Multiculturalism... Do you like it ?

View Poll Results: Do you enjoy multiculturalism
Doesnt bother me
17.65%
Fed up with being bombarded by foreign influence
8.82%
Enjoy seeing and being around people from all walks of life
60.29%
Prefer to enjoy other cultures whilst visiting their countries.
13.24%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Multiculturalism... Do you like it ?

Old Mar 16th 2008, 8:23 am
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all
Default Re: Multiculturalism... Do you like it ?

Originally Posted by chris and farideh
I think Australia is brilliant when it comes to Multiculturalism, on Thursday 20 of March is Iranian/Persian New Year ( Iranian/ Persian is the same thing, just a few dont like to be called Iranian with the troubles happing in my birth country).
This Tuesday which is very special day in our calender, with the support of Gold Coast Council, they are helping out with all Iranian/Persian to have big celebration party, how brilliant is that.
In Most countries they only do big celebration for chinese New year, here they value every culture.
I only found out about it when I went into Gold Coast web site.
Hey Farideh,
Glad you mentioned the Persian/Iranian day as I have a few Iranian friends here on the GC - I can now congratulate them on Tuesday

Dalhousie, what a fantastic post.
Old Mar 16th 2008, 8:44 am
BE Forum Addict

chris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dalhousie
Happy Persian New Year, Chris and Farideh. I must admit I was unaware of a Persian New Year (what year is it on your calandar anyway).

Hope the day goes well and that the upcoming year brings you peace and happiness.
Its not the New year until Thursday 20 of March at 04:48:19 PM in Australia, so time be different depends which part of the world you are, which would become the first day of Spring & that's what we celebrate, its not religious, if you are Iranian regardless of your religion you celebrate it.

The official Iranian year would be 2557, but unofficial one which is run by the Islamic Republic is sadly would be 1387, we've got to go with that one as they are running the country sadly.

Last edited by chris and farideh; Mar 16th 2008 at 9:12 am.
Old Mar 16th 2008, 9:32 am
Account Closed

Machiavelli is an unknown quantity at this point

I think Australia is brilliant when it comes to Multiculturalism, on Thursday 20 of March is Iranian/Persian New Year ( Iranian/ Persian is the same thing, just a few dont like to be called Iranian with the troubles happing in my birth country).
This Tuesday which is very special day in our calender, with the support of Gold Coast Council, they are helping out with all Iranian/Persian to have big celebration party, how brilliant is that.
In Most countries they only do big celebration for chinese New year, here they value every culture.

That's one of the things I like most about Australia, the fact that people can celebrate their heritage without fear of repercussion (in most areas).

We went into Brisbane yesterday to watch the St Patrick's Day Parade, it was lovely to see all the shades of green walking through the city.

I'd love to see how you celebrate Persian New Year, but it's a school day and too far to come down to the Gold Coast during school hours to see. Also, I like my lad to see how other cultures celebrate. You'll have to let us all know when the Persian New Year is going to fall on a weekend day so that we can get there another time.

Do you know why it's being held at the GC rather than in the city? Are there more Persians on the GC?

Hope you and your family have a brilliant day!

Happy New Year when it comes around

M
Old Mar 16th 2008, 9:47 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Machiavelli
That's one of the things I like most about Australia, the fact that people can celebrate their heritage without fear of repercussion (in most areas).

We went into Brisbane yesterday to watch the St Patrick's Day Parade, it was lovely to see all the shades of green walking through the city.

I'd love to see how you celebrate Persian New Year, but it's a school day and too far to come down to the Gold Coast during school hours to see. Also, I like my lad to see how other cultures celebrate. You'll have to let us all know when the Persian New Year is going to fall on a weekend day so that we can get there another time.

Do you know why it's being held at the GC rather than in the city? Are there more Persians on the GC?

Hope you and your family have a brilliant day!

