Multiculturalism... Do you like it ?

View Poll Results: Do you enjoy multiculturalism
Doesnt bother me
17.65%
Fed up with being bombarded by foreign influence
8.82%
Enjoy seeing and being around people from all walks of life
60.29%
Prefer to enjoy other cultures whilst visiting their countries.
13.24%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Multiculturalism... Do you like it ?

Old Mar 16th 2008, 12:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Multiculturalism... Do you like it ?

Someone on the Hervey bay thread, said they were fed up with Multiculturalism. For some reason that surprised me. Personally I love being around other cultures. It's possibly the biggest drawcard that the region I live in has. Whenever I visit another area that doesn't have varied cuisine, and ethnic shops, I get very toey. To me it feels like a huge chunk of life is missing if only one cultures lifestyle is dominant. Thats probably why I dislike being in a country town for more than a few days.

Mind you everyone is different, thats what makes the world go round, However I'd like to hear the reasons why someone would be fed up with Multiculturalism, because honestly I cannot think of any. BTW anyone that doesn't like MC would definitely hate being in the Northern Subs of Melbourne.

I dont want this thread to turn into something nasty, but I would love to be educated as to why someone wouldn't like as many influences in their life as possible.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Mar 16th 2008 at 12:06 am.
Old Mar 16th 2008, 2:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Multiculturalism... Do you like it ?

I like food.
I like people.

It seems to me that people could only distrust people from different cultures if
i) They think they don't share anything in common
ii) They don't understand culture and practises (the big R word)
ii) They worry that it will undermine their own culture.

i) Is fair enough. I would worry if a band of ferals moved in.
ii) Can be dealt with by education
iii) Is perfectly valid but may not happen.

It depends then, and to use your Melbourne example,

Seem to me that N Melbourne benefits from it, but other parts of Melbourne doesn't as it creates whole ghettos. But then there are ''ghettos'' of people sharing like minded interests everywhere(!)

All in all a good thing, but case by case can understand why some are scared.
Old Mar 16th 2008, 2:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
I like food.
I like people.

It seems to me that people could only distrust people from different cultures if
i) They think they don't share anything in common
ii) They don't understand culture and practises (the big R word)
ii) They worry that it will undermine their own culture.

i) Is fair enough. I would worry if a band of ferals moved in.
ii) Can be dealt with by education
iii) Is perfectly valid but may not happen.

It depends then, and to use your Melbourne example,

Seem to me that N Melbourne benefits from it, but other parts of Melbourne doesn't as it creates whole ghettos. But then there are ''ghettos'' of people sharing like minded interests everywhere(!)

All in all a good thing, but case by case can understand why some are scared.
Totally agree with all your points Badge, those Ghettos you talk about are basically monocultural places, where one culture dominates the other, and the sort of place I tend to avoid.
Old Mar 16th 2008, 2:18 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Totally agree with all your points Badge, those Ghettos you talk about are basically monocultural places, where one culture dominates the other, and the sort of place I tend to avoid.
Like mornington?
Old Mar 16th 2008, 2:42 am

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

If everyone had to marry someone from a different culture eventually there would be no such thing, just one big culture and maybe less hassle world wide.

Cultures are just a bigger form of clubs/gangs/team supporters with all the hassle that goes with them of my gangs bigger or better than yours etc..

Someone on the Hervey bay thread, said they were fed up with Multiculturalism. For some reason that surprised me. Personally I love being around other cultures. It's possibly the biggest drawcard that the region I live in has. Whenever I visit another area that doesn't have varied cuisine, and ethnic shops, I get very toey. To me it feels like a huge chunk of life is missing if only one cultures lifestyle is dominant. Thats probably why I dislike being in a country town for more than a few days.

Mind you everyone is different, thats what makes the world go round, However I'd like to hear the reasons why someone would be fed up with Multiculturalism, because honestly I cannot think of any. BTW anyone that doesn't like MC would definitely hate being in the Northern Subs of Melbourne.

I dont want this thread to turn into something nasty, but I would love to be educated as to why someone wouldn't like as many influences in their life as possible.

Old Mar 16th 2008, 2:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't vote for it, but there is something to be said for the option:

Prefer to enjoy other cultures whilst visiting their countries

Isn't that half the thrill of going abroad? Imagine if we all reach the utopia of a multicultural society in all nations, then a visit to a Mcdonalds or KFC in Beijing would be exactly the same as visiting one in Brisbane.... oh hang on

Vive la difference!

