Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Is my daughters after school carer a fool or a pedophile?

View Poll Results: This guy is:
Probably harmless (but misguided)
33.33%
Textbook evil-doer
66.67%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Is my daughters after school carer a fool or a pedophile?

Old Aug 24th 2010, 5:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

LouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is my daughters after school carer a fool or a pedophile?

Originally Posted by spartacus
There's a definite line between an inappropriate act and an illegal act . . . to date this person appears to have been nothing more than the former which at worst means he has really poor judgement. However, people with poor judgement shouldn't be working with children.
I agree. But maybe the mouth blowing thing is a stepping stone to something more devious? Maybe he thinks if I can get away with this what else can I do? Could be grooming, could be a complete moron thinking it was a funny game.

Who knows? And no-one's going to know until this guy is sat down asked about it and all the children in the class are delicately interviewed to see if anything untoward has happened to them.
Old Aug 24th 2010, 5:42 pm

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

And unfortunately that's generally what happens . . . the problem is made to go away to in turn become someone elses problem.

There's a definite line between an inappropriate act and an illegal act . . . to date this person appears to have been nothing more than the former which at worst means he has really poor judgement. However, people with poor judgement shouldn't be working with children.
If it's poor judgement, why has he denied it even happened? I don't believe the little girl would create something so utterly random to tell her parents... I believe what she says. To deny the existence of it happening makes me far more suspicious. He's relying on the adults not believing the story of the little one. Not good.
If he's innocent of any wrongdoing, he should have said something to clarify.
Old Aug 24th 2010, 5:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

LouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TiddlyPom
If it's poor judgement, why has he denied it even happened? I don't believe the little girl would create something so utterly random to tell her parents... I believe what she says. To deny the existence of it happening makes me far more suspicious. He's relying on the adults not believing the story of the little one. Not good.
He could have just panicked and denied it without thinking. Once you've told a lie like that it'd be pretty hard to go back on...
Old Aug 24th 2010, 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by LouiseR
He could have just panicked and denied it without thinking. Once you've told a lie like that it'd be pretty hard to go back on...
For sure. And if he did that it smacks of immaturity and he's ashamed of it because he won't come clean... but also he's a male (I know I know, women abuse too) working with children and he should be absolutely saintly about his behaviour.
Old Aug 24th 2010, 5:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

I agree, but perhaps his poor judgement led him to deny it. And you're absolutely right about believing children when they they tell you, what appear to be, unbelievable things.
Old Aug 24th 2010, 5:49 pm

I agree, but perhaps his poor judgement led him to deny it. And you're absolutely right about believing children when they they tell you, what appear to be, unbelievable things.
Hey, if it was my kid, I'd be finding a new place. Nothing ambiguous should sit there giving you doubts like that about your childrens carer. I think I'd rather report it than find out six months later that he's done something serious knowing I could have prevented it by raising my voice. And if it's totally innocent, then he would have nothing to worry about by being questioned.
But it's not me, so I reckon Dad and his wife's gotta make a tough decision.
Old Aug 24th 2010, 6:27 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Hey, if it was my kid, I'd be finding a new place. Nothing ambiguous should sit there giving you doubts like that about your childrens carer. I think I'd rather report it than find out six months later that he's done something serious knowing I could have prevented it by raising my voice. And if it's totally innocent, then he would have nothing to worry about by being questioned.
Bloody right.

But it's not me, so I reckon Dad and his wife's gotta make a tough decision.
The good thing is the problem has been raised, how dilligently it will get monitored is up in the air ...

I went to collect my kid from an ABC child-care centre and they were all watching TV unsupervised. Would not have happened at the old C&K ... such a lottery ...
Old Aug 24th 2010, 6:49 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

As Dadagain has said, there's no definite confirmation that this guy did do this blowing in mouth thing. His 6 year old daughter said he did and whilst no one is calling her a liar, no one, including the child's father is 100% sure it's happened. So before you lynch someone, make sure that a) you have the right someone and b) they are guilty of said crime.
Old Aug 24th 2010, 7:07 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
As Dadagain has said, there's no definite confirmation that this guy did do this blowing in mouth thing. His 6 year old daughter said he did and whilst no one is calling her a liar, no one, including the child's father is 100% sure it's happened. So before you lynch someone, make sure that a) you have the right someone and b) they are guilty of said crime.
You mean kids aren't reliable witnesses?
Old Aug 24th 2010, 7:33 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeadVim
You mean kids aren't reliable witnesses?
Adults aren't, why should children be?
Old Aug 24th 2010, 8:04 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DadAgain
I know a few of you were interested in where this was going to go. We have heard back from the company:

It seems following a thorough and discreet investigation the guy denied any wrong-doing (surprise surpise) and that is that. So theres no 'innocent explanation' f the behaviour - simply a flat denial that it, or anything like it, took place at all. We were however, reassured that there would be 'more frequent' site visits from management to monitor the situation. Pffft - like he's gonna do anything suss once management walk through the door?!

