Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Is the NBN a good idea or mental?

Wikiposts
View Poll Results: Is the NBN a good idea?
Yes, the faster the better
45.24%
No, don't need it
28.57%
Don't care, as long as I don't have to pay for it
26.19%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Is the NBN a good idea or mental?

Old Aug 23rd 2010, 1:17 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is the NBN a good idea or mental?

Originally Posted by JackTheLad

P.S. Glasgow had the first underground railway
Are you saying that Glasgow was opened in 1863 before London (10th Jan 1863)?

I am aware of that section being opened, but London still beat it to it.

Last edited by Broad Shoulders; Aug 23rd 2010 at 1:22 pm.
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 1:20 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
So in a 100 years will the HK metro still be doing as well as the recently built Harare one?
The recently-opened Metro in Harare is a newspaper, not a transportation system: http://www.zimbabwemetro.com/

The first section of the Glasgow and central district underground opened in 1863, 3 months before Londons underground. So boo to you.

I got that from the encylopedia brittanica. I'm right, you're wrong phhhhhhh
My copy of the Encylopedia Caledonica says that Scots invented the metro, the train, the wagon, the wheel and in fact motion itself. I think this concludes the argument.
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 1:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
Are you saying that Glasgow was opened in 1863 before London (15th Jan 1863)?

I am aware of that section being opened, but London still beat it to it.
Well, just to kill off this pointless argument. Every reputable reference book says Glasgow had the first subway.

So if its jingoism you're after, by all means say it was the London Metro. But it wasn't. How the hell did we get in to this argument anyway. I was talking about first adopters ending up looking stupid.

Anyway, back to the subject eh?

JTL
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 1:28 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Well, just to kill off this pointless argument. Every reputable reference book says Glasgow had the first subway.

So if its jingoism you're after, by all means say it was the London Metro. But it wasn't. How the hell did we get in to this argument anyway. I was talking about first adopters ending up looking stupid.

JTL
Unless you can claim that the Glasgow one was opened AND operational before 10th Jan 1863 then you are wrong.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/1863...1/transport.uk

The only claims I have read about Glasgow is that it opened in 1863...but no actual date.
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 1:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Unless you can claim that the Glasgow one was opened AND operational before 10th Jan 1863 then you are wrong.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/1863...1/transport.uk

The only claims I have read about Glasgow is that it opened in 1863...but no actual date.
Ahhh jeeez I give up. I refer you to the encylopedia brittanica, and numerous other encylopedias and websites. Here's a hint: try googling 'Worlds first subway'.

If it brings back a link to wikipedia you'll know it's bollox.

JTL
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 1:40 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar
The recently-opened Metro in Harare is a newspaper, not a transportation system: http://www.zimbabwemetro.com/
...t.
I was referring to the fictional underground system that is to be opened in 100 years time.
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 1:42 pm
Account Closed

Ahhh jeeez I give up. I refer you to the encylopedia brittanica, and numerous other encylopedias and websites. Here's a hint: try googling 'Worlds first subway'.

JTL
1. London
2. Istanbul
3. Boston
4. Glasgow

How brainwashed are you from your time in Glasgow?
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 1:43 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

JTL
Then show us a link! I have provided a link to the news article that was written the day after the opening. I have not used Wikipedia for these "facts". As I said all I can see when I look up the Glasgow system is that it opened up in 1863, which if true would be difficult to beat the opening of the London system on 10th Jan 1863. If it opened before that date then show us your facts...a link...source, whatever, otherwise your claims are jingoistic and wild.
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 1:45 pm
Account Closed

JTL
You were first to adopt that argument so I guess it must be true.
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 1:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Then show us a link! I have provided a link to the news article that was written the day after the opening. I have not used Wikipedia for these "facts". As I said all I can see when I look up the Glasgow system is that it opened up in 1863, which if true would be difficult to beat the opening of the London system on 10th Jan 1863. If it opened before that date then show us your facts...a link...source, whatever, otherwise your claims are jingoistic and wild.

I'll send you a link to my 17 volume encylopdia. Otherwise look it up.

Anyway, for god sake guys just accept you're wrong and get back on topic.

The point is being a first adopter of technology means you are the loser later.

JTL

And Glasgow had the first subway system. We've established that right?
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 2:02 pm
Account Closed

On a side note. Did you know the OED has been publishing a wrong description of syphoning for the last 100 years or more?
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 2:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

On a side note. Did you know the OED has been publishing a wrong description of syphoning for the last 100 years or more?
I'm guessing this is a build to a joke.... so go on what was their incorrect definition of syphoning

It better be a bloody good joke.

JTL
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 2:19 pm
Account Closed

I'm guessing this is a build to a joke.... so go on what was their incorrect definition of syphoning

It better be a bloody good joke.

JTL
Just pointing out that reputable references sometimes get things wrong.

Sorry no joke springs to mind. I know that sucks
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 3:29 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry no joke springs to mind. I know that sucks
You're going to be under pressure if it's not all going to go downhill.
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 4:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Oh I see it now:

Syphon:
An adder that is usually poisonous and can sometimes crush a hamster to death. See snake/trouser

JTL

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.