Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Musicians/bands you think are $hite whilst others think they are the dogs bollocks!

Musicians/bands you think are $hite whilst others think they are the dogs bollocks!

Old Jul 12th 2012, 5:47 am
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Musicians/bands you think are $hite whilst others think they are the dogs bollock

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
hit her where it hurts (Michael Hutchence, shhhh don't tell her I told you)
Old Jul 12th 2012, 5:52 am
Melbourne Rock City

rubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Musicians/bands you think are $hite whilst others think they are the dogs bollock

Muse
Old Jul 12th 2012, 5:53 am
Melbourne Rock City

rubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of light

1/ Coldplay
2/ U2
3/ Coldplay
4/ U2

5/ is a tie between Coldplay and U2
Yes, I agree with you A LOT

Can we add U2 please ?
Old Jul 12th 2012, 5:58 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by coolerkingcooler
You can't include U2, a lot of there stuff must be good as they cover absolutely everybody!
Yes they can, they can include anyone they want to. The main problem with U2 is Bono. Without him they'd be bearable.
Old Jul 12th 2012, 5:59 am
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Abba, Westlife & Take That.
Old Jul 12th 2012, 6:24 am
Melbourne Rock City

T H E E A G L E S ! ! !
Old Jul 12th 2012, 7:22 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Yes they can, they can include anyone they want to. The main problem with U2 is Bono. Without him they'd be bearable.
I dunno, The Edge is just as much full of his own self importance too IMO

Old Jul 12th 2012, 7:30 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Rolling bones,Mick jagger,what a twat
Old Jul 12th 2012, 8:00 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bernieboy
Rolling bones,Mick jagger,what a twat
Yeah same here I suppose. I only liked them with Brian Jones, after that just a bunch of tosspots
Old Jul 12th 2012, 8:02 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I dunno, The Edge is just as much full of his own self importance too IMO

http://youtube.com/watch?v=H8dZwXnMrRU
I've always assumed he was a tool because he saw Bono being treated like some sort of god and felt he wanted some of that as well.
Old Jul 13th 2012, 12:05 am
Melbourne Rock City

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
But only just
Old Jul 13th 2012, 3:21 am
not sure...

RedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DadAgain
I dont doubt I'm playing it wrong - I cant find a way to make it sound musical and have always always struggled more with Bach than any other composers work.... but then to my ears nobody else manages to inject adequate musicality into Bach either! (Possible exception of a few jazz musicians who manage to inject some feeling into otherwise 'dry' material - but then is that still Bach?)

and I did say Mozart to a far far lesse extent. I dont have a problem particularly with Mozart - I just think the adoration is a little OTT.. He produced some OK stuff and there is a kind of purity and simplicity to a lot of his composition that others in the same era didnt quite manage to achieve.... but he did produce some really dull background music too... and music didnt really get expressive and emotional until the Classical ("C" not "c") period was well and truly over.
The beauty of Mozart is that he makes it sound so easy and simple, but a lot of his music is incredibly complex, playing his orchestral stuff was a nightmare! And as for emotional? Have you sung the Requiem? Or many of the other choral pieces...??

I agree that some of the adoration is OTT, people get evangelical about his music (or more about him, coz you know, they've seen Amadeus and feel sorry for him, boo Salieri.. ) but he simply is one of the greatest composers the world has ever known.
Old Jul 13th 2012, 3:37 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by RedT
... Have you sung the Requiem?....
I have played the requiem. Fairly recently too, and for the record I agree that it has some of Mozarts most emotive work.

I also agree the good bit of Mozart is the apparent simplicity - there is a 'cleanness' to Mozart that is not found in anyone elses work. (Perhaps I've overstated the case and including in the title of thread with the word '$hite' is a little harsh - but I stand by 'overrated'!)

But I disagree that its complex. If his orchestral stuff is hard (and I dont share your view there) its because its hard to play such simple music *well*. Its so open and simple that any missed tonal inflexion or clumsy dynamic really stands out....

In terms of complexity and historical significance a slight indicator may be that in the duration of a 3 year degree focusing on Music history I had perhaps a 45 minute lecture on Mozart - a mere fleeting mention - footnotes in passing. By comparison there was at least half a term of analysis of Bach, weeks and weeks of discussing Mahler & Strauss. What felt like most of a year talking about Stravinsky, Schoenberg and a bunch of others in the early 20thC... I'm not saying he wasnt a significant figure - clearly that'd be ridiculous - but he didnt really break the mold at all - he just did Classical very well....and a lot of it....

Greatest composer ever? tough call to make... Personally I'd rate Chopin higher for sheer ability to cut straight to the heart of an emotion - but then you could offer the criticism that Chopin never did ANYTHING apart from Piano so was very narrow in scope.... Mozart at least had output in plenty of different styles....

(I'm, prepared to accept that my views of the Classical period our soured by many many years as a child of being subjected to playing Mozart and Haydn piano sonatas, string quartets and early symphonies.... When I graduated away from teachers stuck in the mid 1700's and discovered Romanticism I THEN discovered the joy, pain, angst, fear and adulation of a full range of emotions that music was capable of communicating and for me - at THAT point music 'clicked').

Last edited by DadAgain; Jul 13th 2012 at 3:47 am.