JTL

Last edited by JackTheLad; Mar 16th 2008 at 2:57 am.
Old Mar 16th 2008, 2:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Lets face it, the real problem is if the monoculture happens to be low-socioeconomic.

Noone minds living in the leafy elite Surrey commuter belts full of (mainly) middle class white people do they.

Noone minds living in leafy Toorak. Ditto.

People worry about living in white trash areas.

People worry more about living in poorer trash areas, AND not being able to share a common culture or background or language.

So it's not multiculturalism that is the issue, and most people who tout it's advantages tend to live in areas where the standard of living is relatively high for all.

It's relative poverty and decline in standards of living that it is the issue combined with ignorance, stress and tension. Often the stress is amongst marginalised migrants themselves and not ''main-stream'' groups.
Old Mar 16th 2008, 4:42 am
Forum Regular

dalhousie is a name known to alldalhousie is a name known to alldalhousie is a name known to alldalhousie is a name known to alldalhousie is a name known to alldalhousie is a name known to alldalhousie is a name known to alldalhousie is a name known to alldalhousie is a name known to alldalhousie is a name known to alldalhousie is a name known to all

Feel I have to put my two bobs worth in here as I have been in Oz for over 50 years and experienced my own and others immigration problems from the early fifties. I’ll tell you how I see it, but its only my point of view:

You are all aware of the incomers in Britain, it’s a huge problem there I believe. What you now have to realise is, that all of you who post on this board are part of, or plan to be part of, the Australian multicultural scene, This is Australia, you should regard it as a foreign country, it is not a sunny County of Great Britain it’s a Pacific Rim country and its virtually part of Asia. The Australian countryside is different, the customs are different, the way of life is different, the people are different, and you ARE part of the immigration scene. You have to fit in with the Aussie way of living; the Aussies do not have to change for you. Sorry if that’s hard to swallow, but it’s a fact.

Regarding multiculturism it has been going on in Oz for 55 plus years, it goes something like this. In the fifties it was the Brits, the Italians, and the Greeks etc. Even they settled in so called ghettos. When you arrive in a new country is it natural to hang out where there are people like you. It’s comfortable and safe to identify with your own kind. The first generation of immigrants can be introverted and unsettled something a number of you have now doubt experienced. It’s difficult for a newcomer, but like you, most of them hang in there and cope, hoping for a better life for their children.

The second generation can find the settlement even more difficult, they have feet in two camps. One is loyalty to their parents, and to their perceived “home” country and the other having to be part of the Aussie scene but having problems dealing with these conflicts. This seems to be the cause of most of the young gang trouble in Oz. Fortunately however the majority of the Aussies are very welcoming (after all we’ve all been immigrants ourselves at one time). The Aussies authorities are aware that this can happen it has been happening for half a century. But they try and do something about it, and the police and local systems work with community leaders to “sort things out” An example would be the riots last year at the Sydney beaches. The leaders of the different groups got together, and came up with some sort of plan that helped both groups understand each other. We now have young Muslim men and women patrolling the beach as fully qualified Surf Life Savers. Not a bad effort I think. Things aren’t perfect yet but definitely on the improve.

We went through the same sort of thing with the Vietnamese in the 70’s though I must say the Vietnamese slotted very quickly into the Australian way of life. The troubles with the young Muslim men are being worked through at present. The problems that will arise in the future will be with young Sudanese and other African immigrants. I have no doubt that these differences will be overcome too with effort and a little time, Honestly there was the same trouble with the Brits, the Italians and the Greeks in the 50's and 60’s it sorted itself out in a few years and really only affected the gangs themselves. I bet that the majority of these gang members have settled down to be upright citizens who have added a wealth of cultural mix to the community, and hopefully the new immigrants will do the same.

The third generation, well they’re Aussies mate.

PS I love multiculturism
Old Mar 16th 2008, 5:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by dalhousie
Feel I have to put my two bobs worth in here as I have been in Oz for over 50 years and experienced my own and others immigration problems from the early fifties. I’ll tell you how I see it, but its only my point of view:

You are all aware of the incomers in Britain, it’s a huge problem there I believe. What you now have to realise is, that all of you who post on this board are part of, or plan to be part of, the Australian multicultural scene, This is Australia, you should regard it as a foreign country, it is not a sunny County of Great Britain it’s a Pacific Rim country and its virtually part of Asia. The Australian countryside is different, the customs are different, the way of life is different, the people are different, and you ARE part of the immigration scene. You have to fit in with the Aussie way of living; the Aussies do not have to change for you. Sorry if that’s hard to swallow, but it’s a fact.

