Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

The New Coles advert anyone?

The New Coles advert anyone?

Old Apr 15th 2010, 12:05 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: The New Coles advert anyone?

Originally Posted by Petals
These sorts of ads have been around in Aus for years how do we know that Sainsbury's did not copy Coles
I doubt that Sainsburys copied Coles, it appeared in the US before the UK.

Old Apr 15th 2010, 12:42 am

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Coles are intentionally following the Tesco business model and this has been acknowleged by Coles themselves. They are introducing new packaging right across the store in the coming months which is taken directly from Tesco. The only thing that's changed is the name and info on the label.

The Coles package 'Smart Buy", 'You'll love Coles' and 'Coles Finest' are labels which provide about 10% of the sales of Coles... but they're driving a push to get them up to about 25% of sales.

Coles is also following the Tesco 'homewares' sales too. The generic food and goods labeling is merely to push up profits and squeeze other smaller retailers, just as Tesco did in the UK. Nutritionally, evidence shows no difference between 'smart buy' basics and the higher priced 'Finest'.. so they're merely massaging your ego to get you to buy that stuff.

'Smart buy' is not advertised and therefore they can sell it without the addition of an advertising budget. Same milk in the smart buy as in the Coles regular and premium milks, but people don't 'trust' the budget buy because they think it's come from somewhere 'dodgy'... Nope, same cows, same milk.
It's all down to advertising. No budget means cheaper goods.
But those that do think the goods are 'untrustworthy' are the type of shoppers who Coles want so they can make more money off you.
(Suckers)
Old Apr 15th 2010, 1:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sherro
Hi,

Havent posted in a while, but thought id see if anyone noticed the rather uncomfortable copycat of the new coles ad with Aussie "Clint" the chef in it, trying to go all Jamie Oliver in the supermarket and cooking for "mum". Focussing on the $10 feed your family, it was such a rip off of the Sainsburys adverts of similar ilk (feed family for a fiver) i'd be surprised if the legal team at Sainsburys are not already preparing a lawsuit.

I had a look at the feed 4 for $10 buck recipies. 400g meat a couple of pineapple rings and ONE cup of rice to feed 4 people, erm right

Maybe hes been employed by the aussie govt to slim down the monster sized population
Old Apr 15th 2010, 1:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carlap
A number of the Coles higher management are from the UK. There has been a big recruitment drive for store managers in the UK, apparently. Our store manager is from the UK and the rumour is that he is on $300k. Seems a bit high to me, but who knows.
So no real surprise there is a lot of UK influence in everything they do.

The voiceover guy in one of our local coles sounds like he just got off the plane from Barnsley Sounds so funny, trying to flog aussie specials in a northern accent.

They introduced pre packed sandwiches a while back, UK fillings didnt sell mind you they were V expensive. Last week they had take out looking curries $ 20 for a curry and rice I mean really I can go to my authentic local indian restaurant for $13. Morrisons while we were in UK were doing a curry, rice and naan for 3.50 pound, buy one get one free.

Pity they dont bring UK prices now that would catch on
Old Apr 15th 2010, 1:36 am

Originally Posted by jad n rich
I had a look at the feed 4 for $10 buck recipies. 400g meat a couple of pineapple rings and ONE cup of rice to feed 4 people, erm right

That rice can really swell up...
Old Apr 15th 2010, 2:29 am
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

I tried the Fettucine Bolognese recipe the other day as I was in late and wanted something in a hurry. It was so tasteless that I had to add oregano, red wine, worcestershire sauce, tomato puree and some beef stock before we could eat it. Perhaps where I went wrong was by not using Coles ingredients?
Old Apr 15th 2010, 3:33 am
Demi-God

Burbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord_Farquar
From your article:

"The important distinction," explains Colin Hulme, a partner in the intellectual property and technology team of law firm Burness LLP, "is that copyright only protects the expression of the idea, not the idea itself.

Which is what I said.
Old Apr 15th 2010, 3:42 am
Banned

Lord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Burbage
From your article:

"The important distinction," explains Colin Hulme, a partner in the intellectual property and technology team of law firm Burness LLP, "is that copyright only protects the expression of the idea, not the idea itself.

