Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

The BE Most Selfish Visitor - 2008

The BE Most Selfish Visitor - 2008

Old May 31st 2008, 3:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

minibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud of
Default Re: The BE Most Selfish Visitor - 2008

Originally Posted by SunshineGirl
Well, to redress the balance a bit - not all visitors are ungrateful!

Our Mums have been over twice now for 3 weeks a piece and have fallen over themselves to help.

They did all our (and their) washing, ironing, dishwashing, hoovering, tidying up even weeding the garden. They insisted on treating us to meals out, flowers and both times they have bought plants for the garden.

On the few days when we had to work, they took themselves off to the local shopping mall and spent hours window shopping but still managed to buy us little presents.

When they left, they stripped their beds, washed and ironed the bedlinen and then left two lovely-hand written letters of thanks for us.

They'll be invited back! Oh and we did manage to do a load of sightseeing as well.
Has she ever been interested in visiting the east coast she can come and stay with me Sounds like your experience is better than most, we will be staying with my brother when we first arrive so now i know what not to do

minibelle
Old May 31st 2008, 8:46 pm
Forum Regular

boredbrit is just really niceboredbrit is just really niceboredbrit is just really niceboredbrit is just really niceboredbrit is just really niceboredbrit is just really niceboredbrit is just really niceboredbrit is just really nice

A cousin of mine from Oz came to stay with us in 1983'ish, completely made himslef at home for a year and his surfy mate..................
Repaid the favour in 1991 and they HATED it and HATED us..............
Old Jun 1st 2008, 5:23 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

I am amazed/shocked/disgusted what I have read, isn't it funny how these people never bothered in the UK but now suddenly you have them as 'mates'.

Well I have opened a PO BOX where I live and I now give that address out. Only my Dad has my address and everyone else can shit off.

Why is it family think that they can do that? I had someone suggest that their teen stay with me for their gap year, yeah right! There are loads of hostels in Freo they can bloody well stay there.
Old Jun 1st 2008, 8:25 am
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
I am amazed/shocked/disgusted what I have read, isn't it funny how these people never bothered in the UK but now suddenly you have them as 'mates'.

Well I have opened a PO BOX where I live and I now give that address out. Only my Dad has my address and everyone else can shit off.

Why is it family think that they can do that? I had someone suggest that their teen stay with me for their gap year, yeah right! There are loads of hostels in Freo they can bloody well stay there.
This is one of the funniest, saddiest and more repulsive threads I have had reads in ages

Well done PP and all who have contributed.

Bring them on, they are making my own experiences of tosser guests seem 'just the norm'.
Old Jun 1st 2008, 9:01 am
NO ADDED SUGAR

I_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
I had someone suggest that their teen stay with me for their gap year, yeah right! There are loads of hostels in Freo they can bloody well stay there.
We've already been nominated to host gap years for not one but two nieces. Thing is one of them is adorable and the other one is a little brat that I can hardly stand for an hour never mind a year.
Old Jun 1st 2008, 10:39 am
Forum Regular

Sheilas Wheels has a spectacular aura aboutSheilas Wheels has a spectacular aura aboutSheilas Wheels has a spectacular aura about

Well, where do I start!! Been in our new house, less than a week, daughter just had operation and the next day the 'outlaws' arrive!

I cooked for them, (MIL never said thank you, only 'that will do' - bloody cheek! (beers, wine etc supplied for 3 weeks they donated $50 which is more of an insult. Never so much as offered to help! and yes I did drop many hints!! Just kept saying how lovely it was here and that they would be back for 5 weeks at Christmas! - not at my place!!

FIL sat outside smoking every morning from 6am until late at night - he taught my 4 year old how to do roll ups!!! Jesus! She sent postcards telling rest of the family to 'get out here asap, its a great all inclusive!!' No I did not shed a tear when they left!! Bloody hard work!!
Old Jun 1st 2008, 1:17 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Showing your child how to do roll ups? I would be ******* fuming

I think we should all come up with an emergency plan to deal with unwanted visitors/outlaws and fair weathered friends.

1. Buy a shed, make sure the shed can hold two camp beds, kettle, small fridge and other such essential items.

in your own throne.

