MY observations.

Old May 9th 2012, 6:44 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute
Default MY observations.

All I can share are my own personal observations, it really doesnt matter to me if others dont agree as it is what WE are seeing with our own eyes.
Stuff is cheap, groceries are VERY cheap. Fresh fruit and veg seems amazingly just as fresh and as tasty as in Brisbane, of course there is no real real reason why that shouldnt be the case.
Driving is a joy, the drivers generally are courteous and appear to know what they are doing.
Petrol is expensive, we have a Prius so together with 20 quid road tax against rego we are paying roughly the same here overall to run a car.
We arent seeing the rubbish on the streets that others have mentioned (in other areas maybe ?)
People are friendly and helpful and dont appear to be obsessed and scared for their jobs and futures.
Get off the main roads and there are literally thousands of wonderful little villages and hamlets.
Even our born and bred Brisbane kids are having a ball and are only missing their friends and permanent broadband
The weather has been crap with a few really nice days inbetween but we didnt come here for the weather.
So far so good, we are all having a ball.
Old May 9th 2012, 8:31 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: MY observations.

Pleased it's working out for you
Old May 9th 2012, 10:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

Ah Chris, you are lucky you are in the equivalent of godzone country, being in the west country. Lots to enjoy and a slower pace of life than frantic surburbia in London.

I still get my nature notes from the Berks Bucks and Oxon wildlife people, and I still miss the British countryside spring, though from what I hear it has been fairly miserable after a mild winter. It is so beautiful when the leaves first come on the trees, followed by the huge candlesticks of the chestnut trees- we don't have that out here,although there are other compensations like the amazing purples of the jacarandas and currently Tibouchinas.

Enjoy- hope the honeymoon period lasts for you.
Old May 9th 2012, 10:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
All I can share are my own personal observations, it really doesnt matter to me if others dont agree as it is what WE are seeing with our own eyes.
Stuff is cheap, groceries are VERY cheap. Fresh fruit and veg seems amazingly just as fresh and as tasty as in Brisbane, of course there is no real real reason why that shouldnt be the case.
Driving is a joy, the drivers generally are courteous and appear to know what they are doing.
Petrol is expensive, we have a Prius so together with 20 quid road tax against rego we are paying roughly the same here overall to run a car.
We arent seeing the rubbish on the streets that others have mentioned (in other areas maybe ?)
People are friendly and helpful and dont appear to be obsessed and scared for their jobs and futures.
Get off the main roads and there are literally thousands of wonderful little villages and hamlets.
Even our born and bred Brisbane kids are having a ball and are only missing their friends and permanent broadband
The weather has been crap with a few really nice days inbetween but we didnt come here for the weather.
Is that all? Food, weather ...do tell us there is more!
Old May 9th 2012, 10:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

I woud agree with most of this and add that utilities and BB are very cheap compared to Sydney. I'm from Somt originally but now live in Surrey. The driving is much more courteous and safer for me as a cyclist, but I find the attitude to parking grossly inconsiderate in the sth east a lot of the time. It's the only thing that really disappoints me with being back in the UK. (well that and those freakin Wonga ads )
Old May 10th 2012, 5:23 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: MY observations.

As you moved from a city of 1 million people I presume you have moved to a similar sized city so that your comparisons are valid? Oh wait, there's no cities that big in Somerset.....

BB
Old May 10th 2012, 5:47 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

I'm off for a stint on Guernsey in a few weeks,i'll report back on the difficulties of island life and the dog shit
Old May 10th 2012, 5:50 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bernieboy
I'm off for a stint on Guernsey in a few weeks,i'll report back on the difficulties of island life and the dog shit
I hear packs of dogs run wild over there, tis a shocking place, best take yer wellies
Old May 10th 2012, 6:14 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Cool, I lived there for a year.

I used to drink in the Wellington in St Peter Port. Don't know if it is still there but it was/is an Irish pub, rough as hell. I was told the IRA used to send blokes to the Channel Islands to lay low when the authorities were on to them in NI. Don't know how true that was but there was quite a turnover of hard Irish blokes that I made sure I didn't get into a fight with.

Also the Jamaica Inn in St Sampson, used to hang out with Oliver Reed there - true story.
Old May 10th 2012, 8:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

We went to Guernsey on holiday twice when I was a kid. We used to wander along St Peter Port and watch the lads fishing for garfish off of the breakwall (might have been a lighthouse, I can't remember).

Guernsey is famous for tomatoes and one day we went to see the fishermen and they all had boxes of soft tomatoes ready to throw at boats from the annual sailing regatta if they got too close.

I remember going to an underground hospital museum, I don't think I liked it as I was very young and a bit freaked out. Took a day trip to Sark as well, that was nice. Can't comment on the pubs as I was only about 8yrs old
Old May 10th 2012, 9:26 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

I once had a pint of Guernsey Gold Top. Other than that, I know foo kall about the place.
Old May 10th 2012, 10:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
As you moved from a city of 1 million people ...
BB
2 million now thank you
Old May 10th 2012, 10:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Location: north east england to south east queensland(cleveland in fact )WE WON THE CUP
bobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fish.01
2 million now thank you
-1 .....yeeeehaah
Old May 10th 2012, 10:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
As you moved from a city of 1 million people I presume you have moved to a similar sized city so that your comparisons are valid? Oh wait, there's no cities that big in Somerset.....

BB
Brisbane suburbia would not be anything like Somerset...nowhere in the UK really can be.....to me it's as clear as mud....

you can of course make literal comparisons : I compare rural counties and London with semi rural Melbourne and Melbourne itself and I like what I see...
Old May 10th 2012, 10:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Aha!!!! the biggest difference between rural UK and rural australia... Is that most people can't afford to live in the rural bits of the uk....where as rural australia can be dead cheap...

I think I have the answer!!!!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.