Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Name one positive thing about your life in Oz you couldn't have in the UK.

Name one positive thing about your life in Oz you couldn't have in the UK.

Old Jan 25th 2007, 11:16 am
Back in OZ!

ElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Name one positive thing about your life in Oz you couldn't have in the UK.

Coffee Chill (being honest - love the stuff)

ummm Ooooh seriously, my niece and nephew! I get to spend time with them here (they are 2.5yrs and 9months)

I dunno - I just wake up happy. Ok....not strictly true, I wake up a grump, but when I am on the train on the way to Perth and see the 3 skyscrapers (or is it 4 now?) Anyway, I feel proud to be an 'Aussie'

I paid to come to this Country, If I didn't like it, I'd have paid to go back - simple! Am not going to make comparisons. There are positive things about Australia, likewise there are many positive things about England....

There are also, not-so-nice things about both places! I have a feeling which helps me immensely and this is it, 'The ache for England is not as painful as the ache I had for Australia when living in England. When the ache gets to be bigger than I can cope with, then I know it is time to go back to England!' I cannot see that happening, but you should never say 'never' in this life
Old Jan 25th 2007, 11:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Name one positive thing about your life in Oz you couldn't have in the UK.

Originally Posted by ElshaUK
I have a feeling which helps me immensely and this is it, 'The ache for England is not as painful as the ache I had for Australia when living in England. When the ache gets to be bigger than I can cope with, then I know it is time to go back to England!' I cannot see that happening, but you should never say 'never' in this life
I agree. For me there is a pull here. Back in the UK there would always, always be a pull back here. The UK would have to offer an awful lot to outpull..and I don't think it will ever quite manage it.
Old Jan 25th 2007, 11:37 am
Back in OZ!

ElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
I agree. For me there is a pull here. Back in the UK there would always, always be a pull back here. The UK would have to offer an awful lot to outpull..and I don't think it will ever quite manage it.
Yep...sorta near enough how I feel Have some K!
Old Jan 25th 2007, 12:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

don544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond repute

just celebrated my 8 year old daughters birthday at the local sports centre (first in oz).
we were encouraged to take video and photo's of the event.
in the UK, you couldn't even take a photo of your children at their own school!!
Old Jan 25th 2007, 12:37 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by don544
just celebrated my 8 year old daughters birthday at the local sports centre (first in oz).
we were encouraged to take video and photo's of the event.
in the UK, you couldn't even take a photo of your children at their own school!!
Give it time and that sort of shite will arrive here as well. Utter bollocks if you ask me. Couldn't believe it when we were told no pictures in school.. paranoia running wild.
Old Jan 25th 2007, 1:48 pm
Just Joined

bazperth is just really nicebazperth is just really nicebazperth is just really nicebazperth is just really nicebazperth is just really nicebazperth is just really nicebazperth is just really nicebazperth is just really nicebazperth is just really nice

Hi everyone, I have lurked on this forum for a year or more and it really find it quite disheartening sometimes. It's very easy depending on whether you’re having a good or bad time here in Australia to criticise the other persons country and yeah, sometimes it's feels good to have a argument a let off steam and get off your chest the little things that wind us up about our host country. I am guilty of this also. To give you some back ground, I came from London to Perth Sept 2005.The reason being, my wife is from Perth and she was worried about the health of her parents. They are in their 70s and after living with me in London for 10 years I felt it only fair we spent some time here. How could I say no? I knew from being here in 1991 on a work visa for 6 months it was going to be tough and yes, I agree it's not a long time that I’ve been here but I do find it incredibly difficult. I shan’t say why it's tough, but Perth and me are incompatible and hand on heart are never going to work out. The reasons for disliking Perth have been posted a million times on these forums and we all know from experience the backlash to be expected from repeating dislikes/likes Aus vs UK. I have now resigned myself to the fact that I’m here and have to remain positive for the sake of my family .My wife is obviously enjoying spending time with her folks and sister and me moaning and being down all the time is worrying her. It’s a downward spiral not to mention counterproductive. I have decided to be more positive and look to the future and use my time here to try and improve things for myself. If you have time to sit and moan then you have time to work on things to make your situation better. Remember, It's not going to be forever so if anyone is out there feeling the same keep that thought. This helps me cope, and for the Bugger off back to England people, I get where you’re coming from. If I was in England reading a forum full of people bagging the UK yeah they would maybe get the same response, however, this is not really an option for me and a lot of other people also, i.e. family issues, financial etc. I'm guessing like me they wished they loved it here it would certainly make life a whole lot easier. That's it I hope I put across my point without rambling. Cheers all.
Old Jan 25th 2007, 2:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bazperth
I have decided to be more positive and look to the future and use my time here to try and improve things for myself. If you have time to sit and moan then you have time to work on things to make your situation better.
Excellent viewpoint, good for you - karma headed your way,
Old Jan 25th 2007, 6:05 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: Name one positive thing about your life in Oz you couldn't have in the UK.