3. Make the shed look like a beach hut and even place a framed photograph of you and your family posing outside the house like a typical 'all American loving family'.

4. Leave a list of rules and regulations and the nearest fire escape in a leather wallet like they do in hotels.

5. Get heaps of tourist info including restaurants/tours etc and place in wallet so that there is no excuse for them not helping themselves.

6. Tell them you can organise a hire car for them but you will need THEIR credit card in order to secure it.

7. Tell them that basic supplies are provided for the first couple of days but you have kindly provided them with the opening times of the nearest Coles/Woolworths with one of those money off brochures if they buy two jars of Vegemite.

8. Tell them that athough the newly named 'Beach Shack' (AKA shed in your garden that would normally kennel the Blue Heeler) is usually $50 a night, you are more than happy for them to have it for nothing.

9. Tell them that the deluxe accommodation (your house) is fully booked for the next 12 years and then get your Blue Heeler dog to lie on a nice cushion in front of the patio door in a bid to demonstrate just how nice the 'luxury apartment is'.

10. If they complain about the 'Beach Shack', tell them that is all you have but you could also hand out the nearest holiday apartment about 50kms from you if they would like or they could stay in the cold 'Beach Shack' with two camp beds and a portaloo for free and who needs a TV when they have your Blue Heeler dog smiling back from the comfort of your home.

Finally, never give in - remember once you allow these animals access to your home you will lose it forever. They will eat your food, sleep in your bed, take your hospitality and take the piss out of it and knowing your luck, they will nick your Blue Heeler dog as well. (providing you have a Blue Heeler dog, if not just get one).

You have been warned, so get your butts to Bunnings and start building your 'Beach Shack for Bastards'

Last edited by Cheetah7; Jun 1st 2008 at 1:20 pm.
Old Jun 1st 2008, 1:31 pm
Account Closed

Machiavelli is an unknown quantity at this point

My post, copied from Haggis Supper's thread on ungrateful guests......

Hi!

I've been reading this thread from the start.

We've had visitors here over the four years we've been here, and been back to the UK a few times too.

When our friends and family come out here to visit us, they pitch in with cooking, housework, laundry, garden wise. But, we pay for all food, any days out, accommodation for 'holidays' to GC and SC. They've all paid for flights, accommodation etc to Sydney, Melbourne, split meal bills when we eat out, but we think that if our friends and family have paid out to come here to see us that the least we can do is foot the bill for 'ordinary' expenses. On saying that, when we go back to UK, we expect them to accommodate and feed us.

Horses for courses. Maybe we are just amongst the lucky few.

I have met people here who have ex colleagues turn up, one on Christmas Eve last year, who expected to be fed and watered for nowt. One girl who spoke to me was distraught because they found it hard enough to feed their family!

One of my friends here has her Mum and Dad out just now. A couple of months ago her Mum told her that one of her son's friends (my friend's brother's ?friend?) had called her to say that he had just found out that she, (my friend's Mum) had booked a holiday to Australia, WITHOUT CHECKING IF HE WANTED TO BE ON HOLIDAY AT THE SAME TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My friend's Mum apologised and said, "Next time I'm thinking of going to see MY daughter I'll check with you first!"

I guess my moral here is, if they are your friends, REAL FRIENDS, you will feed and accommodate them since they have paid GBP+000 to visit you, their friend, if they are acquaintances why are you accepting them into your home?

M
Old Jun 1st 2008, 1:42 pm

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

I have just had friends say ooh now you have an apartment near the beach can we come to stay! I said you will be welcome to stay for a weekend but as I'm crippled now I can't care for you and 2 days would be the maximum really, you would have to book accomodation elsewhere.

They were very apologetic as it made them stop and think for a bit but agreed that they would look after me and would book accomodation for their holiday just spend 2 days visiting with us either at the start or end of their holiday, they are also aware we have no car so we wouldnt be picking up from the airport.
Old Jun 1st 2008, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by asher
I have just had friends say ooh now you have an apartment near the beach can we come to stay! I said you will be welcome to stay for a weekend but as I'm crippled now I can't care for you and 2 days would be the maximum really, you would have to book accomodation elsewhere.

