Modern immigrants

Old Aug 3rd 2009, 11:53 am
Banned

WillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Modern immigrants

Originally Posted by kporte
Doesn't work well in the garden
Err, wouldn't it have been cheaper, not to mention less disruptive to family relations, to have put up a green house?

http://www.hartley-botanic.co.uk/bot...ervatories.php
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 12:00 pm
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by WillBlack
Err, wouldn't it have been cheaper, not to mention less disruptive to family relations, to have put up a green house?

http://www.hartley-botanic.co.uk/bot...ervatories.php
No thought for greenhouse gases eh?
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 12:04 pm
Banned

WillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond repute

No thought for greenhouse gases eh?
Vegetarian households could install one or more of these:
http://www.smarthome.com/3033/HE150-...changer/p.aspx
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 12:05 pm
Account Closed

Vegetarian households could install one or more of these:
http://www.smarthome.com/3033/HE150-...changer/p.aspx
Vegans? Fruitarians? These weirdos have to be catered for too!
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 12:07 pm
ABCDiamond

Err, wouldn't it have been cheaper,
not to mention less disruptive to family relations, to have put up a green house?
Tried it, but it wasn't quite what I wanted.....

Old Aug 3rd 2009, 12:10 pm
Banned

Vegans? Fruitarians? These weirdos have to be catered for too!
Dunno, self asphyxiation seems like poetic, if rough, justice.
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 1:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by onepearlyb
Obstacles were constantly put in our way
I've lived in half a dozen countries including non-English speaking ones, where the bureaucracy is a form of torture, yet I've never, ever thought that 'obstacles' were put in my way. I just wonder sometimes whether it's peoples attitudes that dictate whether they succeed or fail at things.
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 6:27 pm
shoot from the hip,baby

onepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Re: Modern immigrants

Originally Posted by sr71
I've lived in half a dozen countries including non-English speaking ones, where the bureaucracy is a form of torture, yet I've never, ever thought that 'obstacles' were put in my way. I just wonder sometimes whether it's peoples attitudes that dictate whether they succeed or fail at things.
Well, to be more clear - we felt no matter how hard we tried to make it work - it wouldn't. We house hunted every single weekend and through the week for thirteen months, except ONE weekend. We went to several house auctions, taking part and almost got the house we wanted but realised we'd actually be in over our heads if we'd paid what the price had got up to. Lucky escape there.
We were so desperate to stay in the area we rented in but just couldn't afford anything.
Sometimes - things just aren't meant to be, and yet we keep trying to make it work out. That was us.

Like it or not on here, no matter what anyone says - ( and I always feel as though I have to explain this as though I'm retaliating against the "we did it and made it work" folks ) - we tried our absolute best to make a good life in Oz, but it just didn't happen for us and we're far happier and better off now we're back in the Uk-financially,mentally and socially than we ever were in Oz.

I'm not getting into an argument with anyone about this.This was our observations and experiences and no matter what anyone says or thinks - it just didn't happen for us. We didn't "fail" at the venture, despite the desire,time,motivation,attitude and research we know we put into it.

Sometimes - it really is just as simple as that.
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 6:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

livinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond repute

I totally agree with your original post.
I remember not long after we'd moved to Melbourne, someone on here saying that perhaps I hadn't done enough research into the move! It wound me up no end as I'd spent the previous TWO years working towards the move.
Anyway, we got to Melbourne and despite having a decent combined salary - we still couldn't make it work for us.Obstacles were constantly put in our way and we felt desperately unhappy and unsettled. We felt we were living in a groundhog day scenario.
We returned to the Uk in Feb of this year and I can state that I am 110% happy with the decision to move back. We are actually LIVING and have more in our lives now than we had in Oz. We finally bought our own house which has helped us put down some roots. I have no regrets or doubts whatsoever about returning here. It's been the best thing we've done in years. Life is happening and moving at last!

I wholeheartedly agree that succesful immigration depends largely on good finances - and is not the easy going, carefree, sunshine and big house ideal that so many believe it to be.
Atleast you know you can move on with your life now,good luck and lots of happiness in the future!
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 6:52 pm
ABCDiamond

Like it or not on here, no matter what anyone says - ( and I always feel as though I have to explain this as though I'm retaliating against the "we did it and made it work" folks ) - we tried our absolute best to make a good life in Oz, but it just didn't happen for us and we're far happier and better off now we're back in the Uk-financially,mentally and socially than we ever were in Oz.

I'm not getting into an argument with anyone about this.This was our observations and experiences and no matter what anyone says or thinks - it just didn't happen for us. We didn't "fail" at the venture, despite the desire,time,motivation,attitude and research we know we put into it.

Sometimes - it really is just as simple as that.
No one should class it as a failure, and you shouldn't need to feel that you need to explain, after all, we are all different and prefer different things and different places.

The only time anyone needs to explain, is when they say something isn't right for 'everyone else' as well.

In your case it isn't a failure, it is a success: you have been, you have tried, and you have found what you want. It may not have been where you thought, but what counts is that you now know for sure.

Old Aug 3rd 2009, 7:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

livinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond repute

onepearlyb:You know what?You have something alot of people don't have and thats peace of mind!There is nothing worse than living in limboland.To feel totally settled somewhere says alot in my eyes!Best of luck pet!
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 8:16 pm
shoot from the hip,baby

onepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers guys!!
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 8:19 pm
Account Closed

Cheers guys!!
Now you have it out of your system PB! Good luck