My Dad

Old Jun 25th 2007, 9:53 am

dreamcatcher is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: My Dad

Hope your dad is feeling better, and you are keeping your spirits up.Warm wishes
Old Aug 16th 2007, 2:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

the4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud of

Hi all,

Just to update you on my dad - I dont know if I mentioned that he was diagnosed with colon and stomach cancer. Anyway, he went to see his consultant today who reckons he has removed all that he could see and doesn't want to see my dad for another 6 months He said the consultant from the cancer ward will be in contact with him shortly to see if he needs any further treatment. My sister (who works at the hospital) said that it will all really depend on what his original consultant has written in his report.

Things are looking to be on the up and maybe when we move he will be able to come visit after all

Lynn xx
Old Aug 16th 2007, 2:51 pm

Sheff_Sparky is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by the4ofus
Hi all,

Just to update you on my dad - I dont know if I mentioned that he was diagnosed with colon and stomach cancer. Anyway, he went to see his consultant today who reckons he has removed all that he could see and doesn't want to see my dad for another 6 months He said the consultant from the cancer ward will be in contact with him shortly to see if he needs any further treatment. My sister (who works at the hospital) said that it will all really depend on what his original consultant has written in his report.

Things are looking to be on the up and maybe when we move he will be able to come visit after all

Lynn xx
great to hear he is on the mend. Good luck with it all.
Old Aug 16th 2007, 2:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Pleased to hear that news... everyone thinks the C word is the end of things, when nowadays people often do so much better than they used to... Hope things continue to improve for him..
Old Aug 17th 2007, 1:06 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,Lynne. I don't know whether you read my thread around the same time you started this one, but my father was diagnosed with colon cancer in June too. He had surgery to remove the tumor and has just started a 30 week course of chemo. At first he wasn't going to bother with treatment but his oncologist told him that age was no barrier and that he still had lots of living to do.
Really hope your father gets a good report from his consultant and does get the chance to come for a visit. It's tough when you're on the opposite side of the globe, isn't it?
Old Aug 17th 2007, 1:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

the4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud of

Hi Dorothy,

Thanks for your kind words. We have not yet moved to Australia, still awaiting the visa but it did make me stop and think if we were doing the right thing. We've come to the conclusion that we are in this for OUR KIDS and hopefully to expand on their knowledge and give them a better life and I'm sure my dad understands all this. At the end of the day we cant hang around waiting on loved ones to die - by that time we will be too old to make the move ourselves (fingers crossed).

Hope your dad gets thru chemo and keeps ok, sending you and best wishes.

Lynn xx
Old Aug 17th 2007, 1:25 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, Lynn. He really seems to be doing fine. He's 87 now, so is really at peace with his diagnosis. I don't think either of my parents expected to live as long as they have. My dad is one of 7 children, 6 of whom died before age 60 and my mother's only sister died at age 65.
I really do agree with you that you have to do what's best for you and yours and that you can't sit back waiting for things to happen to other people. Like the saying goes...There's no time like the present.
Something my Dad's doctors recommended is that all his children get a colonoscopy done as a baseline. If you haven't already booked one, it might be a good time to get on the wait list for one.
If you ever want to chat, just send a PM and we can compare notes.