Modern immigrants

Old Aug 2nd 2009, 9:49 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Modern immigrants

Originally Posted by Margaret3
I would love to read some material on this, is there any around that you know of
Here is a start... http://epress.anu.edu.au/anu_lives/t...ices/ch08.html

British migrants from the 1940s to the 1960s, with some particular reference here to marital and family relations.[2] ‘How we emigrate now’ has undergone profound changes since about the 1960s,

Old Aug 2nd 2009, 12:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond repute

well hebe, good for you, am jealous you had it all worked out before you came, am assuming you came from the same circumstances with the same aged kids as me, the same education, experiences, and the same background as everyone else who posts on BE, thank goodness on Be we are all the same and have people like you to tell us where we came from and where we're going wrong.

where in my post does it say that I had it all worked out before we came?

No I am not the same as you or anyone else on this forum - we are all different and all from different backgrounds but this has nothing to do with backgrounds which you often bring up in posts.
Old Aug 2nd 2009, 3:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

[There is a definite difference between the migrants from 50 years ago to today's version.

[/QUOTE]

Yeah most of the poor buggers were stuck 'ere no 24 hour flights back home then.

If you think its hard getting out of australia now, (family complications/economics ) can you imagine it back then

Read some thoughts from immigrant women all sorts of eras, ( melb museum I think ) most thought they had been dropped in hell well that was not their words but meaning was the same.

Felt sorry for the 10 pound pom women, they were really 'sold' some overdone image of OZ, the reality was a total shock.
Old Aug 2nd 2009, 4:31 pm
Banned

WillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond repute

Seems to me that Poms have been documented as searching for Utopia at least since 1516.
Old Aug 2nd 2009, 5:11 pm

gedge has disabled reputation

I know where you're at Mags. No pearls of wisdom, just sincere thoughts for you. Take care x
Old Aug 2nd 2009, 5:33 pm

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

Mags I'm so sorry things are still that way for you I hope you can work things out somewhere so that you are happier. best wishes
Old Aug 2nd 2009, 6:57 pm
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

Just thought I would drop this in and apols if slightly off topic. I tend to do that.

We had a poster on here a few years back who sadly passed away. I think their username was the crone (perhaps someone could clarify for me). Anyways they went to a lot of trouble and posted their experiences of when they came to Aus many many years back. I believe they were assisted migrants. It was an unbelievable read and I would recommend everyone to have a read. Will try to search out links later.

sorry for going abit off topic
Old Aug 2nd 2009, 7:08 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by WillBlack
Seems to me that Poms have been documented as searching for Utopia at least since 1516.
It's interesting the combination of the two greek words;
Eutopia - "perfect"
and
Outopia = "fictional"
came to become
Utopia = "perfect fictional place"

Old Aug 2nd 2009, 7:13 pm
Banned

WillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
It's interesting the combination of the two greek words;
Eutopia - "perfect"
and
Outopia = "fictional"
came to become
Utopia = "perfect fictional place"
Oz.
Old Aug 2nd 2009, 7:19 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by WillBlack
Oz.
Oztopia... a land of red sand and strange bouncing animals. Oh wait, that might be somewhere else.
Old Aug 2nd 2009, 7:39 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Yeah most of the poor buggers were stuck 'ere :
Felt sorry for the 10 pound pom women, they were really 'sold' some overdone image of OZ, the reality was a total shock.
That's interesting, I heard that most were happy to be here. Pity I can't find statistics to confirm which of us is correct

Old Aug 2nd 2009, 7:56 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
That's interesting, I heard that most were happy to be here. Pity I can't find statistics to confirm which of us is correct
I saw the TV program that was mentioned earlier about the ten pound poms. I remember being surprised at just how high the return rate was, in the high 30%, and that many who did stay hated it as well.... though obviously plenty loved the place and went on to call it home.
I particularly remember the old lady who was one of the focus of the program. She had been in Oz the bulk of her adult life.... and hated every min of it. Her husband had recently died and she was returning to England to, in her own words "die at home". Very sad.
Old Aug 2nd 2009, 8:31 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
I saw the TV program that was mentioned earlier about the ten pound poms. I remember being surprised at just how high the return rate was, in the high 30%, and that many who did stay hated it as well.... though obviously plenty loved the place and went on to call it home.
I particularly remember the old lady who was one of the focus of the program. She had been in Oz the bulk of her adult life.... and hated every min of it. Her husband had recently died and she was returning to England to, in her own words "die at home". Very sad.
"We was conned, we was. Paid 10 paaands n' all. Told we'd 'ave the big 'ouse and posh job. Lied to and conned from day one, we was."
Old Aug 2nd 2009, 9:01 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=livinginreality;7806510]
Well my parents emigrated to Oz 40 years ago!I was a small child back then.We were met at the airport by a coach,and then transferred to Pennington Hostel.I recall my Mum saying "What in gods name have we done"?Pennington is in Port Adelaide which is industrial!!!Nice start!we stayed there for 10 weeks which in that time my father secured work as a plumber.My parents managed to buy a new build house which was 1/4 of the size of the house they had left behind!Unfortunately my father died 14 years ago,but both my parents never felt truly settled,and even to this day my Mum still wants to come "home"but feels she can't because of her family being there!(kids and grand kids).There was a series on here fairly recently that had been repeated about the £10 poms,not sure whether you can buy it on a dvd???
i think I've seen it (£10 poms) somewhere on youtube
Old Aug 2nd 2009, 9:13 pm
ABCDiamond

Two stories here...

http://www.abc.net.au/tv/guide/netw/...007T203000.htm

http://www.abc.net.au/gnt/history/Tr...s/s1071227.htm

Over one quarter of the 'Ten Pound Poms' fled home, escaping 'Pommy bashing' and resentment from Australians for 'job stealing', and craving the hustle and bustle of Europe. But nearly half of the 250,000 Brits who returned to the UK sailed back to Australia again after reassessing England, thus becoming known as the "Boomerang Poms".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.