Wikiposts

Modern immigrants

Old Jul 31st 2009, 2:42 am
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Modern immigrants

research, statistics, aint my style,

i have came here with the same hopes and dreams as many, many, british immigrants for the last 100 years, but i feel its time to let go of the myths, on the whole for us it was the wrong thing to do,yep, no doubt, people will come on this thread, with 'did u do your research, blah, blah, blah, well, yes, actually we did, but all things considered (especially education and health), we should have stayed where we were.

Immigration is no longer for anyone, its for people with money
Old Jul 31st 2009, 3:54 am
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Modern immigrants

Originally Posted by Margaret3

i have came here with the same hopes and dreams as many, many, british immigrants for the last 100 years, but i feel its time to let go of the myths, on the whole for us it was the wrong thing to do,yep, no doubt, people will come on this thread, with 'did u do your research, blah, blah, blah, well, yes, actually we did, but all things considered (especially education and health), we should have stayed where we were.

Short, succinct and very true.
Hope whatever you decide now works out.
Old Jul 31st 2009, 9:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Bad day huh?

So true - no amount of research can tell you whether you will belong or not. Life is all about chasing opportunities and if one of them goes pear shaped then find another.

Good luck with whatever you do from here on!
Old Jul 31st 2009, 10:59 am
BE Forum Addict

framac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond repute

Are you still struggling Mags. It sounds as if you've made your mind up but that invite tae Mackay still stands and for a nursey, they'd luv you.
Old Jul 31st 2009, 12:13 pm
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute

Oh Mags, I hate reading your posts like this, you are such an upbeat person and I hate that this hasn't been working out for you. I sooo wish it was different. I keep hoping that something's going to "click" for you and make it right. Maybe it's right round the corner waiting for you?

See you in a couple of weeks for that catch up we've been promising each other

Gill
Old Jul 31st 2009, 1:00 pm
ABCDiamond

Research actually counts for very little, as it isn't until you are 'living' here that you can really tell what it is really like.

There is a definite difference between the migrants from 50 years ago to today's version.

I feel that today's migrants are looking for much more than their predecessors' were. Many of those migrants from years ago, just wanted a new life, no matter how different, especially after both wars. Today most of us move for betterment, rather than just something different.

Setting up in a new place is very hard, and it isn't for everyone, and when some things do not go according to plan, it can feel much worse in a new unknown environment. The reaction to that is often to want to return to familiar surroundings, which is a totally normal reaction.

I feel like I am waffling.... this isn't normally me... give me stats any day... i'm off.....

Old Jul 31st 2009, 1:04 pm
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

Mags, Mags, Mags...

I absolutely hear you. I remember you having those dreams etc. Anyone who meets you will know that you are no fool. You took the same gamble as everyone else but the cards did not fall the right way.

I really hope that you can either find what you are looking for here or somewhere else or get back home if that is the best place for you and yours.
Old Jul 31st 2009, 1:27 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

No arguments from me - you're spot on - research counts for **** all. Until you're actually living somewhere you have no idea what it's going to be like - and all the blue skies, beaches and barbies in the world won't alter that fact.
Old Jul 31st 2009, 4:34 pm
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

I disagree, immigration is still possible for everyone, and millions will continue moving to new areas and countries, in order to try and make their lives better....regardless of whether or not they are rich or poor.

When you think about it, the idea of a British expat is somewhat absurd. Britain is, by all accounts, one of the best countries in the world. It is prosperous, has good healthcare, a rich heritage, so many great things going for it. So why would someone want to move?

The same line of thinking applies to western Europe, North America, and Australia. Many millions of people across the world are trying to move to these countries because these countries offer freedom*, equality and opportunity. Many people would literally give their left legs to get a British passport.

Then there are those of us who move between these countries. Many of us are also seeking a better lifestyle. Unfortunately not all of us find it...many of us just find a different lifestyle to the one that we already had. At which point we realise, our old lifestyle wasn't too bad after all !!

On the subject of money, we all like to think that a little bit more would make our lives easier. Of course it does. But then that forces another question to be considered - would you have even considered making the move to another first world western country, if you were already very well off and living a comfortable life?

* in varying amounts of course.
Old Jul 31st 2009, 4:38 pm
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Anyway Margaret3, perhaps you have been having a run of bad luck lately, like many of us.... If that's the case I really hope you have a well deserved run of good luck, whether it is here in Oz or back home.

cheers
Old Jul 31st 2009, 4:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=asprill

On the subject of money, we all like to think that a little bit more would make our lives easier. Of course it does. But then that forces another question to be considered - would you have even considered making the move to another first world western country, if you were already very well off and living a comfortable life?

[/QUOTE]

Yes we did - had a good lifestyle, were well off and both had very well paid jobs - we came here because OH was headhunted - thought why not and here we are. Would we have come without a job as many do? probably not.

However, I do find it difficult to understand how people think they can move over here and then have more than they had in the UK. If you earn 20,000 pounds a year in the UK doing a job you are probably not going to earn much more here. Personally I fail to understand why people would think it would be any different. As for housing costs near the city, surely most people will realise that this will be expensive and to live in a good suburb more expensive still - this is the same the world over - this is not unique to Australia.

What is good about Australia is the way of life and you don't have to earn a fortune to enjoy this.
Old Jul 31st 2009, 4:56 pm
Account Open

Originally Posted by Hebe
Yes we did - had a good lifestyle, were well off and both had very well paid jobs - we came here because OH was headhunted - thought why not and here we are. Would we have come without a job as many do? probably not.

However, I do find it difficult to understand how people think they can move over here and then have more than they had in the UK. If you earn 20,000 pounds a year in the UK doing a job you are probably not going to earn much more here. Personally I fail to understand why people would think it would be any different. As for housing costs near the city, surely most people will realise that this will be expensive and to live in a good suburb more expensive still - this is the same the world over - this is not unique to Australia.

What is good about Australia is the way of life and you don't have to earn a fortune to enjoy this.
I completely agree with you... Here in Australia you don't need a lot of money to enjoy what the country has to offer.

But on the flipside, it can be hard living in this country if your pockets are always empty, and this is only exasperated by a lack of support from friends/family, who are typically on the other side of the world.
Old Jul 31st 2009, 4:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by asprilla
I completely agree with you... Here in Australia you don't need a lot of money to enjoy what the country has to offer.

But on the flipside, it can be hard living in this country if your pockets are always empty, and this is only exasperated by a lack of support from friends/family, who are typically on the other side of the world.

I can understand that too - I come from a very poor family in a wealthy town and it could be hard being the poor neighbours!
Old Jul 31st 2009, 5:01 pm
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

mags I wish you the best and hope things turn for you but I disagree with the staement that immigration is for those with money.
Our (this generations) expectations are too high of what our basics are in order to "live".

agreed education and health is expensive but atleast its available. For many of our "fore-immigrants" there was nothing at all except for an even elitist group.

As I say I wish you and everyone the best
Old Jul 31st 2009, 5:07 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by asprilla
I have never understood this concept. If you are prepared to sit on a beach all day, then yes, its cheap. You want more than that, then surprise, surprise its going to cost you money. Australia is a first world country and very little is cheap or free because of it... certainly no more so than any other similar country.

I agree with the OP that's its very difficult to make a go of it here if its a constant financial struggle. Just as it would be in the UK.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.