Regarding multiculturism it has been going on in Oz for 55 plus years, it goes something like this. In the fifties it was the Brits, the Italians, and the Greeks etc. Even they settled in so called ghettos. When you arrive in a new country is it natural to hang out where there are people like you. It’s comfortable and safe to identify with your own kind. The first generation of immigrants can be introverted and unsettled something a number of you have now doubt experienced. It’s difficult for a newcomer, but like you, most of them hang in there and cope, hoping for a better life for their children.

The second generation can find the settlement even more difficult, they have feet in two camps. One is loyalty to their parents, and to their perceived “home” country and the other having to be part of the Aussie scene but having problems dealing with these conflicts. This seems to be the cause of most of the young gang trouble in Oz. Fortunately however the majority of the Aussies are very welcoming (after all we’ve all been immigrants ourselves at one time). The Aussies authorities are aware that this can happen it has been happening for half a century. But they try and do something about it, and the police and local systems work with community leaders to “sort things out” An example would be the riots last year at the Sydney beaches. The leaders of the different groups got together, and came up with some sort of plan that helped both groups understand each other. We now have young Muslim men and women patrolling the beach as fully qualified Surf Life Savers. Not a bad effort I think. Things aren’t perfect yet but definitely on the improve.

We went through the same sort of thing with the Vietnamese in the 70’s though I must say the Vietnamese slotted very quickly into the Australian way of life. The troubles with the young Muslim men are being worked through at present. The problems that will arise in the future will be with young Sudanese and other African immigrants. I have no doubt that these differences will be overcome too with effort and a little time, Honestly there was the same trouble with the Brits, the Italians and the Greeks in the 50's and 60’s it sorted itself out in a few years and really only affected the gangs themselves. I bet that the majority of these gang members have settled down to be upright citizens who have added a wealth of cultural mix to the community, and hopefully the new immigrants will do the same.

The third generation, well they’re Aussies mate.

PS I love multiculturism

Fantastic post, thanks for your insightful views.
Old Mar 16th 2008, 5:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Excellent post Dalhousie!

Let us hope for the third generation Aussies!
Old Mar 16th 2008, 6:11 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Totally agree. Excellent post - and it completely reinforces what I've noticed during my 28-odd years here.

It's well-known that it takes three generations to fully integrate. As Dalhousie stated, new arrivals stick together in their ghettos, their Aussie-born kids have a hard time trying to keep a foot in both camps but their grandchildren reap all the benefits.

However, you'd expect that British migrants would integrate just a little bit sooner, bearing in mind that they don't have that much of a culture difference and there are no language issues.
Old Mar 16th 2008, 6:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by NickyC

However, you'd expect that British migrants would integrate just a little bit sooner, bearing in mind that they don't have that much of a culture difference and there are no language issues.
People say Australia is nothing like the UK. Well I say it is more like the UK than many others!
Old Mar 16th 2008, 6:15 am
BE Forum Addict

chris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond repute

I think Australia is brilliant when it comes to Multiculturalism, on Thursday 20 of March is Iranian/Persian New Year ( Iranian/ Persian is the same thing, just a few dont like to be called Iranian with the troubles happing in my birth country).
This Tuesday which is very special day in our calender, with the support of Gold Coast Council, they are helping out with all Iranian/Persian to have big celebration party, how brilliant is that.
In Most countries they only do big celebration for chinese New year, here they value every culture.
I only found out about it when I went into Gold Coast web site.
Old Mar 16th 2008, 6:28 am
Forum Regular

dalhousie is a name known to alldalhousie is a name known to alldalhousie is a name known to alldalhousie is a name known to alldalhousie is a name known to alldalhousie is a name known to alldalhousie is a name known to alldalhousie is a name known to alldalhousie is a name known to alldalhousie is a name known to alldalhousie is a name known to all

Happy Persian New Year, Chris and Farideh. I must admit I was unaware of a Persian New Year (what year is it on your calandar anyway).

Hope the day goes well and that the upcoming year brings you peace and happiness.
Old Mar 16th 2008, 7:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Pootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond repute

I love the multiculturalism in Melbourne! Have so many friends who are from Greek/Italian families in our area. At work I see people from Macedonia, Greece, Italy etc. It's a fantastic mix, couldn't live anywhere else now!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.