Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

New opportunities for UK workers

New opportunities for UK workers

Old Feb 16th 2023, 5:04 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default New opportunities for UK workers

Western Australia are about to have a recruitment drive in the UK, looking for Doctor, Nurses, Police and Teachers. I suspect they will have a lot of sucess.
Australian state plans to poach 31,000 British doctors, police officers and teachers | The Independent
Old Feb 17th 2023, 1:15 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New opportunities for UK workers

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Western Australia are about to have a recruitment drive in the UK, looking for Doctor, Nurses, Police and Teachers. I suspect they will have a lot of sucess.
Australian state plans to poach 31,000 British doctors, police officers and teachers | The Independent
I just hope people do a lotof research before they end up teaching in a one-horse two-dog outback town, worse off than they started.
Moving here is eye wateringly expensive now, and living here is no cheaper than the UK. The claim that you will save money on the energy bills is just laughable when you look at the cost of air conditioning in the ever increasing temperatures.
Old Feb 17th 2023, 7:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Poor suckers probably dont realise that the jobs on offer will see them in some place about as far removed from Home and Away as it is possible to get - those places where Aussies dont want to live. And I am sure that there will be no easy escape into suburban Perth if Port Hedland doesnt pan out quite the way they envisage it.
Old Feb 17th 2023, 5:51 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Old Feb 19th 2023, 9:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Well for starters are own. Own teachers , nurses and police unhappy with conditions. Hospital system not coping well, especially considering small population. It is very difficult to obtain a rental. Houses are off questionable quality. Perth and WA is swamped with methamphetamine. We have a multibillion dollar meth industry making this city the biggest meth city in Australia and one of the biggest in the world. It is going largely unchecked, and further inflates the economy, with so much tax free income floating about. All swept under the carpet. . Our location, close to Asia will see severe problems for the future unless something is done.
As has been mentioned, many may well be directed to work in rural towns. Severe issues in many places from drugs to alcohol issues to youth crime depending on location. The numbers being spoke about are large. No way can this state cope with such a number of newcomers under prevailing conditions. (housing is very difficult often available housing is far from infrastructure) Perth doesn't have much of a vibe. Is not to night time city, (early to bed) but can be comfortable in other ways.

Old Feb 19th 2023, 10:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the troubadour
Well for starters are own. Own teachers , nurses and police unhappy with conditions. Hospital system not coping well, especially considering small population. It is very difficult to obtain a rental. Houses are off questionable quality. Perth and WA is swamped with methamphetamine. We have a multibillion dollar meth industry making this city the biggest meth city in Australia and one of the biggest in the world. It is going largely unchecked, and further inflates the economy, with so much tax free income floating about. All swept under the carpet. . Our location, close to Asia will see severe problems for the future unless something is done.
As has been mentioned, many may well be directed to work in rural towns. Severe issues in many places from drugs to alcohol issues to youth crime depending on location. The numbers being spoke about are large. No way can this state cope with such a number of newcomers under prevailing conditions. (housing is very difficult often available housing is far from infrastructure) Perth doesn't have much of a vibe. Is not to night time city, (early to bed) but can be comfortable in other ways.
Awww poor Mark McGowen. No longer the pandemic hero for WA then?
Old Feb 20th 2023, 6:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
Awww poor Mark McGowen. No longer the pandemic hero for WA then?
The way this state has gone, what can I say? I'm ashamed to admit I voted for him but happy to say not our sitting MP for Perth. So much wrong here, but not sure how easy it will be to turn around. Even Lib's (have contacted) not interested in tackling issues .

But saying that, many are 'doing well'. I'm not at all sure a strong feeling against McGowen is of such an extent that will ensure his removal. Not at all sure if a Liberal government would address the issues at stake either.

I hope the move by WA, may just work in the favour of the hard working NHS workers. Perhaps they will conclude (UK govt) that prevailing conditions need to be improved to keep staff and prevent further rapture of what was once one of the best health systems in the world.
Old Feb 20th 2023, 6:38 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I just hope people do a lotof research before they end up teaching in a one-horse two-dog outback town, worse off than they started.
Moving here is eye wateringly expensive now, and living here is no cheaper than the UK. The claim that you will save money on the energy bills is just laughable when you look at the cost of air conditioning in the ever increasing temperatures.

Average temperatures have increased by roughly 1.4C since records began in 1910, with most of that since the 1950s. Air Conditioning only became viable after the invention of freon in the 1920s, but only took off really after WW2 - and in Australia, residential AC started being implemented at scale from the 1970s - 1980s. So temperatures haven't increased dramatically - unless you believe the agenda of the MSM and politicians/vested interests who wish to hurt Western society. Saying that AC is becoming more expensive to operate but if used strategically, can mean that bill shock is not too great

Energy bills are currently much higher in the UK and Europe because of Vladdie Putin but recent history had them higher in Australia. When global energy normality resumes sometime in the future that norm will come back - however, the premature rush to renewable energy may skew that again

COL is roughly the same with Australia probably a bit more expensive, but I reckon that there's not much in it overall

Average incomes are roughly 20% higher here compared to the UK. Average household disposable income is also roughly 20% higher with Australia being 3rd in the world and the UK 14th

Per capita GDP is 30% higher than the UK - an astonishing difference

Perth has the highest incomes in Australia apart from the ACT

Household wealth in Australia, by some metrics, is the highest in the world

Average figures, although better than median are also a bit out of whack as there are more higher income earners in Australia (per capita), whereas the UK has many more low income earners. The working-class doesn't really exist anymore as those with skills have become middle-class and those without have become an underclass. The UK's underclass is growing whereas the average middle-class family in Australia is in a much better situation than those in the UK

