Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

mortgage advice for Brisbane, Oz

mortgage advice for Brisbane, Oz

Old Jun 20th 2007, 11:58 am
BE Forum Addict

jazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond repute
Default mortgage advice for Brisbane, Oz

Ok guys, a lot of you will have read my thread regarding my marriage breakdown and i now need to start putting some things into perspective.

I have looked at one or two mortgage calculators on the internet and the figures for repaying a mortgage seem outrageous.

My question to you is how does a bloke on say A$25 an hour afford a house in the brisbane area? Is it possible. Have i got my sums wrong?

I would have roughly £30,000 in cold hard cash to put down. ( A$70,000 )

Jazzys
Old Jun 21st 2007, 4:08 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: mortgage advice for Brisbane, Oz

Originally Posted by jazzys
Ok guys, a lot of you will have read my thread regarding my marriage breakdown and i now need to start putting some things into perspective.

I have looked at one or two mortgage calculators on the internet and the figures for repaying a mortgage seem outrageous.

My question to you is how does a bloke on say A$25 an hour afford a house in the brisbane area? Is it possible. Have i got my sums wrong?

I would have roughly £30,000 in cold hard cash to put down. ( A$70,000 )

Jazzys
I'm afraid I can't help to much since we've only been here 3 weeks and are looking at buying ourselves.

I'm just wondering what areas you're looking in? My husband works in the Brisbane CBD and at the moment we're staying in Wellington Point. We are only looking at places about 30-45 minutes away on the train because it's just too expensive in the city.

I'm hoping you're just looking to close to the inner city.
Old Jun 21st 2007, 7:38 am
BE Forum Addict

jazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, I'm not really looking anywhere in particular but i do have friends in wynnum and forest lake. So being somewhere near one of them would be nice but its not imperative.

I just need to be near a school for my son, who is eleven.

Have you found things to be very expensive?

Jazzys
Old Jun 21st 2007, 8:15 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Well, I can't compare to the UK because we came from Canada. But I find most everything pretty well the same as in Canada.

I do find property to be expensive in some areas, but it's all relative to where you lived before. A big city in Canada would be pretty comparable to Brisbane. However a small rural town would be a lot cheaper.

I've heard the locals say that Manly has gotten expensive and that Wynnum is a lot more reasonable. Everyone seems to agree these areas are pretty nice though. Schools I don't know about since my children are still pretty young, I haven't looked into them yet.

I suggest having a look at this site. It gives you a rundown on each of the suburbs and also gives an average price.
http://www.ourbrisbane.com/living/suburbs/