Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Musicians/bands you think are $hite whilst others think they are the dogs bollocks!

Musicians/bands you think are $hite whilst others think they are the dogs bollocks!

Old Jul 12th 2012, 3:39 am
not sure...

RedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Musicians/bands you think are $hite whilst others think they are the dogs bollock

Originally Posted by DadAgain
Hmmmm.... people I dont rate who are generally highly rated?:

J.S. Bach? Genious - Perhaps, certainly *interesting* music (given his historical context) and very very cerebral.... but I find it emotionless. I'll play Bach from time to time - but in the same way as I'll play scales, arpegios and Kreutzeror Hannon studies and excercises - if it doesnt grab the soul its not Music.... Too much of Bachs music is like complex algebra - intriguing, unquestionably well thoguht out but exhausting to 'think through; without any real emotional pay-off. (I've heard stuffy 'died-in-the-wool' baroque freak musicians claim that I must be a completely uneducated philistine to not realise that Bach *is* god when it comes to music... pfffft)

W.A. Mozart - Far far lesser extent than JSB above - but still I dont get the 'genius' of Mozart beyond that fact that his output was prolific even from a silly young age. Some of his stuff is quite nice... some even moderately powerful - but Mozarts music will never have the emotional pull for me that he clearly manages to evoke in other people.... For me musicians really woke up in the 19th century and started to make *real* MUSIC!

Charlie Parker - Ok so I'm no Sax player... and really no Jazz freak either, but when Miles Davis was being the coolest guy in town and making timelessly awesome cool jazz, Parker (who is revered as a god in the jazz world) - seems to me to be just bubbling away with stuff that spoils the mood.... I guess that "Be-bop" jazz thing just isnt my scene?

.... and then of course plenty of other mentioned above in the thread
Clapton - a LOT of very dull output - but a couple of OK songs over the years. Totaly agree he needed the drugs to do anything even vaguely interesting.
Oasis - Massively overrated in my opinion, far less creative and compelling than their peers Blur, who managed to be quite entertaining.
....could probably think of plenty of others who I regard as a disappointment across a wide variety of styles if I put my mind to it.

Obviously aussie bogan rock is trash - but nobody other than aussie bogans tries to pretend otherwise.....

Bach maybe..although maybe you're playing it wrong...

But Mozart?! Really? *thud*
Old Jul 12th 2012, 3:41 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Musicians/bands you think are $hite whilst others think they are the dogs bollock

Originally Posted by RedT

are you trying to suggest that Mozart had a really big penis?
Old Jul 12th 2012, 3:42 am
not sure...

RedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
are you trying to suggest that Mozart had a really big penis?
Well I couldn't say exactly but by all accounts he knew how to use what he had
Old Jul 12th 2012, 3:50 am
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Bach maybe..although maybe you're playing it wrong...

Stunned at Mozart too.

Used to play to my kids when they were little. They listen to Linkin Park now
Old Jul 12th 2012, 3:52 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scottishcelts
Stunned at Mozart too.

Used to play to my kids when they were little. They listen to Linkin Park now
yeah, but how many top ten hits did he get?
Old Jul 12th 2012, 3:53 am

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

yeah, but how many top ten hits did he get?
He was above all that.

- The Who.
Old Jul 12th 2012, 3:57 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

..Bach maybe..although maybe you're playing it wrong...
I dont doubt I'm playing it wrong - I cant find a way to make it sound musical and have always always struggled more with Bach than any other composers work.... but then to my ears nobody else manages to inject adequate musicality into Bach either! (Possible exception of a few jazz musicians who manage to inject some feeling into otherwise 'dry' material - but then is that still Bach?)

and I did say Mozart to a far far lesse extent. I dont have a problem particularly with Mozart - I just think the adoration is a little OTT.. He produced some OK stuff and there is a kind of purity and simplicity to a lot of his composition that others in the same era didnt quite manage to achieve.... but he did produce some really dull background music too... and music didnt really get expressive and emotional until the Classical ("C" not "c") period was well and truly over.

Last edited by DadAgain; Jul 12th 2012 at 4:27 am.
Old Jul 12th 2012, 4:10 am
My hovercraft is full of

Ballys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to behold

- The Who.
Attached Thumbnails Musicians/bands you think are $hite whilst others think they are the dogs bollocks!-shame-you.jpg  
Old Jul 12th 2012, 4:12 am

Originally Posted by Ballys
They.is.crap. Innit.
Old Jul 12th 2012, 4:26 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by earlybird
And Status Quo doing the Coles ad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdV4pr4frd4
Ok, I now officially hate you. I have that stupid ****ing ad stuck in my head.
Old Jul 12th 2012, 4:31 am
Living in the mountains

earlybird is a name known to allearlybird is a name known to allearlybird is a name known to allearlybird is a name known to allearlybird is a name known to allearlybird is a name known to allearlybird is a name known to allearlybird is a name known to allearlybird is a name known to allearlybird is a name known to allearlybird is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Oops!! Sorry!!

Does get in your head though.
Old Jul 12th 2012, 4:35 am
My hovercraft is full of

Ballys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to behold

They.is.crap. Innit.
Ok I will cover your Who jibe

and raise you Simple Minds

All Sweaty Socks love em

p.s I just googled images sweaty sock....I think I will change my safe search to ON in future

Last edited by Ballys; Jul 12th 2012 at 4:42 am. Reason: Graphic pics on google images
Old Jul 12th 2012, 4:37 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Originally Posted by Dorothy
this'll make it better for you

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-IGPi9zXqc
Old Jul 12th 2012, 4:38 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Originally Posted by Ballys
Ok I will cover your Who jibe

and raise you Simple Minds

All Sweaty Socks love em
hit her where it hurts (Michael Hutchence, shhhh don't tell her I told you)
Old Jul 12th 2012, 4:39 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

this'll make it better for you

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-IGPi9zXqc
Up yours!

Actually I'm at work so don't have any idea what that video is of. YouTube is blocked here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.