They were very apologetic as it made them stop and think for a bit but agreed that they would look after me and would book accomodation for their holiday just spend 2 days visiting with us either at the start or end of their holiday, they are also aware we have no car so we wouldnt be picking up from the airport.
My best friend is coming for a month in October and I cant wait. We have known each other since we were 16 years old and we dont need to explain to one another about our feelings - we just know.

There are no expectations, no need for conversation at times we just enjoy each others company.

I can't wait - it will be uncomplicated and easy.

But otherwise I am circulating the words 'We are not a guest house so please do not be offended when we direct you to the nearest holiday apartments' and then I shall give them the websites.

Old Jun 1st 2008, 2:04 pm
Account Closed

The only immediate relatives we have here are in Sydney. SIL has very lovely family in Gladstone,who have invited us there, no cost, they have stayed with us 3 times since our arrival here.

When we arrived 4 years ago, our Sydney relatives came and picked us up from the airport, and we stayed with them for 3 days before coming to Brisbane.

We now live in Brisbane, and go to Sydney, at least once a year to visit. We always book accommodation in the tourist area and we visit them in the suburbs, they meet up with us at our hotel, or we meet at one of Sydney's beaches.

Now, after 4 years here, we have booked a hotel to stay in, to be able to see the Fireworks at New Year. We will stay with BIL's family for 3 days, after agreeing that this is okay with them, and then move to our hotel accommodation for 4 nights. They will come to our hotel to see the fireworks on NYE, and we will smuggle them in to sleep on the floor of our hotel room!

It's all a case of give and take. We don't take too much from our friends and family, and they don't take too much from us.

I, personally, would pay any amount to have our friends and family share some of our time here, but they do repay in kind, a thousand times over. Maybe we are just born lucky!

M

Last edited by Machiavelli; Jun 1st 2008 at 2:08 pm.
Old Jun 1st 2008, 2:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

docgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nice

hi all been enjoying this thread alot,

im coming over for a reccie soon !!!

anyone to put me up for a few weeks, maybe a month??

im a smoker, i drink, i pick my nose and belch a lot,

im a fussy eater and enjoy very late nights.

i will have no transport so could do with borrowing some when im there?

also i wont have much money to bring out with me

see you all soon

doc
Old Jun 1st 2008, 2:13 pm
Account Closed

Is Selby still that sad, sad station with one machine that does not give the bar of Cadbury chocolate, no matter how much money you put in?

If that is the case, you will never be welcome in my house, SORRY!

M
Old Jun 1st 2008, 2:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

docgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nice

Originally Posted by Machiavelli
Is Selby still that sad, sad station with one machine that does not give the bar of Cadbury chocolate, no matter how much money you put in?

If that is the case, you will never be welcome in my house, SORRY!

M
im going to lie and say thats not the place!

does that make me welcome?

thanks,

doc
Old Jun 1st 2008, 5:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of light

Absolutely LOVE this thread and have had loads of experiences in this area.
My husband is a Kiwi and we live in the UK so we have had loads of his family & friends to stay.

My dad is Spanish and lives in Spain and comes to stay with us in the Uk now and then.

Could tell you a few stories about visitors but the best is about my dad.

He ALWAYS gets out of paying the bills (or even his share) in restaurants.
So last time he visited we had a plan worked out - we ate out as normal and at the end of the meal when the bill was placed in the middle of the table we slid it over to my dad.
He picked it up and looked at it, commented "very reasonable" and then slid it back over to us!!
He also went next door to my neighbours while we were at work and asked my neighbour for a lift somewhere! My neighbour was too polite to say no. (We don't even know the neighbour expect to say "hello." !!)

Last time I went to visit him in Spain he said he was going to give me the money & the forms to pay his yearly National Insurance contribution for his British pension. When the time came for me to leave he gave me the forms but "forgot" to give me the cash to pay the NI contribution!!

I didn't notice until I got back to the UK and I told him in no uncertain terms that his NI contribution wasn't going to paid unless he paid some money into my bank account. !!!!!!!!

Families eh?????????? X

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.