Modern immigrants

Old Aug 2nd 2009, 9:25 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Modern immigrants

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Two stories here...

http://www.abc.net.au/tv/guide/netw/...007T203000.htm

http://www.abc.net.au/gnt/history/Tr...s/s1071227.htm

Over one quarter of the 'Ten Pound Poms' fled home, escaping 'Pommy bashing' and resentment from Australians for 'job stealing', and craving the hustle and bustle of Europe. But nearly half of the 250,000 Brits who returned to the UK sailed back to Australia again after reassessing England, thus becoming known as the "Boomerang Poms".
That's a pretty good success rate given that things were a lot tougher in those days and it was easier to take the decision to give it a go.
Old Aug 2nd 2009, 9:32 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by paulry
That's a pretty good success rate given that things were a lot tougher in those days and it was easier to take the decision to give it a go.
The number of "Boomerang Poms" was very high, at nearly 50%, but then the UK was in the throws of the Post War era, and 'anything' that wasn't war ravaged may have been better.

Old Aug 2nd 2009, 9:49 pm
ABCDiamond

I was just reading those links I gave....

A few clips from some 1960's newsreeels:

INTERVIEWER: Do you think that some migrants come out expecting a little more than they find?

GEORGE THORP: Some expect to come out and sit on the beach and wait for money and pineapples on every tide.

GEORGE THORP (WATCHING FOOTAGE): Some of the migrants thought they'd just fall into clover. I realised you couldn't do that. You had to work to earn it.

Then again, there's the whingeing Pom who'll moan and groan and go on and on and tell you nothing here is as good as back home. But for every one that you get like that, there's a thousand to whom I'd raise my hat. And I'm glad they choose this land to make their home.

INTERVIEWER: Do you wash?
WOMAN 2: Oh, of course I do, yeah!
INTERVIEWER: Are you a Pom?

There's still that tug there that, you know, I'm...I'm still English, as well as Australian. But Australia here is home now.
Some things haven't changed.........

Old Aug 2nd 2009, 9:51 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

I was just reading those links I gave....

A few clips from some 1960's newsreeels:

Some things haven't changed.........
Indeed.
Old Aug 2nd 2009, 10:04 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Two stories here...

http://www.abc.net.au/tv/guide/netw/...007T203000.htm

http://www.abc.net.au/gnt/history/Tr...s/s1071227.htm

Over one quarter of the 'Ten Pound Poms' fled home, escaping 'Pommy bashing' and resentment from Australians for 'job stealing', and craving the hustle and bustle of Europe. But nearly half of the 250,000 Brits who returned to the UK sailed back to Australia again after reassessing England, thus becoming known as the "Boomerang Poms".
Interesting that the blurb about the program has different numbers than they produced in the program itself... I clearly remember a figure of over 35% as the numbers returning because I was really surprised by it. Debatable if any of the numbers rolled out have any real degree of accuracy.
Old Aug 2nd 2009, 10:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Dont know that anyone has done a survey of L10 poms within close enough memory - I would guess that for every one that went back to UK there would have been two that would have liked to have gone. I have no evidence for that other than discussions with long time expats and have encountered a number, especially women, who pretty much say that they sacrificed their own happiness for their kids and, lets face it, there was considerably more displacement and disruption in post war Britain than there was in Australia so returning wasnt nearly as an attractive an option. I think my husband's grandparents were stuck here rather than relishing it but their kids, including DH's mum, was young enough when she came here that she didnt ever consider going home.
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 9:45 am
shoot from the hip,baby

onepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond repute

I totally agree with your original post.
I remember not long after we'd moved to Melbourne, someone on here saying that perhaps I hadn't done enough research into the move! It wound me up no end as I'd spent the previous TWO years working towards the move.
Anyway, we got to Melbourne and despite having a decent combined salary - we still couldn't make it work for us.Obstacles were constantly put in our way and we felt desperately unhappy and unsettled. We felt we were living in a groundhog day scenario.
We returned to the Uk in Feb of this year and I can state that I am 110% happy with the decision to move back. We are actually LIVING and have more in our lives now than we had in Oz. We finally bought our own house which has helped us put down some roots. I have no regrets or doubts whatsoever about returning here. It's been the best thing we've done in years. Life is happening and moving at last!

I wholeheartedly agree that succesful immigration depends largely on good finances - and is not the easy going, carefree, sunshine and big house ideal that so many believe it to be.

Last edited by onepearlyb; Aug 3rd 2009 at 9:48 am.
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 10:36 am
Banned

WillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by onepearlyb
I totally agree with your original post.
I remember not long after we'd moved to Melbourne, someone on here saying that perhaps I hadn't done enough research into the move! It wound me up no end as I'd spent the previous TWO years working towards the move.
Anyway, we got to Melbourne and despite having a decent combined salary - we still couldn't make it work for us.Obstacles were constantly put in our way and we felt desperately unhappy and unsettled. We felt we were living in a groundhog day scenario.
We returned to the Uk in Feb of this year and I can state that I am 110% happy with the decision to move back. We are actually LIVING and have more in our lives now than we had in Oz. We finally bought our own house which has helped us put down some roots. I have no regrets or doubts whatsoever about returning here. It's been the best thing we've done in years. Life is happening and moving at last!

I wholeheartedly agree that succesful immigration depends largely on good finances - and is not the easy going, carefree, sunshine and big house ideal that so many believe it to be.
I don't get why you'd think of emigrating in the first place. A temporary move for a few years perhaps. But to contemplate emigration seems to indicate that the British are still in colonizing mode.
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 11:01 am
Banned

Originally Posted by WillBlack
I don't get why you'd think of emigrating in the first place. A temporary move for a few years perhaps. But to contemplate emigration seems to indicate that the British are still in colonizing mode.
Were you not a "coloniser"?
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 11:07 am
Banned

WillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry
Were you not a "coloniser"?
I was not, am still not, likely never to be but not prescient so the possibility exists.
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 11:11 am
Banned

I was not, am still not, likely never to be but not prescient so the possibility exists.
Oh good, that clears that up then
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 11:23 am
ABCDiamond

But to contemplate emigration seems to indicate that the British are still in colonizing mode.
Naaa, Just looking for better weather

Old Aug 3rd 2009, 11:26 am
Banned

Naaa, Just looking for better weather
Wasn't British central heating up to the job?
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 11:32 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Wasn't British central heating up to the job?
Doesn't work well in the garden
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 11:34 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kporte
Doesn't work well in the garden

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.