Happy New Year when it comes around

M
Different council areas. If Gold Coast Council are sponsoring it they wouldn't hod it in the city, they'd want it on their own turf
Old Mar 16th 2008, 9:50 am
BE Enthusiast

saveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to behold

I think that multi-culturalism only 'works' as long as all the particpants play be the same 'rules'.

It also works in Australia and Britain because most Aussies and Brits are more,not less tolerant of other cultures.
Old Mar 16th 2008, 10:00 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Multiculturalism... Do you like it ?

I'm all for multiculturalism. I love the fact that my nation's identity and culture is not based purely on one single race, culture or ethnic group. I love the diversity.

Farideh, are you Zoroastrian?

Last edited by Vash the Stampede; Mar 16th 2008 at 10:02 am.
Old Mar 16th 2008, 10:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Nickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of light

I have absolutly no problem with multiculturism, i have friends that are polish, african, indian,chinese, british.

But im sorry, what i object to is walking down the high street to be pleaded with to buy the big issue from several romanians.

I know that we are migrating to oz but we have had, like everyone else on here, extensive medicals, police checks, skills assesments, the knowledge that we have to work when we get there, we have had to sign a declaration (state sponseres) to promise to take a certain amount of money to support us and our families.

Teenagers arent getting their BCG's here anymore but i have spoken to people recently who have had immigrants working on their husbands building sites and they are coughing up blood...TB?????

My sister lived in an 11th floor flat in erith with 2 small children, but when erith council built more houses she was refused one because the immigrants wouldnt accept a flat!!

So while im all for immigrants coming in and are willing to work and integrate with the community and provide for their families etc etc. i do object to the ones coming in and just waiting in line for their hand out.

Im not going to apologise for my opinion and sure someone will have something to quote me on!

Nickie
Old Mar 16th 2008, 10:07 am
Account Closed

Machiavelli is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Different council areas. If Gold Coast Council are sponsoring it they wouldn't hod it in the city, they'd want it on their own turf
It's a shame though that they couldn't do anything over a weekend period so that more people could take part.

Not that I would expect it only to be celebrated to suit the masses, but the St Patrick's Day in the city is over three days, ending on St Patrick's Day.

Chinese New Year is over a week long period so we always get to see at least one part of the Chinese celebration.

When we lived in the CBD we went to every parade there was, it was a great way to start our new life in Australia.

We try to get to as many of the different celebrations we can so that we can see who else is living here and try to find out as much as we can about the differing cultures here.

M
Old Mar 16th 2008, 10:10 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nickie And Kev
I have absolutly no problem with multiculturism, i have friends that are polish, african, indian,chinese, british.

But im sorry, what i object to is walking down the high street to be pleaded with to buy the big issue from several romanians.

I know that we are migrating to oz but we have had, like everyone else on here, extensive medicals, police checks, skills assesments, the knowledge that we have to work when we get there, we have had to sign a declaration (state sponseres) to promise to take a certain amount of money to support us and our families.

Teenagers arent getting their BCG's here anymore but i have spoken to people recently who have had immigrants working on their husbands building sites and they are coughing up blood...TB?????

My sister lived in an 11th floor flat in erith with 2 small children, but when erith council built more houses she was refused one because the immigrants wouldnt accept a flat!!

So while im all for immigrants coming in and are willing to work and integrate with the community and provide for their families etc etc. i do object to the ones coming in and just waiting in line for their hand out.

Im not going to apologise for my opinion and sure someone will have something to quote me on!

Nickie
Ok, I'll quote you. Cut directly from the Home Office web page.

Bulgarian and Romanian nationals
This page explains the restrictions that are in place on Bulgarian and Romanian nationals taking employment in the United Kingdom.

If you are a Bulgarian or Romanian national you are free to come to the United Kingdom to live. You will need to be able to support yourself and family in the United Kingdom without the help of public funds.
If you want to work as an employee in the United Kingdom you will need our permission before you start work. Details of the type of work you can take and how to apply for permission to work can be found in the Bulgarian and Romanian nationals section.

