Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Name one thing in Oz that is cheaper than in the UK

Name one thing in Oz that is cheaper than in the UK

Old Oct 29th 2012, 8:11 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Name one thing in Oz that is cheaper than in the UK

Originally Posted by steve`o
there's lots of boats in the harbour where we are ( hope ) that dont ever seem to move, its a huge waste of money to be sure,
A huge amount of oneupmanship you would have to think.
Old Oct 29th 2012, 8:13 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
The family behind us in Brisbane had a boat, it was a nice boat but they hardly ever used it. I must admit I was thinking about getting a boat and naming it The Money Pit.
I've noticed that a lot in Aus. Family with boats that never hit the water
Old Oct 29th 2012, 8:15 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry
I've noticed that a lot in Aus. Family with boats that never hit the water
Especially if it is bigger than the neighbours boat
Old Oct 29th 2012, 8:17 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Especially if it is bigger than the neighbours boat
Oh yes, the Joneses
Old Oct 29th 2012, 8:18 pm
Banned

Oh yes, the Joneses
Not just keep up but overtake
Old Oct 29th 2012, 8:26 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

A huge amount of oneupmanship you would have to think.
no i don't see it that way, i think a lot of it is down to people buying something that they dot really know how to use so it stays in the harbour, i`ve taken a few boats from our harbour out with there owners and being quite surprised at the lack of experience,

i recently took a 35 foot cat out whale watching with its elderly owner who admitted that he rarely went out to sea even though he`d had boats for decades?
Old Oct 29th 2012, 8:29 pm
Banned

no i don't see it that way, i think a lot of it is down to people buying something that they dot really know how to use so it stays in the harbour, i`ve taken a few boats from our harbour out with there owners and being quite surprised at the lack of experience,

i recently took a 35 foot cat out whale watching with its elderly owner who admitted that he rarely went out to sea even though he`d had boats for decades?
Yeah there would be that as well, I cant say too much, I have motorbikes that I have rarely ridden
Old Oct 29th 2012, 8:33 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah there would be that as well, I cant say too much, I have motorbikes that I have rarely ridden
mmm done that as well

sold my last bike as we left the uk a 1929 scott TT special
650cc twin water cooled two stroke that i was `restoring` had it nealy 10 years and never got round to starting it,

my jawa trail bike however was well used
Old Oct 29th 2012, 8:37 pm
Banned

mmm done that as well

sold my last bike as we left the uk a 1929 scott TT special
650cc twin water cooled two stroke that i was `restoring` had it nealy 10 years and never got round to starting it,

my jawa trail bike however was well used
Triumph and Norton for me but that Scott is a real beauty, not a 600 ?
Old Oct 29th 2012, 8:41 pm
Worongary

Triumph and Norton for me but that Scott is a real beauty, not a 600 ?
sorry yes 596cc picture and info on my bike
Attached Thumbnails Name one thing in Oz that is cheaper than in the UK-scott-letter.jpg   Name one thing in Oz that is cheaper than in the UK-img_3249.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: doc
SCOTT OWNERS.doc (587.0 KB, 717 views)

Last edited by steve`o; Oct 29th 2012 at 8:46 pm.
Old Oct 29th 2012, 9:01 pm
Banned

sorry yes 596cc picture and info on my bike
Yes I thought it was a 600, very nice.
Old Oct 29th 2012, 9:36 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

We had yachts in the U.K, my dad was just a humble electrician, not a rich man by any means. Down the pub he would often be ribbed by the lads for being flash & owning a yacht. The reality is that the last boat he built up from a bare hull over 4 years. It cost the same as buying a pack of 20 Benson & Hedges a day for 20 years [His argument to the many smokers in the pub]
It's much more affordable here in Australia to own a boat. Pick any of the well known designs & compare prices. Marina fees are cheaper as well.
A lot of boats are bought by business owners to offset tax, they sit for years unused apart from going down to the marina & drinking a bottle of wine on the deck.
Gibraltar was a popular hiding place for them at one stage. When companies were struggling boats would hide in the marina there. Often the fees remained unpaid. Any boat owing overdue fees would be auctioned. I nearly bought a beautiful Colin Archer for 2k GBP back in 97 it owed that in marina fees & no one else bid on her.

Last edited by cresta57; Oct 29th 2012 at 9:41 pm.
Old Oct 30th 2012, 1:25 am
Banned

What about uni fees? Eldest begins uni next year and the fees are expected to be around $10-11k per year. How does that compare with the UK?
Old Oct 30th 2012, 4:35 am
Worongary

What about uni fees? Eldest begins uni next year and the fees are expected to be around $10-11k per year. How does that compare with the UK?
have you had a costing on that my daughters currently doing a double degree at Griffith costing approx 7k a year
Old Oct 30th 2012, 4:45 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Uni fees are now typically £9k a year

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.