Originally Posted by ElshaUK
Coffee Chill (being honest - love the stuff)

ummm Ooooh seriously, my niece and nephew! I get to spend time with them here (they are 2.5yrs and 9months)

I dunno - I just wake up happy. Ok....not strictly true, I wake up a grump, but when I am on the train on the way to Perth and see the 3 skyscrapers (or is it 4 now?) Anyway, I feel proud to be an 'Aussie'

I paid to come to this Country, If I didn't like it, I'd have paid to go back - simple! Am not going to make comparisons. There are positive things about Australia, likewise there are many positive things about England....

There are also, not-so-nice things about both places! I have a feeling which helps me immensely and this is it, 'The ache for England is not as painful as the ache I had for Australia when living in England. When the ache gets to be bigger than I can cope with, then I know it is time to go back to England!' I cannot see that happening, but you should never say 'never' in this life
Perth has three skyscrapers now?!

Last edited by Vash the Stampede; Jan 25th 2007 at 6:07 pm.
Old Jan 25th 2007, 6:07 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Name one positive thing about your life in Oz you couldn't have in the UK.

Originally Posted by bazperth
Hi everyone, I have lurked on this forum for a year or more and it really find it quite disheartening sometimes. It's very easy depending on whether you’re having a good or bad time here in Australia to criticise the other persons country and yeah, sometimes it's feels good to have a argument a let off steam and get off your chest the little things that wind us up about our host country. I am guilty of this also. To give you some back ground, I came from London to Perth Sept 2005.The reason being, my wife is from Perth and she was worried about the health of her parents. They are in their 70s and after living with me in London for 10 years I felt it only fair we spent some time here. How could I say no? I knew from being here in 1991 on a work visa for 6 months it was going to be tough and yes, I agree it's not a long time that I’ve been here but I do find it incredibly difficult. I shan’t say why it's tough, but Perth and me are incompatible and hand on heart are never going to work out. The reasons for disliking Perth have been posted a million times on these forums and we all know from experience the backlash to be expected from repeating dislikes/likes Aus vs UK. I have now resigned myself to the fact that I’m here and have to remain positive for the sake of my family .My wife is obviously enjoying spending time with her folks and sister and me moaning and being down all the time is worrying her. It’s a downward spiral not to mention counterproductive. I have decided to be more positive and look to the future and use my time here to try and improve things for myself. If you have time to sit and moan then you have time to work on things to make your situation better. Remember, It's not going to be forever so if anyone is out there feeling the same keep that thought. This helps me cope, and for the Bugger off back to England people, I get where you’re coming from. If I was in England reading a forum full of people bagging the UK yeah they would maybe get the same response, however, this is not really an option for me and a lot of other people also, i.e. family issues, financial etc. I'm guessing like me they wished they loved it here it would certainly make life a whole lot easier. That's it I hope I put across my point without rambling. Cheers all.
Fair play.

Hope things get better for you.
Old Jan 25th 2007, 6:08 pm
Fighting my corner

Smile Re: Name one positive thing about your life in Oz you couldn't have in the UK.

Originally Posted by St.Georges Girl
My guess is that you haven't been here through a winter yet? Am I right?
He's in the NT. Winters are unlikely to be dire.

You don't get much snow in the Tropic of Capricorn.
Old Jan 25th 2007, 7:47 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sassenach
yep theres heaps of SPACE here and most of it is between the average australians ears.
I guess that would make them less dense
Old Jan 25th 2007, 9:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

matt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by St.Georges Girl
...The priest smiled and answered, ......."You're in Australia now, son - it's a local call".
Oh dear, Alan Jones used that this morning.
Old Jan 25th 2007, 9:21 pm
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by matt-and-jenny
Oh dear, Alan Jones used that this morning.
I missed it

was on another call
Old Jan 25th 2007, 11:15 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
He's in the NT. Winters are unlikely to be dire.

You don't get much snow in the Tropic of Capricorn.
Don't recall getting food drops by Hercules and driving to work on a skidoo down here either mate.
Old Jan 26th 2007, 12:00 am
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy
That's the 'thumbs up' smilie. What's sneaky about that

This is sneaky although it looks a bit constipated to me
Yes, and that's one of the emoticons the bears used.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.