So we'll see what happens and if theres any hint of something odd going on again then I guess we'll have to re-assess the situation.

Have to say id not be happy with this at all.
my kids went to a childminder for several years until 2 months ago - i had my reservations about her and her 21 yr old son who worked with her over several issues (diet lacking in fruit/veg, lack of supervison, too many kids, kids having to be quiet when her husband was home, she was on internet/facebook constantly fiindng men to meet, son getting violent and aggressive when he lost at internet games - kids could hear him trashing his bedroom, her attempts at discipline with one or two kids).
the final straw came when she said my then 12yr old daugher was simulating oral sex with a hotdog sausage (daughter was bieng an immature twit, she doesnt know what oral sex is ffs!). I immediately removed her and our 2 boys out of her care - told her exactly what the issues were and reported her to ofsted who basically have done sod all.
the childminder is still having peoples kids ... despite several parents having serious issues with some of her practices - for some bizarre reason they put thier work before thier kids!
but the slightest doubt about something serious, i removed them. it caused me serious problems at work as my boss didnt understand why i wasnt putting work first and the stress was awful, but my kids come first and no one is going to rob them of thier innocence. My boss said i could be dismissed for leaving work early without authorisation - so i told him my kids safety was paramount and he could stuff his job if he thought i was going to leave them at risk just so his department was staffed. my colleagues supported me, so i guess im lucky, but it was a very stressfull time and im lucky enough to have found another childminder quickly who is excellent.

please get your child out of there now, you will feel better for doing it. you have serious grounds for not being happy - your childs well being and state of mind is at stake here, and you arent happy with the managements explanation.
Old Aug 24th 2010, 10:21 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Which is just what I was trying to say. Would send K, but have to spread it first.
Old Aug 26th 2010, 11:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Safin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond repute

Whilst both adults and children can be unreliable it doesn't follow that because she is a child she is unreliable. How else can a child report what is going on?

Maybe she's the first he's done this to, maybe she's the first to have spoken out, maybe she's the first to be listened to.

Yes it can devastate an innocent persons life to be falsely accused of peadophile like behaviour. It can devastate a childs (or many childrens) life if the alarms bells are ignored.

Dad has tried to go down the discrete internal ave and got a totally unsatisfactory result. Going to the police - discretely - is really his only option. It should be handled by the police in such a way that no finger pointing and vigilante retributions are the result - well not unless charges and conviction result anyway.

Its kind of hard to get a charge let alone conviction if there is no evidence of wrongdoing. Her word wouldn't be enough on its own I'd've thought without more to support her. But it allow the police to look to see if there was more going on - computers, other kids, previous allegations etc

Choice 1. The man is innocent - he is now forwarned by his interview and has no reason to repeat his mistakes. The company realise their internal systems need updating. If discretion is used no more damage should result.

Choice 2. The man is guilty of something morally if not legally wrong. He is on the police radar even if there are no charges brought. The child has learned that she will be believed if something "dodgy" happens and has the faith in her parents to protect her.

Can you imagine finding out later that you should have listened and this disclosure was in fact the tip of the iceberg.

I for one wouldn't have my children there til this was resolved. As for believing our child will resist abuse - yes we all like to believe this. Some of us are right and very very sadly some of us are wrong and it does happen to our child without our knowing and when we thought they'd be able to say no. Theres lots of reasons why they don't/can't.

Last edited by Safin; Aug 26th 2010 at 11:28 pm.
Old Aug 26th 2010, 11:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Safin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond repute

As Dadagain has said, there's no definite confirmation that this guy did do this blowing in mouth thing. His 6 year old daughter said he did and whilst no one is calling her a liar, no one, including the child's father is 100% sure it's happened. and possibly never will be confirmed either way So before you lynch someone, that shouldn't be happening or the chance for it encouraged make sure that a) you have the right someone and b) they are guilty of said crime.
How do you find out if you have the right someone and they are guilty without investigating the claim properly?
Old Aug 26th 2010, 11:34 pm

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

Depends on kid. My eldest would remember an incident three years ago and cannot lie. You may need to dig deep but he is more reliable than most adults and utterly literal.
Adults aren't, why should children be?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.