Which is what I said.
So? That has nothing to do with my post.

I said in post #10.

"There could be a case for a breach of intellectual property rights if it was too similar though.

I.e. the expression of the idea rather than the idea itself."

Last edited by Lord_Farquar; Apr 15th 2010 at 3:51 am.
Old Apr 15th 2010, 4:24 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by TiddlyPom
That rice can really swell up...
Many recipes state 1/4 cup raw rice per person, although some do say 1/2 cup,
depends on what people eat on average.

Old Apr 15th 2010, 5:20 am
Demi-God

Burbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord_Farquar
So? That has nothing to do with my post.

I said in post #10.

"There could be a case for a breach of intellectual property rights if it was too similar though.

I.e. the expression of the idea rather than the idea itself."
The expression being the same script, the same set, the same costumes, the same music, the same editing etc.

Which is what I said. The idea cannot be protected, unless it is patented.

Ideas and inventions must be protected by patent before they are publicised.

Scripts and music etc are automatically copyrighted as soon as they are created.

Two different things.

Last edited by Burbage; Apr 15th 2010 at 5:22 am.
Old Apr 15th 2010, 9:13 am
Forum Regular

Joannec2014 is a name known to allJoannec2014 is a name known to allJoannec2014 is a name known to allJoannec2014 is a name known to allJoannec2014 is a name known to allJoannec2014 is a name known to allJoannec2014 is a name known to allJoannec2014 is a name known to allJoannec2014 is a name known to allJoannec2014 is a name known to allJoannec2014 is a name known to all

Now what are the catch phrases again?....very similar too! You can't blame them for copying a successful model....(if you view market domination as success). I tried not shopping at Tescos because I thought it had gone too far when along with my weekly shop I could buy travel insurance, a hay net for a horse...ski goggles and a carpet cleaner....I mean come on, leave some room for the independant traders....In Australia well...I'd be happy if I could get my booze while in the Supermarket....and if prices were not so extortionate.....oh and I could get some decent vegetarian stuff...not much to ask really!
Old Apr 15th 2010, 10:47 am
On the Dark Side :-)

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute

The only thing that bugs me about that advert is that they havent actually factored in the cost of the fettucini... and the portions are kids portions... I'd need at least two portions to fill my boots!!!
Old Apr 16th 2010, 12:52 am

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Many recipes state 1/4 cup raw rice per person, although some do say 1/2 cup,
depends on what people eat on average.
I love you thought I was being serious.

I just go to Aldi. Avoid the grinning chimp boy in Coles. Ker-ching!
Old Apr 16th 2010, 1:08 am
BE Enthusiast

pomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Marks and Spencers food is getting cheaper.

Marks and Spencer this yesterday (8 April) posted lacklustre growth in its fourth-quarter food sales, as food deflation weighed on the results despite volumes rising.The UK retailer revealed that food sales in the period ended 27 March rose by just 2.6%, trailing gains of 10.6% in general merchandise and 48% at the group’s online venture, M&S Direct.

However, speaking to the media after the trading update, chairman Sir Stuart Rose insisted that the group’s food business remained in good shape.

According to Rose, falling UK food prices have “masked” strengthening food sales in the country.
http://www.ausfoodnews.com.au/2010/0...ghs-on-ms.html

M&S are doing 'dine in for 2' meal deal for £10. You get main, side dish, dessert and a bottle of wine for £10. That sound's like fantastic value to me and food looks good.

http://www.marksandspencer.com/Dine-...id=AB_HP_ST_DI
Old Apr 16th 2010, 8:54 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pomtastic

M&S are doing 'dine in for 2' meal deal for £10. You get main, side dish, dessert and a bottle of wine for £10. That sound's like fantastic value to me and food looks good.

http://www.marksandspencer.com/Dine-...id=AB_HP_ST_DI
The MIL and her DrunkenBF were enthusing about that - she said the bottle of wine is decent, the food is good and its definitely excellent value for money.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.