Once you have been working legally as an employee in the United Kingdom for 12 months without a break you will have full rights of free movement and will no longer need our permission to take work. You can then get a registration certificate confirming your right to live and work in the United Kingdom, although you are not obliged to do so. Details on how to apply for registration certificate can be found on the applying page.

You do not need our permission if you are working in a self-employed capacity. However, you can apply for a registration certificate to confirm your right to work as a self-employed person in the United Kingdom if you wish. More details can be found on the applying page.

If you are a student in the United Kingdom, you may engage in employment for up to 20 hours a week during term time and full time work during vacation periods from your course but you must first obtain a registration certificate confirming that you are a student. More details can be found on the applying page.

Public funds are income-related benefits paid by the state. They include income support, income-based job seekers allowance, housing and homelessness assistance, housing and council tax benefit, working families' tax credit, a social fund payment, child benefit and any disability allowance. Benefits paid as a result of contributions, such as the state pension, are not considered to be public funds. Social housing is not considered to be a public fund either. Claiming public funds when you are not eligible is known as benefit fraud and it is a criminal offence.

Applying under European law
This page explains how you and your family members can apply for a registration certificate, a residence card, family member residence stamp or confirmation of permanent residence in the United Kingdom if you are a European Economic Area (EEA) or Swiss national.

Registration certificates
A registration certificate is a document issued to EEA nationals that confirms that person's right of residence under European law. You are not required to have a registration certificate to enter, live or work in the United Kingdom.

If you are a national of Bulgaria, the Czech Republic, Estonia, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Romania, Slovakia or Slovenia you are not eligible to apply for a registration certificate until you have completed 12 months continuous employment in the United Kingdom.Applications for a registration certificate should be made using application form EEA1. This can be downloaded from the right side of this page.

Residence cards
Family members who come to the United Kingdom with an EEA national but who are not themselves a national of an EEA country can apply for a residence card, with some exceptions (see Family member residence stamp). The card confirms that person's right of residence under European law. Residence cards are normally valid for five years and take the form of an endorsement that is placed in the holder's passport.

Applications for a residence card should be made using application form EEA2. This can be downloaded from the right side of this page.

Family member residence stamp
Residence cards are not immediately available to all family members. Family members who are not themselves nationals of an EEA country and who are in the United Kingdom with a national of Bulgaria, the Czech Republic, Estonia, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Romania, Slovakia or Slovenia are not eligible to apply for a residence card until the national of those countries has been employed continuously in the United Kingdom for 12 months. Until the 12 months is completed, a family member who is not an EEA national can apply for a family member residence stamp to confirm his/her right of residence under European law.

Applications for a family member residence stamp should be made using application form FMRS. This can be downloaded from the right side of this page.

Permanent residence
After you have lived in the United Kingdom for a continuous period of five years you can apply for confirmation of your permanent residence. You will need to have been living in the United Kingdom and in employment, self-employment, studying or self-sufficient throughout the five year period.

For your residence in the United Kingdom to be considered continuous you should not be absent from the United Kingdom for more than six months each year. Longer absences for compulsory military service will not affect your residence. Additionally, a single absence of a maximum of 12 months for important reasons such as pregnancy, child birth, serious illness, study, vocational training or posting overseas will not affect your residence.

EEA and Swiss nationals will be issued with a document that confirms they are permanent residents in the United Kingdom. This document has no expiry date. Applications by EEA and Swiss nationals should be made using application form EEA3. This can be downloaded from the right side of this page.

Non-EEA nationals will be issued with an endorsement that is placed in the holder's passport. This endorsement is valid for 10 years. Applications from non-EEA nationals should be made using application form EEA4. This can be downloaded from the right side of this page.

Making an application
There is no charge for applications under European law. You should make sure you use the correct application form. All application forms are available on the right side of this page.

The application forms contain details of all the information that you must supply to support your application. You must send the original documentation with your completed application form.

