheads on the train!

Last edited by Amazulu; Feb 23rd 2023 at 12:47 am.
Old Feb 22nd 2023, 11:49 pm
Forum Regular

Switzerland is a strange country. I've been there many times and despite living in one of the most beautiful, advanced, efficient countries on the planet, most people there look miserable AF. My wife's best friend used to live there and she says that a lot of people Swiss people are deeply unhappy and that depression and other mental problems are huge issues.
I find this interesting about Switzerland - loads of guys drive round with a gun in the car but nothing bad ever happens...well very rarely anyway

Switzerland has mandatory military service for men.

The government gives all men between the ages of 18 and 34 deemed "fit for service" a pistol or a rifle and training on how to use them.

After they've finished their service, the men can typically buy and keep their service weapons, but they have to get a permit for them.

Last edited by scotty9000; Feb 22nd 2023 at 11:51 pm. Reason: correction

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.