Life in 2023, for the average punter in Australia, is pretty good. It's not bad in the UK too, just better here
Old Feb 20th 2023, 8:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu

Average incomes are roughly 20% higher here compared to the UK. Average household disposable income is also roughly 20% higher with Australia being 3rd in the world and the UK 14th

Per capita GDP is 30% higher than the UK - an astonishing difference

Perth has the highest incomes in Australia apart from the ACT

Household wealth in Australia, by some metrics, is the highest in the world

Life in 2023, for the average punter in Australia, is pretty good. It's not bad in the UK too, just better here
Australia's households are the second-most indebted in the world, with total debt standing at 119% of gross domestic product (GDP) last year, second only to Switzerland, data from the International Monetary Fund showed.
Relative to income, household debt has risen considerably in the past decades to 211% of the net disposable income in 2021, the fifth highest in the world, according to OECD. That compared with a ratio of 96.5% in the year of 1995, when OECD data begun.
Affordability is at its worst on record. The national median dwelling value was an estimated 8.5 times the median annual household income level in the first quarter this year, a record high, according to ANZ and CoreLogic.

https://www.reuters.com/markets/aust...ar-2022-12-20/

Old Feb 20th 2023, 10:30 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

You're welcome to it.
i've never had air con, coping with high humidity & temps in the high 30s is a nightmare, but when I hear the guys at wotk comparing massive air con bills, it makes the pain worthwhile.

I'm well up with prices in the UK after 5 months intense research, and know that once I move back I will have a better standard of living.

13 days. Bring it on.
Old Feb 20th 2023, 11:24 am
Forum Regular

Slippery Pete is an unknown quantity at this point

Surprised paramedics isn’t oh the list
Old Feb 20th 2023, 12:07 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Saying that AC is becoming more expensive to operate but if used strategically, can mean that bill shock is not too great
I agree with this. Our 3 bed/2 bath villa uses electricity for everything except hot water and the cooktop. I don't cope with hot weather very well (as in, I bloody hate it) so the air conditioning runs all day and into the evening through much of summer. It's zoned so of course I shut the doors to all the other areas and only have it on in the open kitchen/family/living area. Air con off and ceiling fan in the bedroom on at bedtime, it's enough for cooling through the nights.

My last electricity bill covered just over 2 months, consumption was 680,000 units totalling $186. The daily supply charge added $63, so the bill totalled $249. The renewable energy buyback credits from our solar panels were $85, so the amount we paid for electricity for the period was $164.

My gas bill is ridiculous, around $52 for three months, including the supply charge and account fee I promise we do shower every day and I cook a lot!

Old Feb 21st 2023, 4:28 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
Australia's households are the second-most indebted in the world, with total debt standing at 119% of gross domestic product (GDP) last year, second only to Switzerland, data from the International Monetary Fund showed.
Relative to income, household debt has risen considerably in the past decades to 211% of the net disposable income in 2021, the fifth highest in the world, according to OECD. That compared with a ratio of 96.5% in the year of 1995, when OECD data begun.
Affordability is at its worst on record. The national median dwelling value was an estimated 8.5 times the median annual household income level in the first quarter this year, a record high, according to ANZ and CoreLogic.

https://www.reuters.com/markets/aust...ar-2022-12-20/

Any yet, and yet and yet

There are many things in play here. How do those four countries (Australia's peers in Europe - Australia being wealthier than the big European countries of France, Germany and the UK) manage? Debt is held against an asset - for most people a home. Usually a home is worth more than is owed (I won't debate house prices as they are what they are and it's pointless arguing about them), so there's that to consider. Also, most Australians own a piece of the $3.4 trillion super pile. Sure, only can be used in retirement but it's still an asset. Confidence is key - when that goes there's usually trouble

Household debt is far too high in Australia, no question, but people in Norway and Switzerland seem to manage okay, so it's no different here really. It will be interesting to see how rising interest rates effect confidence. There's obviously an inflection point but we're not there yet. Will we be there after another three rate rises? Who knows
Old Feb 21st 2023, 4:28 am
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by Pollyana
You're welcome to it.
i've never had air con, coping with high humidity & temps in the high 30s is a nightmare, but when I hear the guys at wotk comparing massive air con bills, it makes the pain worthwhile.

I'm well up with prices in the UK after 5 months intense research, and know that once I move back I will have a better standard of living.

13 days. Bring it on.
Cool
Old Feb 21st 2023, 4:36 am
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
I agree with this. Our 3 bed/2 bath villa uses electricity for everything except hot water and the cooktop. I don't cope with hot weather very well (as in, I bloody hate it) so the air conditioning runs all day and into the evening through much of summer. It's zoned so of course I shut the doors to all the other areas and only have it on in the open kitchen/family/living area. Air con off and ceiling fan in the bedroom on at bedtime, it's enough for cooling through the nights.

My last electricity bill covered just over 2 months, consumption was 680,000 units totalling $186. The daily supply charge added $63, so the bill totalled $249. The renewable energy buyback credits from our solar panels were $85, so the amount we paid for electricity for the period was $164.

My gas bill is ridiculous, around $52 for three months, including the supply charge and account fee I promise we do shower every day and I cook a lot!
Modern AC is very efficient and only works really hard when cooling from very hot. Once it's at its operating temp it doesn't use that much power. We have a fairly big house but we have high ceilings and lots of doors and windows that can be opened. We only have split systems and not in every room. We tend to use it at night in our bedroom because we're on a hill and get hit by the big easterlies that Perth experiences - and they're noisy. So now, it's windows closed and AC on all night. Also, I love the bird noise in the early morning but it does wake us up and closing the windows lessens that

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.