From 25 February 2008, completed EEA1 application forms should be sent to:

Home Office
PO Box 306
Dept 45
Liverpool
L2 0QN

All other completed application forms should be sent to:

European Applications
Border and Immigration Agency
Lunar House
40 Wellesley Road
Croydon
CR9 2BY

Applications for registration certificates from EEA nationals can be made in person at our public enquiry office in Croydon. You will need to make an appointment before you visit. Details of the location of the public enquiry office, opening times and how to make an appointment can be found in the contact us section.

Processing times
The time it takes to process your application will depend on the type of application you make and how you submit it.

If you make your application in person at Croydon public enquiry office, we will usually process your application on the same day.

The table below shows the dates of postal application we are currently processing.

Type of application All applications received prior to the date below are now under consideration
Registration certificate applications January 2008
Residence card October 2007
Permanent residence (EEA nationals) January 2008
Permanent residence (non-EEA nationals) November 2007
Family member residence stamp January 2008

Transfer of residence card or stamp
If you are issued with a new passport and want your residence card or family member residence stamp transferred you will need to make a new application. You should complete the appropriate application form and provide the required supporting documentation.

Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Irish Republic, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, United Kingdom. Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway are not members of the European Union (EU) but citizens of these countries have the same rights to enter, live in and work in the United Kingdom as EU citizens.

The links for immigration to the UK are here.

Last edited by Dorothy; Mar 16th 2008 at 10:14 am.
Old Mar 16th 2008, 10:15 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Multiculturalism... Do you like it ?

Originally Posted by Dorothy
If you are a Bulgarian or Romanian national you are free to come to the United Kingdom to live. You will need to be able to support yourself and family in the United Kingdom without the help of public funds.

[...]

Public funds are income-related benefits paid by the state. They include income support, income-based job seekers allowance, housing and homelessness assistance, housing and council tax benefit, working families' tax credit, a social fund payment, child benefit and any disability allowance.

Benefits paid as a result of contributions, such as the state pension, are not considered to be public funds. Social housing is not considered to be a public fund either. Claiming public funds when you are not eligible is known as benefit fraud and it is a criminal offence.
So they can get housing, but not paid benefits. Interesting.

I think it's a bad idea to provide housing, since it places a heavy strain on the services and increases resentment amongst the local population. People should be encouraged to pay their own way when they come over here, just like I had to do.
Old Mar 16th 2008, 10:21 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede

I think it's a bad idea to provide housing, since it places a heavy strain on the services and increases resentment amongst the local population. People should be encouraged to pay their own way when they come over here, just like I had to do.
We wanted to apply for UK before we looked at Australia, but didn't qualify since we couldn't show enough assets to prove we could support ourselves should be be unemployed for any length of time.
Old Mar 16th 2008, 10:23 am
NO ADDED SUGAR

I_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede

I think they still have to pay for it, they are just entitled to apply to live in "social housing".
Old Mar 16th 2008, 10:31 am
Still alive

Originally Posted by I_Will_Freckle
I think they still have to pay for it, they are just entitled to apply to live in "social housing".
You're right. They still have to pay rent, but it is just lowered like for anyone else who can't afford full price.
Old Mar 16th 2008, 10:38 am
Fighting my corner

Smile Re: Multiculturalism... Do you like it ?

Originally Posted by Dorothy
We wanted to apply for UK before we looked at Australia, but didn't qualify since we couldn't show enough assets to prove we could support ourselves should be be unemployed for any length of time.
I had to do the same thing when I came to the UK on my ancestry visa.

I had to accept that I would have no access to public funds, and I had to show that I had savings of around $5,000 to support myself during period of unemployment.

This was only possible because I sold my house and bought a cheap investment property, which gave me enough money to pay off my debts and leave some cash in the bank.

Last edited by Vash the Stampede; Mar 16th 2008 at 10:42 am.
Old Mar 16th 2008, 10:41 am
Fighting my corner

Lightbulb Re: Multiculturalism... Do you like it ?

Originally Posted by I_Will_Freckle
That's good news, but it still creates a problem for the local areas in which social housing is already under pressure.

I think more consideration should be given to the socio-economic side-effects.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.