Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

A nation of gamblers

A nation of gamblers

Old Apr 28th 2009, 9:36 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default A nation of gamblers

What is it with Australians and gambling?

I have been a regular racegoer for years, in fact I am a member of the Brisbane turf club, and go to the races a couple of times a week.

I am not averse to a 'lttle flutter' and never have been

However I am gobsmacked by the level of gambling I see.....not just the size of the bets but also the stupid wagers that people make

I have seen thousands of dollars bet on 'donkeys'. At every race meeting there are bookies or the TAB which will take wagers on meetings elsewhere.

Some punters will make upwards of 50 bets in an afternoon.....these do not look to be wealthy people.

They all seem to be looking for the 'jackpot' which rarely comes

There are also TABs in every pub and 'pokies' everywhere.

It seems to be, truly a national problem

G
Old Apr 28th 2009, 9:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A nation of gamblers

Originally Posted by Grayling

I have been a regular racegoer for years, in fact I am a member of the Brisbane turf club, and go to the races a couple of times a week.

However I am gobsmacked by the level of gambling I see.....not just the size of the bets but also the stupid wagers that people make

I have seen thousands of dollars bet on 'donkeys'. At every race meeting there are bookies or the TAB which will take wagers on meetings elsewhere.

Some punters will make upwards of 50 bets in an afternoon.....these do not look to be wealthy people.

G

I'd suggest its boredom, however someone might suggest I shut up and get excited by having a BBQ

Seriously the pokies bus picks up at the retirement villages round here to take them in for breakfast

I tell ya man, we need to get out of here
Old Apr 28th 2009, 9:53 am
Forum Regular

Letspretend.... has a brilliant futureLetspretend.... has a brilliant futureLetspretend.... has a brilliant futureLetspretend.... has a brilliant futureLetspretend.... has a brilliant futureLetspretend.... has a brilliant future

G
Now you have again tried to impress all about your "memberships" how about a more meaningful post?
Old Apr 28th 2009, 9:55 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Letspretend....
Now you have again tried to impress all about your "memberships" how about a more meaningful post?
Glad you are impressed
Old Apr 28th 2009, 9:56 am
Forum Regular

Letspretend.... has a brilliant futureLetspretend.... has a brilliant futureLetspretend.... has a brilliant futureLetspretend.... has a brilliant futureLetspretend.... has a brilliant futureLetspretend.... has a brilliant future

Glad you are impressed

Not by you I`m afraid, try some newbie bait
Old Apr 28th 2009, 10:01 am
Forum Regular

painter in aus will become famous soon enoughpainter in aus will become famous soon enough

when i nip up the gold coast race track.........most of them aussie gamblers are a mass with tattoos. is that a australian macho thing
Old Apr 28th 2009, 10:07 am
Bitter and twisted

Not by you I`m afraid, try some newbie bait
Good job I couldn't give a ***** what you think then isn't it?
Old Apr 28th 2009, 10:09 am
Forum Regular

Good job I couldn't give a ***** what you think then isn't it?
Oh how feral....
Old Apr 28th 2009, 10:10 am
Bitter and twisted

Oh how feral....
Yes....I am beginning to fit in with the Australians.

the better class ones of course.
Old Apr 28th 2009, 10:13 am
Forum Regular

Yes....I am beginning to fit in with the Australians.

the better class ones of course.
I really dont think you could comprehend the term "fitting in" Though time spent trawling internet sites doesnt count.
Old Apr 28th 2009, 10:15 am
Bitter and twisted

Though time spent trawling internet sites doesnt count.
Getting a bit desperate are you?
Old Apr 28th 2009, 10:17 am
Forum Regular

Getting a bit desperate are you?
Of course
Old Apr 28th 2009, 10:27 am
Forum Regular

painter in aus will become famous soon enoughpainter in aus will become famous soon enough

Oh how feral....
tradies love talk like that..makes us feel at home
Old Apr 28th 2009, 11:13 am
Forum Regular

CaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud of

You are not allowed to make observations on this discussion board that have potential to portray Australia as anything other than paradise on earth. You should know this by now.
Old Apr 28th 2009, 11:16 am
Cad and bounder

perksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond repute

G
You never spent much time in the bookies in the UK then?

I'd say it was worse over there, not only can you bet on any sport happening anywhere in the world, you can also bet on ficticious computer generated horse and greyhound racing, football, tennis, golf even snooker

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.